A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Letterboxing No-Man's Land

Re: Letterboxing No-Man's Land
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #620022 by IRA Boxer
Jul 10, 2011 1:48pm
Board
There are letterboxers out there that may never be found.

So the letterboxers are out there to find the
letterboxes in West Texas that have never been found and probably never will be found

and now the letterboxers are also lost. These must be very challenging clues to get these dedicated letterboxers lost along with the letterboxes!

Cheers!
bluebirdlover
Reply to: #619995 by Gryffindors
Jul 10, 2011 2:47pm
Board
To Gryffindors!! I am definitely putting Bellingham on my list for my August Hike-a-thon letterboxing hikes!! And I have several boxes that need to be planted too!!

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #619985 by The Wolf Family
Jul 10, 2011 3:33pm
Board
I think you could fix that, Kirbert, by having an event in your area.

Next thing you know, you'll have him petting cats and playing with cute little puppies. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #620069 by Green Tortuga
Jul 10, 2011 3:37pm
Board
Next thing you know, you'll have him petting cats and playing with cute little puppies.

Only if you let him reverse their nibs!
Reply to: #620061 by Amanda from Seattle
Jul 10, 2011 3:39pm
Board
I'm signed up already signed up for the Hike-a-Thon. So excited for this year!!! I was being faceitious about the desert thing, though... Bellingham has more boxes than you can shake a stick at. But you should definitely plant more! I always need more to find. :)
Reply to: #620070 by wassamatta u
Jul 10, 2011 3:53pm
Board
Now it is kittens. Come on you are starting to sound like you are in a Will Ferrell movie,
Reply to: #619974 by Kirbert
Jul 10, 2011 3:55pm
Board
There seem to be lots of deterents to boxing in Florida. Time (those on vacations), heat, humidity being the obvious ones.
Reply to: #620077 by IrishRef
Jul 10, 2011 4:43pm
Board
There seem to be lots of deterents to boxing in Florida. Time (those on vacations), heat, humidity being the obvious ones.

Time, heat, humidity, distance away from Delaware.... :)
Reply to: #619974 by Kirbert
Jul 10, 2011 5:19pm
Board
I live in a letterboxing hotspot. Send me one of your carves and I'll gladly plant it!
Re: Searching Dangers (was "Letterboxing No-Man's Land")
Jul 10, 2011 5:51pm
Board

Then there are the alligators.

I was geocaching down in Florida on a pedestrian bridge. It was the first span so I thought that it might be tucked up between the concrete abutment and the beam. It was low water, so the water was at least 100 feet away each direction. I only realized later that this is 'gater country, though I've never seen one in the wild, fortunately.

Here (in Utah) the only dangerous things we've got are black widows, brown recluse and rattle snakes. I've never seen the later two in the wild. I'm not used to the dangers elsewhere.

But Australia leads the world in poisonous animals. I certainly wouldn't want to be poking in hidey holes Down Under.
Reply to: #620121 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jul 10, 2011 5:57pm
Board
But Australia leads the world in poisonous animals. I certainly wouldn't want to be poking in hidey holes Down Under.

Hence the reason our boxes planted in Australia and Tazmania carry EXTRA precaution notes......we boxed down there using standard hunting caution procedures and managed to all stay alive!
Reply to: #619985 by The Wolf Family
Jul 10, 2011 7:37pm
Board
That'd be cheating.
Reply to: #620017 by ElectricMedic
Jul 10, 2011 7:43pm
Board
No, I don't think so. I've been through there a couple of times, but local boxers seemed to have the place fairly well covered so I didn't add to it. I did plant a few boxes in the St. Augustine area not long ago, if that's on your way.
Reply to: #620069 by Green Tortuga
Jul 10, 2011 7:51pm
Board
OK, that one went over my head.
Jul 10, 2011 7:53pm
Board
Heat and humidity aren't a problem when you box in November! :-) Admittedly not a good place to box in the summer, though. Y'all consider a Christmas vacation down this way, y'hear?
Jul 10, 2011 7:57pm
Board

Phooey. This time of year, SWMBO and I spend every Saturday and Sunday evening in the vicinity of my Off Da Hook letterbox, just hanging out and watching the fishermen. There are three gators there, just swimming around lazily in case someone catches a catfish and throws it back too torn up to swim. It's difficult to imagine a critter less threatening than an alligator. Dogs are far more worrisome.
Reply to: #620155 by Kirbert
Jul 10, 2011 8:35pm
Board
That'd be cheating.

And?
Jul 11, 2011 4:46am
Board

so, boxing in FL is the ONLY time I've ever run into a poisonous snake or THREE whilst out in the wild. Yes, you read that correctly. Three pigmy rattlers (according to the woman - my sister- I was with) in one day, hunting in Jax. Then we went to Disney and saw more wildlife!! Being from VT, I'm thinking it's a tamer sport up north.
~tigs
Reply to: #620230 by tiggermama
Jul 11, 2011 5:47am
Board

In Aug of 2005 we spent 8 days boxing from Tallahassee to Baton Rouge (found around 65 boxes); didn't see a single alligator! I was so bummed :(
Reply to: #620230 by tiggermama
Jul 11, 2011 10:24am
Board
so, boxing in FL is the ONLY time I've ever run into a poisonous snake or THREE whilst out in the wild. Yes, you read that correctly. Three pigmy rattlers (according to the woman - my sister- I was with) in one day, hunting in Jax.

Pigmy rattlers are relatively uncommon, amazing to see three in one day. Regular ol' rattlers are quite common, though. Either one is absolutely no threat unless you accidentally step on it (which is a bit too easy to do) or deliberately provoke it (which lots of people seem to think is the thing to do, and then blame the snake for being "nasty").

We also have coral snakes, again not particularly common, again not agressive, but the cause of occasional disasters when children try to pick one up because it's pretty.

Perhaps the most dangerous snake around these parts is the water moccasin. When in the water, these things have been known to be aggressive, apparently when you accidentally swim too close to their nest.

Being from VT, I'm thinking it's a tamer sport up north.

You've got blackflies up that way, doncha? I'll keep the snakes and gators, thank you very much.
Reply to: #620241 by Mn8X
Jul 11, 2011 10:26am
Board
You actually found the Off Da Hook letterbox, didn't you? If you didn't see a gator, you didn't look.
Reply to: #620305 by Kirbert
Jul 11, 2011 11:30am
Board
You've got black flies up that way, doncha?

why, yes. Yes we do. That would be the VT State bird, as a matter of fact. You might accidentally see it listed as the Hermit Thrush but it's wrong.
Reply to: #619995 by Gryffindors
Jul 21, 2011 4:44pm
Board
Me too. It was picking up for a while, but since the earthquake, there is very little activity. And nothing for me to find.

So I went on a boxing vacation to an even bigger letterboxing desert: Australia. I managed to find some boxes, but the average box age was 5 and a half years, and the average time since the last finder was 3 and a quarter years.
Reply to: #623534 by 55 Steps
Jul 21, 2011 8:51pm
Board
55 I read on yahoo that new zeland is having somewhere between 10-20 aftershocks a day since the earthquake. Can you feel all those or are you away from that?
Reply to: #623632 by kansas chick unstuck from OH
Jul 21, 2011 9:28pm
Board
new zeland is having somewhere between 10-20 aftershocks a day since the earthquake. Can you feel all those?

Yes, we can feel all of that. Well, we can again. We just got back from a three-week holiday in Australia, which was marvelous for my sanity. First night back last night, and we had a big aftershock that woke me up. But most of them are pretty small -- things just rattle around.
Reply to: #620241 by Mn8X
Aug 1, 2011 7:01pm
Board
If y'all ever come back to Louisiana, let me know and I'll make sure you see gators :)

dancing pecan