About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: US Letterboxers coming for a visit

US Letterboxers coming for a visit
Board: Country: United Kingdom
Apr 3, 2011 12:32pm
Board
Greetings! Our family will be traveling to England and Scotland this Spring and hope to be able to find a few letterboxes. I must first confess that I haven't spent a great deal of time researching, but I haven't been able to make much sense of the clues that I've read so far here on AQ. Because we don't know the areas, we'll probably only try to find the boxes whos directions are pretty straight forward. Is there a "go to" website that might give more information about letterboxing in the UK? Our itenerary will include York, Canterbury, Dover, Edinburgh, Bath and London. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! We are very much looking forward to adding some UK stamps to our logbook!
Re: US Letterboxers coming for a visit
Reply to: #596894 by galaxy4
Apr 4, 2011 3:32am
Board
North York moors are not far North from York (if you will have a car). Happy to help with working out where things are

Mark
Apr 4, 2011 5:08am
Board
as an american hunter who went looking for boxes in the UK, here's my advice.
many of the clues there are based on maps that were too expensive for me to buy for a single outing. if you don't have the map, you can't follow the clue. it's almost like letterboxing meets orienteering.
this is not a complaint, just an observation. look through all the clues you find, and only take those that are "US-style" clues...unless you want to buy the other maps.

I ended up taking clues for eight boxes that were near where I would be, and written in a way that was clear to understand without special maps needed. finding the boxes with noxers tagging along became a different challenge, but that's not part of this story...

Romana
Reply to: #597005 by Romana
Apr 4, 2011 9:48am
Board
You can always print bits of maps from www.streetmap.co.uk before you go as well.
Apr 4, 2011 2:59pm
Board
First, let me endorse the comments made by MarkP and Romana. Letterboxing over here is probably slightly different to what you are used. But just as enjoyable. Our system of grid references takes a little getting used to but is quite logical and easy to master.

I don't live far from Bath so perhaps your visit will be the impetus I need to plant a few boxes in the area :-) As Mark says your best bet will be the North York Moors but look out for the odd box you might be able to pick up if you divert from the motorways.

Whatever you do enjoy your visit.

DM
Letterboxing - it's not a hobby , it's an adventure
Reply to: #597168 by Dilton Martian
Apr 5, 2011 1:55pm
Board
Thank you for your posts! We will not have a car, so we will be pretty limited in our access. And, realisticly, this isn't really a letterboxing trip - we just wanted to snag a box or two to say we had! DM - we will happily search any Bath boxes you might see fit to plant (that is - what time allows - we are in Bath for only three nights, so our time will be tight)

Thank you all again!
Reply to: #597467 by galaxy4
Apr 12, 2011 2:03am
Board
If in Scotland, then this site should be of help:

http://letterboxing-scotland.co.uk/

I'm not sure if any are accessible without a car, though. The Pipes, in Glasgow, would be, but I'm pretty sure it has gone missing. I've contacted the owner to enquire about removing it from the site, but never got a reply.

Inverness might be the place to go, if you want to box without a car, though I'm not sure of that because I've not been up there. There's a good density of boxes up there, though.

Hope you enjoy your travels and that you get some nice weather in Scotland. Realistically, I'd bring your rain gear.

Laura