A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: WOM Clues

Re: WOM Clues
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #619489 by Baqash
Jul 7, 2011 6:25pm
Board
I suppose you might have more than one WOM clue if there are some with restrictions on them....but I can only see one, so I'm guessing it's that one your interlocutor is referring to. The instructions for the box say "ask the planter for the clue"; if I were new & saw that, I'd probably send you an email that said, "Hi, please send me the clue!" :)

So I think I'd send them the clue, and if there was something you were concerned about maybe ask/tell them about it (like: only a seasoned hiker should attempt this, or: this is in a very busy location, please be extremely stealthy).

Sheeb
Reply to: #619506 by Sheba
Jul 7, 2011 6:26pm
Board
why would they ask for the clue without finding clued boxes first? seems odd to me
Reply to: #619508 by Baqash
Jul 7, 2011 6:27pm
Board
maybe they don't log on line?
Reply to: #619509 by Sheba
Jul 7, 2011 6:29pm
Board
brand new aq member as of today
Jul 7, 2011 6:36pm
Board
It sounds a little odd to me. I wouldn't send this person the clue until they have at least a few other finds under their belt.
Reply to: #619510 by Baqash
Jul 7, 2011 6:37pm
Board
I boxed for about a year before I finally joined AQ , so being new on AQ doesn't necessarily mean they would be a newbie boxer. But still, the wording of their e-mail just doesn't sound right to me - it's so abrupt.
Jul 7, 2011 6:40pm
Board
maybe they previously haven't been logging on line on LbNA, & just created their account? I dunno :)
Jul 7, 2011 6:40pm
Board
I had a newbie like that ask for one of my WOMs. I tactfully told them "no freakin way" till they get a little experience. Turned out they are a nice couple that want to get involved and really liked the name of the box. I still haven't given them the clue yet but will some day.
Reply to: #619514 by BBStacker
Jul 7, 2011 6:43pm
Board
um, i wouldn't give them the clue. Frankly, Baquash, i wouldn't expect you to give ME the clue without explaining who i am and what's what - and i've got a few boxes under my belt. . . .and i'm a much more known quantity.

then again, i'm not the most trusting sort - i used to work with junkies for a living.
~tigs
Reply to: #619515 by tiggermama
Jul 7, 2011 6:59pm
Board
Maybe a friendly message explaining that you only give those clues to people you know or those who come recommended by people you know....
Jul 7, 2011 7:03pm
Board
I definitely wouldn't send it. You could always add restrictions of F count that would keep them from seeing and asking for the WOM clues.
Reply to: #619526 by IrishRef
Jul 7, 2011 7:07pm
Board
I've since removed a statement I shouldn't have put in, to ask planter for clue.
if they know what a WOM is then they'll know to ask.

And I did, I hope politely suggest they ask again when they have a little more experience.
If it is merely a newbie faux pas, it may be because so many of the boxes in the area are restricted that they can't see many to find.
Jul 7, 2011 7:11pm
Board
Please send me the clue, thanks.
Reply to: #619531 by Dizzy
Jul 7, 2011 7:14pm
Board

Here you go: http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=1
Reply to: #619532 by wassamatta u
Jul 7, 2011 7:17pm
Board

Here you go: http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=1

You are just trying to get me to solve that clue for you! Won't work!
Reply to: #619534 by Dizzy
Jul 7, 2011 7:22pm
Board
You are just trying to get me to solve that clue for you! Won't work!

Nah. Actually, I already solved it (and found it).
Reply to: #619536 by wassamatta u
Jul 7, 2011 7:25pm
Board
I already solved it (and found it).

...don't believe you, prove it! ;)
Reply to: #619537 by FORAYCH
Jul 7, 2011 7:36pm
Board
The proof is his stamp in the logbook--go check! ;)
Reply to: #619539 by Sheba
Jul 7, 2011 7:47pm
Board
Burden of proof is on wassa...he knows where I live and can show me in person, otherwise it is simply claims of a deranged moose ;)
Reply to: #619534 by Dizzy
Jul 7, 2011 7:50pm
Board
Very strange. I Clicked on Wassa's link and I got a you tube of a very lonely seagull letterbox that makes my head hurt just seeing it. cannot imagine solving it. LOL Then in the next post I
Clicked on Dizzys link which appears to be the same link and it takes me to a series planted by Green Tortuga box number 1.

Hmmm.... weird

~Aurora
Reply to: #619545 by The hicks from the sticks
Jul 7, 2011 8:01pm
Board
Hmmm.... weird

Things aren't always what they appear to be...
Reply to: #619545 by The hicks from the sticks
Jul 7, 2011 8:07pm
Board
because the web address Wassa posted was not the same as the one he linked it to....
Reply to: #619549 by Sheba
Jul 7, 2011 8:27pm
Board
because the web address Wassa posted was not the same as the one he linked it to....

Who would guess that a bunch of us sit around reading each other's posts snorting to ourselves as we read them and hitting the funny button when we haven't even met most of these folks - but we feel like we know them. And we should be doing something productive!

bbl
Reply to: #619553 by bluebirdlover
Jul 7, 2011 8:35pm
Board
I completely agree :) I do not doubt Wassa has found the Lonely Seagull (my posts have truly been in jest) and I know that I have not yet (without really any trying). But, I am willing to do a little wager. I am guessing I will solve Lonely Seagull (and hopefully find it if I can make a trip to its location) before Wassa solves this one....

http://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.html?gBoxId=72508.

I am willing to carve any stamp image he chooses for me if I lose the bet or am open to some other type of wager. Hmmm, what should my prize be if I should win? ...

Jeff *who really doesn't have a lot of time to solve the mysteries, but will do so if Wassa will* ;)
Jul 7, 2011 8:47pm
Board
No information as to which clue they wanted.

Then why assume it's your WOM clue?
P count the WOM box and then respond, "Which of my boxes are you referring to?"
*evil grin*
Reply to: #619553 by bluebirdlover
Jul 7, 2011 8:59pm
Board
what? "not met any of these people"

Anyone who hasn't met Goofy girl please raise your hand...
Reply to: #619554 by FORAYCH
Jul 7, 2011 9:15pm
Board
I am willing to carve any stamp image he chooses for me if I lose the bet or am open to some other type of wager.

Hmmmm... am I being set up here? Have you already solved it and you're gonna wait to spring it on me?

Aw heck... you're on, Jeff!!
Jul 7, 2011 9:34pm
Board
I've had requests just like this. I either ignore them or write back asking for further information like what box are they referring to. 9 times out of 10 they never respond to that email.
Reply to: #619537 by FORAYCH
Jul 7, 2011 9:38pm
Board
I will vouch that Wassa actually solved the box and found it.. first person to actually solve the clue!
Reply to: #619563 by wassamatta u
Jul 7, 2011 9:43pm
Board
You two are making my night. As I sit here in the full throws of pneumonia, I come upon this and went from complete misery to utter glee.

Thank you!!!