A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Planter's Choice in a series

Re: Planter's Choice in a series
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #58537 by dtandfambly
Dec 24, 2006 11:56am
Board
I don't think it is possible the way things are set up right now. This is the the same as the Blue Diamond applies to a whole series. That is how some boxes that have never had a finder still end up with a BD. Seperating them out is the only way, but that too is not easy- you would need to retire one then relist it, because once a box is part of a series, it remains a part of the series.

P Banks/ 4 Little Piggies
Reply to: #58541 by 4 little piggies
Dec 24, 2006 12:09pm
Board
OK, thanks for that info! That helps me to think about how I will plant the next series.

't'
dtnadfambly
Reply to: #58537 by dtandfambly
Dec 24, 2006 2:55pm
Board
Quote If I have a series of boxes, but want to award one particular one with a planter's choice, how would I do that?

So what you're saying is, "Here's a series of boxes for your entertainment, but if you're pressed for time I suggest you do just this one in the series."?
Reply to: #58557 by Kirbert
Dec 24, 2006 7:11pm
Board
Quote So what you're saying is, "Here's a series of boxes for your entertainment, but if you're pressed for time I suggest you do just this one in the series."?

Well, I guess that's one way of putting it, but in a nutshell, it's expected that people will look for an entire series rather than individual boxes in it, so the attributes are applied to the whole series.

Boxes you don't expect people to find in a single outing generally should be listed individually rather than a series.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #58580 by Green Tortuga
Dec 26, 2006 7:01am
Board
Qoute
"Boxes you don't expect people to find in a single outing generally should be listed individually rather than a series."

Well, maybe that is the gist of my problem. All three of these boxes could be found in a day (even within a half of a day), but they have not, thus far, and they are not necessarily convenient for doing so. Maybe, in retrospect, I should've listed them seperately. Can I change that now?
Should I? Each one represents a bridge of special significance in our county. So they definitely have a connected theme. And if someone were going to be visiting the area for a short time, I would highly recommend doing all three at once. Great way to get an overview of this area.
Reply to: #58733 by dtandfambly
Dec 26, 2006 7:05am
Board
I think a theme could be called a series! -I have one going myself that has some boxes together and some spread out... and plan on continueing throughout the year! But it's all the same subject matter therefore I've designated it a series. People can read the clues to decide if they are together, separate or what! -And how much time they need to find them. If the series is ongoing, as mine is, how else are you going to do it? I think your bridge series is appropriately so.

~Queen Beeloved
Reply to: #58734 by Queen Beeloved
Dec 26, 2006 7:09am
Board
I didn't list these all under the same box with the clues bunched together though. I started each individual box out with the same name and listed them separately. So for your's you could name them Bridges of ___ county: (bridge name?) and the only thing that would change is the bridge name at the end... Is that clear as mudd or what?! Then they are all linked but individual as well.

~Queen Beeloved
Reply to: #58735 by Queen Beeloved
Dec 26, 2006 7:21am
Board
I've had them listed as three boxes under one listing, but I think I will change it as you suggested, so that there are three different listings, but headed as the same name, Right now they are collectively Bridges of Greenville County.
not listing as series
Reply to: #58735 by Queen Beeloved
Dec 26, 2006 8:23am
Board
Quote I think a theme could be called a series! -I have one going myself that has some boxes together and some spread out... and plan on continueing throughout the year! But it's all the same subject matter therefore I've designated it a series.

I did the opposite with my Play Ball themed boxes.
I saw theat there would be problems in the future if I tried putting these in a series.
I was gonna keep adding to the themed series of boxes but listing them as a series was out.
I didn't want one box affecting the entire bunch and that is exactly what happens in series.

what I did was...
I added a symbol to the title (+) so that
+ GoJo +
+ The Good Life +
+ Double Play +
+ Safe or Out +
+ Batter Up +
(with the little plus sign intact in the title of the LB)
are all boxes that are part of that Play Ball themed series but they are listed seperately. I can add a box anytime, anywhere without messing with the others.

I recommend this method....just specify in each clue that it is part of an ongoing series and that each LB in that series will be identified with the +, or an *, or -, or ~ within the title...or you can name them like folks do for postal rings. I coulda called them
Play Ball: GoJo
Play Ball: Batter Up
Play Ball: The Good Life
etc....

works for me!!!

dixie
Reply to: #58734 by Queen Beeloved
Dec 26, 2006 8:38am
Board
My Lewis and Clark Series of Mystery Boxes spanned the continent from Virginia to Washington State and definitely could not be gotten in a single day! :-) Unfortunately most of the series in missing now, but it was fun to put them out there.

-amanda from seattle
Dec 26, 2006 8:53am
Board
Quote they definitely have a connected theme.

I have boxes that have a connected theme but I listed them as seperate boxes with a connecting name. I didn't want to make them a series because some folks feel their collection isn't complete without all in a series. I made them seperate boxes so if one went missing it wouldn't spoil the collection.

Shiloh
Dec 26, 2006 9:21am
Board
Quote All three of these boxes could be found in a day (even within a half of a day), but they have not, thus far, and they are not necessarily convenient for doing so. Maybe, in retrospect, I should've listed them seperately. Can I change that now?

If the boxes already have a lot of finds, let me separate them.

There are two different kinds of themes. The first kind are a series of boxes located on a single hike that you would expect most people to get on a single outing. The second kind could be scattered across the country or even the world but have a single theme tying them together (45 Parallel series, for instance) and are better listed as individual boxes. AQ doesn't really support this type of series. Just list them invidually and use a naming convention so it's obvious that all the boxes are related. You could also provide a link on each page to link to other boxes in the series if you really want to make sure they know about the other boxes.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #58756 by Green Tortuga
Dec 26, 2006 9:30am
Board
Quote Just list them invidually and use a naming convention so it's obvious that all the boxes are related. You could also provide a link on each page to link to other boxes in the series if you really want to make sure they know about the other boxes.

-- Ryan

Sierra Sally, Buzzard,Paper Dance, Gwen and Don have several "Outlaws" letterboxes in California. Each one has it's own page and in some of ours I have included links to the others. That way they stand on their own.

Don