About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Looking for Mentor

Looking for Mentor
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Apr 19, 2010 10:58am
Board
I have so many questions right now and it's getting a bit frustrating really as I don't want to create multiple threads in multiple places to find my answers. So I guess I'm officially petitioning for a mentor. I'm from the Augusta, GA area, but I don't think you really have to be local, though I'm sure it would help when it comes to things like boxes I can't find.

Some of my questions currently include:

Should I mount stamps with little wooden backings if I've got them, or is that considered silly?

When doing a postal, do I have to get a new logbook for each ring, or is it okay to reuse the same book rather than waste all those empty pages in the original?

What do you do with full logbooks from not only your own plants, but from boxes that have been abandoned or orphaned?

How do you solve clues that are nothing but letters and no cipher is provided nor any indication on how to even go about finding the key to the code?

How do you officially adopt a box?

How do you report a box as missing when you know for a fact that it is not in the location provided by the clue?

And trust me friends, the list goes on. Anyone wanna take me under their wing?
Re: Looking for Mentor
Reply to: #507754 by Falling Rocks
Apr 19, 2010 11:03am
Board
I'll put together an AQ mail to try to answer these questions.. although I am far from a letterboxing know-it-all. :)
Apr 19, 2010 11:12am
Board
I'll take a stab at a few of your questions:

Should I mount stamps with little wooden backings if I've got them, or is that considered silly?

Your box, your call. Some folks swear by mounting stamps. I tend to swear at mounted stamps because I feel the image just never turns out right.

What do you do with full logbooks from not only your own plants, but from boxes that have been abandoned or orphaned?

For my own boxes, I try to keep them in the box whenever possible so finders can see its history. Otherwise I bring 'em home and look at them every once in awhile. As for abandoned or orphaned boxes.....they aren't mine. I would never dream of taking anything out of box owned by someone else, even if they've not been heard from in a while.

Last I heard you don't.

How do you report a box as missing when you know for a fact that it is not in the location provided by the clue?

Be careful here. Only the planter and anyone who has actually found the box can state, "for a fact" that the box is gone. Not being able to find a box is not the same as a missing box. Don't worry about "reporting" it, that's not really your job.

How do you solve clues that are nothing but letters and no cipher is provided nor any indication on how to even go about finding the key to the code?

Sometimes you don't even try. (I despise ciphers and will not do them.) Sometimes you never do figure it out. Sometimes you work on it...a long time. They're called clues so it's up to you to figure 'em out...or not. It's be best high ever when you DO figure out more difficult clues - so keep trying~

Generally, I'd suggest you read everything you can find on letterboxing, inlcuding what a particular board's purpose is before posting to it. All the FAQs on this and other websites, the Randy Hall book, do searches and read up on the archives too - most questions have been asked before, or you can gather enough info from them to figure out what to do.

pre
Reply to: #507760 by preboxed
Apr 19, 2010 11:17am
Board
Well done Pre.

Shiloh
Reply to: #507760 by preboxed
Apr 19, 2010 11:28am
Board
Excellent job, pre!

Will you be my Mentor? If so, does that mean when I drop you into a bottle of Diet Coke you will spurt all over the place?

Oh wait... that was Mentos... never mind.
Reply to: #507764 by wassamatta u
Apr 19, 2010 11:36am
Board
does that mean when I drop you into a bottle of Diet Coke you will spurt all over the place?

I think you meant snort ™

p.s. I won't fit in a bottle of Coke, Diet or otherwise.

pre :-)
doesn't mind...very well
Apr 19, 2010 12:11pm
Board
I suggest you join the Newboxers yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newboxers/

While they are not keen on postals, they will answer virtually any question about regular letterboxing - after, of course, recommending you do all the reading that preboxed listed.

BL47
Apr 19, 2010 12:38pm
Board
Lots of great folks here, aren't there? Another great place I joined...and still am reading is the yahoo group for newboxers. Mark Pepe is the moderator and its another great place to learn the hobby's ins and outs. Lots of boards here too when you peruse them.

Enjoy.

Granny Butterfly
Apr 19, 2010 1:30pm
Board

Our scout troop adopted a box, more like became overseers. The planter does not live in the area and she gave us permission to take care of the box, we were added to the "Basic Detail" info under "Contacts" on the letterbox. Set up like this, the planter and our troop both receive emails/messages about the box when one is sent. Adopting has to be done through the original planter of the box as far as I know. -Aspen
Apr 19, 2010 1:44pm
Board
If you haven't already, you can check out.... http://www.letterboxing.info ......I would also suggest, once again, if you haven't already, joining the Georgia board and seeing if you can go boxing with someone who has more experience.

You're going to get tons of replies. The question I'll address is the one about mystery boxes (ciphers). There is a wide range of boxes, from childishly easy to the ones that make your head hurt just looking at the clues. I suggest you start with easy boxes unless you just like mysteries.

Most of the time the cipher will not be included because you are supposed to be figuring out which one should be used. Some clues are **meant** to be very, very.....VERY hard. Some people like them and some don't. People sometimes spend many months on really hard clues, often winding up at the wrong location and having to start all over again. To each his own. It's all part of the hobby.

MM
Apr 19, 2010 2:25pm
Board
Come to one of the Second Saturday Seekers events. We would be happy to show you the ropes.
Reply to: #507810 by DragonDs
Apr 19, 2010 3:54pm
Board
Asked for a mentor and so far you have eight. The boxer I call "mentor" simply was the person who answered questions directly, clearly and quickly. We now are "call a friend" when looking for a box that we can not find and we see the other has found it. One reason some people hide the finds on their boxes. Call a friend or mentor might help with a cryptic clue.