A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: I'm sorry but...

Re: I'm sorry but...
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #52669 by Team Springamajack
Nov 24, 2006 10:02pm
Board
Quote Do you use an iron with that... or just slap it down REALLY fast before it dries?

I am assuming you are asking about the "transparency" transfer method, and NOT the labeling of body parts? Because I can assure you, I do NOT use an iron on the vast majority of my body parts, and in fact there are only a few that I slap really fast.

As for the transfer method - neither. No iron necesary, and the ink doesn't dry on the slick paper (or at least, not quickly). I would say it was at least 2 or 3 minutes between when I printed and when I put paper to rubber, and there was no problem at all with it drying out in that time.

I believe Kirbert's webpage goes into a good deal of detail into this method - you might want to look that over as well. (http://www.nettally.com/palmk/TransferringRubberStampImage.html ... go down to the "Inkjet Printers" section). Hope Kirbert doesn't mind me putting that link here, but since these Message Boards are where he pointed them out to me (and others) in the first place, I figured it was pretty safe.

Good luck!

-wassamatta_u
Reply to: #52670 by wassamatta u
Nov 25, 2006 6:33am
Board
Quote As for the transfer method - neither. No iron necesary, and the ink doesn't dry on the slick paper (or at least, not quickly). I would say it was at least 2 or 3 minutes...

I've left it overnight, it still transfers, still wipes clean off the plastic when done.

I do recommend leaving it at least a few minutes before transferring. If you look at it, you can see the ink being sort of shiny when it first comes out of the printer on the plastic sheet, and in a couple of minutes it gets dull-looking. I think you want it dull-looking before attempting the transfer.
Reply to: #52610 by wassamatta u
Nov 25, 2006 7:43am
Board
Quote I suppose I should take this oportunity to actually LABEL all my body parts, just so I don't forget what is what.

That might be a good idea after the acetone AND carb cleaner fumes.

Shiloh
Reply to: #52543 by Team Springamajack
Nov 27, 2006 1:39pm
Board
with the pzcut i always iron it. just keep moving the iron as you do it and it only takes a fe second...stop and peel one corner slightly and do more if needed. my daughter always has trouble with this method too:-( i'm not sure why. this weekend i tried to reprint on a piece and the paper totaly stuck;-Z i had to scrape it off, but that was ok when i was done.