Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Macedonia Brook State Park....

Macedonia Brook State Park....
Board: State: Connecticut
Dec 16, 2011 5:28am
Board
While looking on maps of parks I came across: Macedonia Brook State Park in Kent/Sharon... Looked it up for letterboxes and got zip! This place is huge! Has amazing views. Here is the link to the trail map: http://www.ct.gov/dep/lib/dep/stateparks/maps/macedonia.pdf
and here's more information on it: http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2716&Q=325234
Time to explore and plant guys!
Re: Macedonia Brook State Park....
Reply to: #662813 by LevreaultFam
Dec 16, 2011 8:07am
Board
There's this: http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=77991 and looks like 3 surviving boxes.
Dec 16, 2011 1:03pm
Board
Thanks guys but I think this area still needs more! ;-)
Reply to: #662843 by Teeker
Dec 16, 2011 8:24pm
Board
Kent Falls S.P. has boxes...just gotta find the clues!!! Try LbNA first...

Jonah's Whalers

PS - AT boxes are rarely posted as "traditional" boxes due to rules/guidelines about planting on a National Scenic Trail (but don't tell that to anyone that planted on the Metacomet Trail prior to being designated so...).
Dec 17, 2011 4:52am
Board
I know there is a box there. I can't remember the name of it off hand, but we got it a few years ago while camping there.

The Quackers
Reply to: #662958 by Jonahs Whalers
Dec 17, 2011 11:54am
Board
PS - AT boxes are rarely posted as "traditional" boxes due to rules/guidelines about planting on a National Scenic Trail (but don't tell that to anyone that planted on the Metacomet Trail prior to being designated so...).

I had no idea...will that be true of the New England Trail as well?
Re: Macedonia Brook State Park.... National Scenic Trail
Reply to: #663050 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 29, 2011 12:51pm
Board

The Connecticut section of the New England Trail is being maintained by the CT Forest and Park Assoc. I am a member of them, and they are very letterbox friendly. I don't see why they would take any action against letterboxes on the Metacomet Trail section in CT.
Do you have a web site that references the rules amout letterboxes on the National Scenic Trails?
The Bird Stamper
Reply to: #663050 by Trailhead Tessie
Dec 30, 2011 5:56am
Board
Seriously? You're going to follow the rules and regulations of planting on a trail? As a letterboxer I will hide whereever the hell I please. Scenic or none.
Reply to: #665305 by LevreaultFam
Dec 30, 2011 6:24am
Board
As a letterboxer I will hide whereever the hell I please. Scenic or none.

and that's what gives letterboxers a bad name. You could at least PRETEND to abide by other people's rules and regs. i try to practice leave No Trace, and other good trail practices. having a "i'll do whatever the hell i want" attitude just makes us all look bad. Use common sense when planting, eh?

don't plant in fragile ecological areas.
don't plant at the top of a bank, so that people have to scramble up and down and will eventually break down the bank.
do think about where people will park to get the box, and how they will hike. Keep the game friendly even for the wildlife.
i'm not against planting on private property, but geesh = do it respectfully, eh?

~tigs (who's still sick and probably grumpy with it)
Reply to: #665307 by tiggermama
Dec 30, 2011 7:21am
Board
Don't get me wrong, I use common sense when planting and use no trail left behind. That's why I don't understand why you can't plant on scenic routes. If you'll plant it stealthily then no one else should find it but other letterboxers. and obviously I wouldn't plant where others can't get to. What's the point of planting if someone can't get to it or yuou'll danger yourself getting to it? I'm not that stupid. But letterboxes shouldn't hurt a trail if unless you use a box that leaches toxins to the environment? I love nature just as anyone else on here but letterboxers shouldn't just stop planting boxes just because someone outside of boxing (that doesn't understand boxing) says to not plant any.
Re: Macedonia Brook State Park.... National Scenic Trail
Reply to: #665175 by The Bird Stamper
Jan 8, 2012 11:37am
Board
Do you have a web site that references the rules amout letterboxes on the National Scenic Trails?

Come to think of it, no, I do not; it was something Rubaduc told me. If memory serves, I was told boxes (and maybe geocaches, too?) are supposed to be a minimum distance off the trail. I agree with your argument about CFPA being box-friendly, and that boxes on the Metacomet are safe and welcome...silly of me not to think about it that way originally!

Take care!

Dan