Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Prickers, holly bushes, vines OH MY!

Re: Prickers, holly bushes, vines OH MY!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #619993 by Family From Florida
Jul 10, 2011 12:35pm
Board
Don't forget that sometimes people plant when the foliage is died down so they would have no idea what will sprout up when the leaves start turning green. I went to some boxes in Tulsa that were overgrown with wild rosebushes when I went, but probably weren't there when they were planted. I came home with huge gashes on my legs and a large hole in my toe where one of the thorns had dug in and ripped. It was my choice to go after those boxes... I could have turned around and gone after different ones instead. I'm pretty sure one or more of my own boxes have thorny bushes around them since I like to plant in November when things have died down. Then again, I also like to look for boxes in November for the same reason. Just wait a few months before you go again and you won't have much to worry about. :)
Jul 10, 2011 1:16pm
Board
I just planted a box which has mulberry bushes going to it. However, in my clue I stated that there were bushes that could scratch. It was in the event that if you didn't want to get scratched, you don't go.
Jul 10, 2011 2:12pm
Board
This is another bone to pile on - I couldn't imagine a box at one of our newer rest areas - wide open, but when I read the clue I thought I might investigate since I drive by it weekly. So happens I had to stop and make a call - I don't text and drive! I followed the clue and it lead me to a mechanical/electrical box with warning signs and a hole in the bottom. I could see where it was, but I didn't want truckers and security cameras watching me. Is it really fun to plant something so public and dangerous at the same time? As of my search no one else has found it. I've decided I will not go for locations like this. I really don't want to be page one news.

~speedsquare, who still has knuckle pain from the pyracanthus thorn out of New Mexico last year
Reply to: #620012 by Dizzy
Jul 10, 2011 2:37pm
Board
I went to some boxes in Tulsa that were overgrown with wild rosebushes

Okay, now you know I'm gonna ask it...were they mine? I would hope that you would say something about this to me or SM if it were ours, so we could do something, like move them. You would, right?
Reply to: #620012 by Dizzy
Jul 10, 2011 2:56pm
Board
The boxes we find are while we are traveling. So, I try to get the drivebys because they are faster. We dont usually have the opportunity to come back to the area. Thanks for the advice though.
Reply to: #620058 by Okie Dog
Jul 10, 2011 3:32pm
Board
Okie Dog, no they weren't yours. Love your carve by the way.
Jul 10, 2011 3:57pm
Board
Yes Virginia Beach has more than it's share of holly bushes. At least many planters let you know to bring gloves.
Jul 10, 2011 4:06pm
Board
We have brambles and poison ivy here in the Rochester area. Brambles I can deal with by wearing long pants. That does help. Poison ivy is the one I look out for. Also, low branches on trees can be a problem.
Reply to: #620063 by Family From Florida
Jul 10, 2011 4:24pm
Board
So, I try to get the drivebys because they are faster.

That's interesting. I saw someone else say they only see the thorns on the drive-bys, too. I don't think I've ever seen rosebushes on a drive-by box. The boxes I find in the middle of rosebushes are on longer hikes... not too long, becaues it's usually when I'm traveling, too, but usually the 1-3 mile range.
Jul 10, 2011 4:25pm
Board
Today my guide had me wading through stinging nettle
Reply to: #620095 by Dizzy
Jul 10, 2011 5:53pm
Board
I saw someone else say they only see the thorns on the drive-bys, too.

I got my worst case of poison ivy from a drive by! It was worth it though, the stamp was outstanding! My backback for letterboxing is part food mart, part shed, part first aid station. I figure it is part of the adventure. I do my best to wear appropriate cothing, footware and socks, plus gloves when needed, and I look out for the hazards, but stuff happens. I keep it in mind when scouting out places for plants though.

Mini Mouse
Reply to: #620095 by Dizzy
Jul 10, 2011 6:52pm
Board
There's thorns on every box's hiding place, or on the way to the hiding place, in my neck of the woods.

We wear gloves, and know how to avoid the worst of the thorns...

romana
Jul 10, 2011 7:39pm
Board
I would like people who plant their boxes inside prickly bushes to really re-think that.

I represent that remark!

Actually, I try to avoid planting in the prickly bushes, but sometimes it's really difficult. Sometimes within the prickly bushes is the only spot you have any confidence the box won't get muggled.
Reply to: #620042 by speedsquare
Jul 10, 2011 7:47pm
Board
I followed the clue and it lead me to a mechanical/electrical box with warning signs and a hole in the bottom. I could see where it was, but I didn't want truckers and security cameras watching me. Is it really fun to plant something so public and dangerous at the same time? As of my search no one else has found it. I've decided I will not go for locations like this. I really don't want to be page one news.

I've found geocaches hidden in boxes on utility poles that sound like that -- and they were planted by the Tallahassee Department of Parks and Recreation! Usually with a padlock, the combination is given on the cache sheet. Note that these boxes didn't actually contain any electrical equipment -- you can easily tell because there are no wires or conduits going in or out. But otherwise they looked just like any other box on a utility pole.
Jul 10, 2011 7:50pm
Board
The boxes we find are while we are traveling. So, I try to get the drivebys because they are faster.

I highly recommend you consider changing that policy. Instead of hunting five driveby's along your route, hunt just one box that actually involves a short hike. See which results in a more satisfying trip.
Reply to: #620156 by Kirbert
Jul 11, 2011 4:26am
Board
I actually planted a letterbox in which a stickery holly bush was absolutely necessary to the clue. I wouldn't change a thing.
Reply to: #620224 by Mrs LAFS
Jul 11, 2011 4:29am
Board
I planted one in the center of a group of cacti,however the clue give warning of tools needed so I don't feel bad about it either. I suppose, technicallyy it could be labeled an extreme box due to that need.
Reply to: #620001 by turkey feathers
Jul 11, 2011 7:11am
Board
When you live where I do (Long Island), Poison Ivy is just a fact of life in the woods. Even if it isn't there when you plant the box, it most likely will be there at one point.

Jaxx
Jul 11, 2011 7:35am
Board
I planted my favorite box (Mystery Box - Park Landmarks) where there were lots of prickly things, but I didn't know it when I planted.

When I checked out the space and planted in summer, everything was thick and green, and just a few prickly things.

When I temporarily retrieved it for the winter, everything was covered with ice.

When I re-planted in spring, everything was soft and green.

When I tried to retrieve it in fall (I have good reasons for not letting this box sit there for the winter), there were so many thorns and prickles that I could not even get to the box. I tried to push my way into the woods, but I got so tangled up that I couldn't move forward anymore. Thorns were in my clothes and my hair, and when I tried to step forward they all pulled me back. I had to pull off my sweater to get out, and abandon the idea of grabbing my box; I still had several yards to go and everything looked even thicker over there. I figured the box was safe from muggles for a little while longer. :)

I eventually got the box back. I'm replanting it, but I need to decide whether I should find a slightly different spot or just put a warning in the clue that retrieving it will be nearly impossible in autumn.
Reply to: #620161 by Kirbert
Jul 11, 2011 6:13pm
Board
I've found some cleverly disguised boxes that were harmless, but this one was in a noisy box that had a warning "HOT,HOT,HOT" and it was functioning.