Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Okay, who thought of me while watching Medium? =)

Okay, who thought of me while watching Medium? =)
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Mar 13, 2010 10:57pm
Board
I have two things to say about that episode:

First, why can't they pronounce the name of the town correctly?! Sheeze, it ruins all credibility when they can't even pronounce San Luis Obispo correctly. (Although, technically speaking, some people might argue that they did that deliberately to mimic the common mispronunciations of tourists so it sounds even more credible, but frankly, I can't believe that they'd deliberately mispronounce it for so-called tourist authenticity.)

And second, that whole airport shuttle stop.... Hahahahaha! That airport is so small, it has just one gate, and that doesn't even have a jetway. An airport shuttle... *shaking head* How ridiculous. *snort laugh*

-- Ryan
Re: Okay, who thought of me while watching Medium? =)
Reply to: #498223 by Green Tortuga
Mar 14, 2010 9:18am
Board
How on earth did they pronounce it? I can only imagine one way -- I'm a native Californian but not from near SLO so I'm wondering if it's possible that I've always sounded like a tourist.
Mar 14, 2010 9:43am
Board
Same reason CSI mispronounces every town in NeVAHda - no local script consultants.
Reply to: #498269 by Ursa Major
Mar 14, 2010 7:47pm
Board
How on earth did they pronounce it?

They pronounced it San "Loo-ee" Obispo. *shaking head* Shameful. Just shameful.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #498369 by Green Tortuga
Mar 14, 2010 8:35pm
Board
That's all I could come up with ... my boyfriend (also from CA) and I sat here trying to come up with something other than the Spanish or the Americanized way to say it -- and I finally said, "unless they pronounced it like it was French? San Louie?" But I guess I'm glad to say I've never heard anyone say it that way in real life.
Mar 19, 2010 1:27pm
Board
Grey's Anatomy drove me crazy the first season. They live in Seattle, one of THE espresso capitols of the country and they said in several episodes, "get me a mocha latte".

Excuse me? I live in Portland, which also loves espresso, and people always call it a "mocha". Just a mocha. No "latte" tacked on. Obviously, the writers didn't know their espresso the first season . . .

It also drove me bonkers that the characters would get some sort of coffee drink in a paper cup and lid and obviously have an empty cup by the way they carried it.

They would then take a sip from the supposedly full cup and tilt the cup like it was half empty. Get your props right, people!

KuKu