A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: The Critics and Questioners

Re: The Critics and Questioners
Board: Traditional Letterboxes
Reply to: #58390 by teekasue
Dec 24, 2006 6:30pm
Board
Quote ...and what about the critics who think your wording is wrong.....whatever! Plant what you plant and hunt what you hunt and leave the rest ....right???

I went and looked at all your traditional boxes and really liked the clues. You made a game out of the hunt but were pretty specific about the location of the box. I didn't see any glaring mistakes, except for a couple of mispellings, but they did not distort the meaning of the sentence. I had to look up the word creche and was glad because here it is Christmas eve! I love to learn new words and as a full-time writer I didn't have any problem figuring out your clues.
Reply to: #58566 by Dixie
Dec 24, 2006 6:30pm
Board
Today we found a letterbox with a big rock IN it. It was right in a tree, I assume the rock was there to keep it from falling out of the tree. It was hidden in plain sight....any closer and it would have jumped out at us. It was a great find!
Reply to: #58574 by Rick in Boca
Dec 25, 2006 2:53am
Board
Thanks for the look! Now go hunt! : ) I can't type/spell sorry I am getting getter so my Dh says....I love him soooo. Hope everyone had a nice peaceful Chirstmas eve....and if you really did I envy YOU....ahhh the chaos. It will be over soon so I am enjoying it now, we realized that we will probably only have our oldest living here at our home for 3 more Christmases...YIKES what happened he was just learning to ridie a bike that Santa brought........'sigh'
Make a great memory today!
teekasue
Reply to: #58465 by Kirbert
Dec 25, 2006 10:14am
Board
Quote Then there was the letterboxer who, on the hunt for one of my boxes, whipped out his cell phone and called me up!

that's called the phone a friend method of boxing :) I have been known to do that :) Usually only if I think I'm at the spot and the box seems to be missing.. then i will call and say.. this is where I'm at.. this is where i've looked.. am I in the right spot??? All I want is a yes or no.. no further hints if it's a no.

We also tend to call my husband for clue research, directions, or to read us further clues if we forgot a box in the area. He's our "eye in the sky".

Maiden
Reply to: #58622 by Maiden
Dec 25, 2006 10:28am
Board
I actually just had this same experience. Mizscarlet was kind enough to look up the clues for a letterbox and relate them to me over the phone, so I could find that and another of hers that was hidden in the area.

I texted her as a way of posting the fing on the second box...
Reply to: #58622 by Maiden
Dec 25, 2006 11:10am
Board
Quote the phone a friend method of boxing :) I have been known to do that :) Usually only if I think I'm at the spot and the box seems to be missing..

Yeah, I've had that happen, too -- when the guy was at the right spot, and the box was missing! But the case I was talking about was when somebody was just following the clues, calls me up as he's going, and asks which way he's supposed to go at each landmark. Like I'm supposed to talk him through each step of the hunt.

This probably has to do with our modern cell phone culture.
Reply to: #58636 by Kirbert
Dec 25, 2006 1:36pm
Board
But how did he have your number? Is he a friend of yours? If so, you could always be a good influence and bring him boxing with you sometime and show him the ropes.

LW PhD
"Nice Counts"
Dec 26, 2006 4:19pm
Board
I once searched for HOURS for a box (it was an are where there were thousands of little trails criss-crossing through a forest) because somewhere near the start of the hunt, one of the trails had been obscured by the fact that there was a pond where the trail usually is. Apparently, that doesn't usually happen. But I didn't know this, and emailed the planter explaining just exactly where I got sort of confused, and the steps I took to try to solve the problem. He was really nice, and said he'd go check on the box to be sure it was there since there had been a huge storm and so much damage to the trails. A little bit later, he assured me it was there, and gave me a kind hint. Not so much a hint, but just restated a key part of the clue that maybe I missed. He certainly didn't give anything away! When I went back, it was STILL a long search, but I really REALLY appreciated that he answered me, saying the box was definitely still there and that he hadn't really thought about how the storm would have affected things. It was cool, because I felt sort of connected to the letterboxing community more than before, since it was my first real conversation with a planter.

monotonia
Reply to: #58425 by Lock Wench
Dec 26, 2006 8:47pm
Board
My father, and my grandfather for that matter, always said "Your right to swing your arm ends at my nose."

..oughta be a bumper sticker in there somewhere...
Reply to: #58816 by monotonia
Dec 26, 2006 11:15pm
Board
I love feed back from people who have actually walked thru the trsil physically went to the site and looked and yet had NO luck ....my main issue is with those who ask for info for things before they even take a chance and go for it.....sometimes the very questions they are asking are obvious on the trail but NOT from GOOGLE EARTH or Map Quest ...it sometimes takes a little faith and gas!!! Just jump in with both feet if you wnat or it sounds interesting, before you assume the clue giver is somehow wrong and has holes in thier head......OK soap box over......oh yeah and when you do get a "help" please have the courtesy to at least HUNT the box at some point ....don't you think that might be proper???
Not sure but I try and try and I am soooo excited when I finally get to the "solved" side of the class.....no more dunce cap! hehe I go get that thing ASAP jsut to prove that I am NOT a doof....it is always righ tin front of my nose.....right Tdyans???? ; )

teekasue
Reply to: #58601 by teekasue
Dec 27, 2006 9:37am
Board
On the 26th, my eldest announced he'd called for a ride and was heading back to school early. No discussion, no reason given, just..I wanted to get back early.

He was supposed to stay until 1/2.

I keep trying to remember how it was when I was that age...and I suppose, if I had the option, I would have wanted to go pal around with my buds too. I mean, he DID spend a whole four days at home.

This parenting thing is so HARD.
Dec 30, 2006 9:29am
Board
If someone is so intent on finding one of my letterboxes, that they contact me, you had better believe that I'll give them some kind of a hint. I don't mind the phone call from the trail, because then we can play "you're getting warmer" over teh phone.

I personally love the way this hobby, which is sneaky and furtive fosters friendship!

Lisascenic
Reply to: #59660 by lisascenic
Dec 30, 2006 6:16pm
Board
Hey you know what.... I'd do the same thing. I wouldn't give them
A freebie find but help them along there journey..
Reply to: #58424 by Kirbert
Dec 30, 2006 11:32pm
Board
Quote I'd just as soon they not even know for certain that I got the e-mail.

If your name is boldfaced in their list of sent mail, they know you haven't read it.
But if you read it, your name will be in plain text, and the fact that you've read it will be as plain as the text.
No hiding that, I don't think. Sorry.

~MC
Reply to: #59776 by Mama Cache
Dec 31, 2006 6:22am
Board
Actually, if you have your AQ mail forwarded to your offsite email account, it will show up as read mail whether or not you've actually seen it yet, so it looks like plain text.
Dec 31, 2006 6:52am
Board
I like a lot of the responses here--some of them have been very informative, and will help me in writing clues, I think.

As for your dilemma, I agree with those who've said that if your clue is a little ambiguous, that is your right as a clue writer--we aren't here to be spoonfed. The only time I get frustrated is when I look for a box where the clue is "look for the box under the large cedar tree" in a huge cedar forest where no other indication of the placement is given. There was a discussion a while back that was called, I think, "Dead Forest Clues" that talked about this. As long as that isn't what we're talking about (and given lisascenic's response, it sound like you're in the clear there), then be as cryptic as you like.

I do have one suggestion as to what to write to those who ask questions, though, if you do feel inclined to respond, although it may be something you are doing already. I think I'd probably come up with a standard answer to questions, and send that out so that you don't even have to think about it--just cut and paste. You could even write yourself an AQ email and archive it so that it is readily available whenever you need the text. Then you could modify it if there actually is what you would consider to be a valid question in there somewhere.

One other thing--maybe in your clues you could indicate that you are not willing to give hints on your boxes. Not saying that you are remiss if you haven't done that, or that you should have to, but if you do put that in, it might eliminate at least some of the questions you are getting, and then I think you can feel free to just not respond to emails about the box, since you've already given fair warning.

Pied Piper
Reply to: #59793 by Pied Piper
Dec 31, 2006 11:56am
Board
Quote ...maybe in your clues you could indicate that you are not willing to give hints on your boxes.

The list of little notes that must be included in the clues is getting longer and longer. While for the most part that works, the problem I have with it is when your clues deliberately don't look like letterbox clues, they look like some random web page. For example, with my "My Fishing Trip to Lake Miccosukee", when you click on "click here for clue" you're taken directly to this page:

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/LakeMiccosukeeFishingTrip.html

I think you'd agree, having a paragraph describing whether hitchhikers will fit in this box, and another paragraph clarifying whether the stamp image is suitable for small children, and a paragraph explaining whether or not you'll respond to questions about more info would all detract from the intended look and feel of this clue set.

That's basically why I'd like as much of this info as possible to be conveyed by icons; it allows the clues to be as cryptic or unusual as desired without depriving finders of some basic information that they might need.
Reply to: #59776 by Mama Cache
Dec 31, 2006 12:01pm
Board
Quote If your name is boldfaced in their list of sent mail, they know you haven't read it.
But if you read it, your name will be in plain text, and the fact that you've read it will be as plain as the text.
No hiding that, I don't think. Sorry.

I'm sorry, but no software in the world can tell anybody whether or not I've read a message. It might be able to tell them if I've opened it, but it can't tell them I didn't just delete without reading.

-- Kirbert
Reply to: #59856 by Kirbert
Dec 31, 2006 12:26pm
Board
Quote The list of little notes that must be included in the clues is getting longer and longer. While for the most part that works, the problem I have with it is when your clues deliberately don't look like letterbox clues, they look like some random web page. For example, with my "My Fishing Trip to Lake Miccosukee", when you click on "click here for clue" you're taken directly to this page:

http://www.nettally.com/palmk/LakeMiccosukeeFishingTrip.html

I think you'd agree, having a paragraph describing whether hitchhikers will fit in this box, and another paragraph clarifying whether the stamp image is suitable for small children, and a paragraph explaining whether or not you'll respond to questions about more info would all detract from the intended look and feel of this clue set.

That's basically why I'd like as much of this info as possible to be conveyed by icons; it allows the clues to be as cryptic or unusual as desired without depriving finders of some basic information that they might need.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that anyone should HAVE to put anything in their clues. I only made that suggestion because it might make things easier for the planter who was having to deal with people asking for spoon-feeding on the clues. My motivation was to spare her (I think the original poster was female:-) some frustration, hoping that people would be forewarned that they would not receive an answer if they asked for a ridiculous amount (or any if the planter wishes for people to rely solely on her clues) help. This suggestion was entirely meant for the planter's benefit, not the finder's.

As far as icons are concerned, if there is a need by a particular planter to use a larger number of icons than are available on AQ, they could host their clues on their own web page with a series of icons which they themselves have created, and then just include a key as to what those icons mean. There are already some planters who link to their own web pages (Springchick comes to mind), and if you are using your own pages, you have total control of icons, content, format, everything. That would give you the benefit of using whatever icons you like, with the added convenience of having things linked to AQ and/or LbNA. The best of both worlds, for those who want to use a large number of icons with their clues.

Pied Piper