Search Edit

Read Thread: strange log ins in my letterbox

Re: strange log ins in my letterbox
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #673513 by Foxy Grandma
Feb 2, 2012 7:24pm
Board
They indicated they found it in error

Sounds like a pissed of geo-cacher to me. A Letterboxer who found a box in error, would typically post somewhere "I found XYZ box" in such-n-such park and don't know how to log it.

people must look up clues on here and find the boxes and log into them, but do not bother to log in on here as a find

Yup. That is why some people use restrictions. I am one of those people who uses the "reward" system. You will only see my clues after reaching certain P & F counts. Nothing ridiculous, but you know...
Reply to: #673598 by GreatBigSabres
Feb 2, 2012 8:34pm
Board
Sounds like a pissed of geo-cacher to me. A Letterboxer who found a box in error, would typically post somewhere

Not necessarily. The one letterbox that I found that had been found by mistake was found by two different sets of geocachers. They had logged, just like a geocache but not stamp, then put it back. The owner of the cache that they had been looking for had moved his cache after he found out it was near a letterbox.

A geocache that I know of that had bad language had been found by some muggles (apparently kids). They'd written vulgarity and obscenities on every remaining page and put it back. The next cacher who found it tore out the offending pages, put in a paper for a log and reported online what he'd done. I found it after that. The bomb squad found it less than two weeks after that. It had been there for years though, so it hadn't been a totally bad hide, until the end.

That is why some people use restrictions.

I've placed seven boxes so far, two of which are in the same series. I've placed "Found" count of 1 on one box, and a "Placed" restriction of one on my series. The find restriction is because it is a special cache that I only want letterboxers to be able to see. The series I don't want people looking for until they know the care put into hiding a box. It's near a walking trail so I want them to take some care when looking.
Reply to: #673515 by FloridaFour
Feb 3, 2012 4:44am
Board
I found a geocache like that. I replaced the log and contacted the owner who asked me to send it to him. Of course ripping out one page is basically the same thing. I would say it's your choice whether to move it or not. Some people are just rude. This person threatened the owner...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Reply to: #673630 by ladyval
Feb 3, 2012 5:58am
Board
Someone had logged in it with bad language.

what a waste of energy...

as for logging finds- I recently checked on a box- to find it had more than twice as many visitors-than folks who have actually logged the find. I get it (sort of) but personally love logging my finds as soon as I can... I also enjoy to hear back from the planter, but then I'm weird like that.
Reply to: #673513 by Foxy Grandma
Feb 4, 2012 7:44pm
Board
One of mine used to be planted near a scenic overlook. It was found by someone who apparently sits there every weekend and he wrote quite a story in my logbook. I figured that if he found it by accident 1) others would also and 2) If he sits there every weekend, it's going to be a little hard for anyone else to get it. So I moved it up the trail a bit. Still safe now, many years later.