A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Wildlife

Re: Wildlife
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #596884 by 55 Steps
Apr 3, 2011 11:56am
Board
Put on the threatening posture and made agressive noises. It took FOREVER to get past him.

See....we should all practice our "posturing and aggressive noise making" on a more regular basis!

;}
Y~K b
Reply to: #596800 by felixpezgirl
Apr 3, 2011 3:35pm
Board
We too saw a red fox this past week while letterboxing. We have quite a few in the area so that's not too unusual. However, we did see a red tail hawk being attacked by a falcon, that was being attacked by a crow. it was fun watching each of them trying to act more menacing than the other.

3 Blind Mice
Reply to: #596919 by 3 Blind Mice
Apr 3, 2011 4:49pm
Board
we did see a red tail hawk being attacked by a falcon, that was being attacked by a crow

Three Blind Mice saw three crazy birds.

Shiloh
Reply to: #596926 by shiloh
Apr 3, 2011 4:56pm
Board
You think that is funny... try reading "cow" for "crow" like I did.
Reply to: #596884 by 55 Steps
Apr 3, 2011 9:52pm
Board
It took FOREVER to get past him

but did you get the box?

romana
Reply to: #596987 by Romana
Apr 3, 2011 10:50pm
Board
but did you get the box?

Sadly, no. There was another seal guarding the box, and while he was not as aggressive, he definitely did not want to let us get close to him -- which meant we couldn't search properly. I think that box is just not to be mine. : (
Reply to: #596919 by 3 Blind Mice
Apr 3, 2011 10:53pm
Board
We too saw a red fox this past week while letterboxing.

Where are you? Because if you're in the US, I'd bet you did not. The grey fox is often almost completely red, but that doesn't make him a red fox which is a different breed. A red fox is smaller, completely red, and originally found exclusively in England, although I think some may have been imported to the US for hunting.
Reply to: #596991 by Kirbert
Apr 4, 2011 4:49am
Board
although I think some may have been imported to the US for hunting.

which mean they could have propagated....
Apr 4, 2011 6:12am
Board
The Missouri Conservation Department seem to think there are red foxes in the state. They include them along with the grey foxes with photos of both in literature about native animals. Several years ago a red fox visted our yard for about a month around 6 AM.
Apr 4, 2011 6:31am
Board
Kirbert,

We too saw a red fox this past week while letterboxing.

Where are you? Because if you're in the US, I'd bet you did not.

Check the facts:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/9354.html

"Red fox are the most widely distributed carnivore in the world, and are known to occur in nearly every county of New York State."

3 Blind Mice
Reply to: #596830 by Otolith Crisis
Apr 4, 2011 9:54am
Board
I'd love to see a deer while hiking
Apr 4, 2011 9:57am
Board
Interesting..I guess the Red Fox was grey since I was in Massachusetts
Reply to: #597079 by felixpezgirl
Apr 4, 2011 9:58am
Board
I have deer routinely in my back yard.
Apr 4, 2011 10:28am
Board
Come to Detroit. We've got metroparks that are so overrun with deer they bring sharpshooters in once a year to cull the population. It's a great place for deer sighting!
Apr 4, 2011 11:19am
Board
I'd love to see a deer while hiking

Generally speaking, my 5 1/2 year old son makes enough noise to drive off any critters in a coiuple mile radius of where we are! However, I had the rare chance sometime early last fall to go on a hike with just my daughter - who was small enough at the time I could put her in a baby carrier on my chest and she'd fall asleep. So I'm walking along - not being super quiet, but more quietly than normal since I have no chattering 5 year old with me. And all of a sudden a deer about 50 feet away from my path got startled and went leaping and crashing away. It woke up Baby Rowe-ver too, though that may have been partly because I shrieked in her ear because I didn't see the silly deer until it was running away!
Reply to: #597095 by TrailTroll
Apr 4, 2011 11:51pm
Board
We've got metroparks that are so overrun with deer they bring sharpshooters in once a year to cull the population.

I've heard deer described as "rats with antlers." Where my brother lives in Texas they have crosswalks for the deer -- and they actually use them, which never ceases to amaze me. But the road signs don't say "Deer Crossing", they say "Please Don't Feed The Deer". Apparently everyone is miffed about people encouraging the deer to stick around the suburban neighborhoods rather than wandering off to some wilderness where they belong. When people are bitching about the deer rather than being happy to see them, I guess there are too many.

We all know the problem, of course: We humans have killed off all their predators. Whenever a species has no predators, its population expands until it suffers widespread starvation and disease. The deer need more mountain lions to keep them happy and healthy. Since we seem unwilling to coexist with mountain lions, we have to substitute hunters with rifles -- who usually kill the strongest and healthiest rather than the sick and weak.
Reply to: #597299 by Kirbert
Apr 5, 2011 4:50am
Board
Why do you say hunters (whether they're sport hunters or paid sharpshooters) kill the strongest and healthiest rather than the sick and weak? I'm not a hunter, but wouldn't the sick and the weak make good targets for human predators too? Or is it because trophy hunters want big healthy specimens? Not disagreeing - just curious.
Reply to: #597299 by Kirbert
Apr 5, 2011 6:30am
Board
Heaven forbid should hunters actually kill something that provides food for their families.

I sure as hell don't want my husband, son, or myself bringing down (and wasting tags) a sick animal. They won't fill our freezers or our bellies.
Reply to: #597323 by TrailTroll
Apr 5, 2011 10:48am
Board
Why do you say hunters (whether they're sport hunters or paid sharpshooters) kill the strongest and healthiest rather than the sick and weak? I'm not a hunter, but wouldn't the sick and the weak make good targets for human predators too? Or is it because trophy hunters want big healthy specimens?

The trophy hunters want the biggest, most impressive specimens, and the gun doesn't care, it can kill the 12-point buck just as readily as the weakest doe. The food hunters -- and there are a lot of them around here -- typically will just shoot the first deer that enters the clearing, but guess what, the first deer that enters the clearing is normally the leader of that group, the strongest and fittest.

SWMBO and I refer to the "redneck mentality" that is prevalent in our area of FL. Basically, it's the conviction that rules and regulations are for other people, not for them. We went fishing this past weekend because it was Free Fishing Weekend here in FL, the two days of the year you can fish without a license. We mentioned that to several other fishermen we met, and at least two of them told us outright they didn't know anything about free fishing weekend, they had never bothered to get a license anyway! Likewise, the redneck hunters around here don't give a rip about hunting season, or the fact that it's illegal to hunt from a public highway, or that hunters are only supposed to shoot male deer, shooting females is extremely limited. Basically, they see a deer, they shoot it, wherever they are, whatever date it is, and "we don't need no stinkin' license, we've been shooting deer around here since forever." Then they dress the deer and dump the carcass off the side of a dead-end road somewhere so it can stink up the area real good.

And don't forget that they seem incapable of holding onto an empty beer can or bottle, it falls wherever they happen to be standing. These people are incredible slobs. Any good fishing spot or picnicking spot invariably requires a half hour spent filling a couple of trash bags before it's habitable by regular human beings.
Reply to: #596800 by felixpezgirl
May 15, 2011 1:32pm
Board
I was out letterboxing in a local park last year and encountered a rafter (this is the proper term, I looked it up) of turkeys. About 30 of them. They were crossing the path I was walking on. I waited until they were well into the woods before I continued. LOL.
Reply to: #606522 by bfarowl
May 16, 2011 4:05am
Board
Never knew that was a rafter! Thanks for the information.
Reply to: #606631 by felixpezgirl
Jun 30, 2011 1:41pm
Board
Heeheehee. I looked it up after I saw them. I wanted to make sure I used to proper term.