A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Survivor **possible spoiler**

Re: Survivor **DEFINITE spoiler**
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Reply to: #494616 by Hands on Fun - family
Feb 26, 2010 8:09am
Board
After other stuff he pulled in his first go round I can't believe his tribe hasn't accused him

I believe this show was recording while the last one was playing so these people didn't get a chance to see the things Russel did last time. He has a great advantage cause he is the only stranger there.
Re: Survivor **possible spoiler**
Reply to: #494550 by Woodsong
Feb 26, 2010 9:17am
Board
I've been bored by the challenges the last several seasons. They are not the reason I watch the show and never have been. They tend to be repetitive (there are only so many ways to balance over water, shoot tiles, and run an obstacle course), watching someone solve a jigsaw is just slightly more fascinating than watching golf on TV, and they take up a tremendous amount of time.

I'd much rather watch people playing the real game.
Reply to: #494621 by SITE Sleuths
Feb 26, 2010 9:30am
Board
I believe this show was recording while the last one was playing so these people didn't get a chance to see the things Russel did last time.

Thanks I hadn't thought of that. Makes a lot of sense! I would think he'd try to capitalize on that more than they seem to be showing. Perhaps I just haven't noticed though... :) Is he aware of it?
Reply to: #494653 by Hands on Fun - family
Feb 26, 2010 9:43am
Board
I'm sure he's aware, because this season was filmed in the months between the final tribal council of the last season and the reunion show where he found out he hadn't won.
Reply to: #494656 by Ursa Major
Feb 26, 2010 2:09pm
Board
After other stuff he pulled in his first go round I can't believe his tribe hasn't accused him

Actually i looked this up when the show started.....Here is the timeline.....
Russell's season Filming dates June 11, 2009– July 19, 2009
Airing Dates September 17, 2009 – December 20, 2009

This season
Filming dates August 9, 2009– September 16, 2009 started airing February 11, 2010

because this season was filmed in the months between the final tribal council of the last season and the reunion show where he found out he hadn't won.

Soooo....this season was totally done BEFORE Russells season even started airing....so keep in mind on this season he knows he's in the final 3, but has no idea the outcome of his season!!! Which in hind sight has me thinking, if you watched the reunion show from last season, Russell REALLY wanted to buy the title of soul survivor from natalie....and this season he is saying if he wins this he would be the soul survivor...well for him to want to BUY it must mean he has no chance of making it on this season??????
What ya think?????
BB
Reply to: #494733 by BootyBandits
Feb 26, 2010 2:21pm
Board
Which in hind sight has me thinking, if you watched the reunion show from last season, Russell REALLY wanted to buy the title of soul survivor from natalie....and this season he is saying if he wins this he would be the soul survivor...well for him to want to BUY it must mean he has no chance of making it on this season??????|

good thinking, but he could have known he'd be in the top 3 and still not know he wouldn't win, since they hadn't awarded it yet. then again, he may have felt like it was his only chance to be a sole survivor. You've really got me thinking now!!
Feb 26, 2010 6:47pm
Board
I've seen that theory before, and I think it's possibly right. The other possibility is that Russell makes to the final in Heroes Vs. Villains and essentially does the same (poor) job he did on the last season. At the reunion show for that season, when he realizes it didn't get him anywhere, he has doubts about Heroes vs. Villains and wants to buy Natalie's title as insurance.
Reply to: #494604 by Okie Dog
Feb 26, 2010 7:10pm
Board
I thought James was on the villians side. He sure looked like one last night.

I liked the comment Jerri made (I think it was her?) when she told him he should have been on the Villain's team. Hahaha! I have to agree with that.

As for who should be voted off, Russel is the obvious choice from our point of view. (At least to me, it is. He's the guy that's actually trying to sabotage his own team!) But from his team members' point of view, they don't know that Russel hid the machete. They may not even know about his past performance on Survivor since that season had not yet aired. (However, I'm not sure--was anyone from Russel's season on this season that might fill people in? And who's to say that the producers didn't show a few of the episodes to be aired ahead of time to "even the game" for everyone.)

But one thing to keep in mind--the face they show the camera (and us) can be a VERY different face than what they show to other teammates. I rather liked Russel's comment at the tribal council about how he was playing against really tough folks this time, and how much he enjoyed the challenge, yadda, yadda, yadda. What a suck-up! =) Smooshing them good, he is. *nodding*

I also really enjoyed Rob's observation about identifying the strong alliances based on where people sleep, and that people don't sleep next to those they'll probably vote out.

I'd also say, I'm kind of surprised that they so often get everyone in the group to vote the same way. Given that the votes are actually cast in secret, if it were me playing, and we all agreed to vote out a specific person, I'd nod my head and say, "Sure thing!"--then deliberate vote for someone else instead. The chaos in camp would be fabulous. =) That person would probably be paranoid about who voted for them, why them, would they be next, yadda, yadda, yadda. And in case I ever ended up in a tie with that person at a tribal council, they'd have more votes working against them. And how would they ever find out it was me who cast the vote? You'd have to pick someone you actually like to legitimate throw off all suspicion about who it was. Or at least pick someone who thinks someone else has a grudge against them--maybe get them to think it was that person who cast the vote. Break the trust among other alliances, and perhaps suck more people into my own alliance. Seems SOOO obvious to me, but why does nobody ever do that?!

No, they all vote for the same person like lemmings. *shaking head*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #494799 by Green Tortuga
Feb 26, 2010 7:31pm
Board
Courtney was the one who yelled about James being on the wrong team. Leave it to her to have the smart remark. (I like her.)

No one out there knows Russell, he's the only one from his season. And I just read somewhere that in the last All-Stars season (or Fans vs. Favorites, maybe), when there was a player who had just been in the last not-yet-televised season, the other players were told that (s)he hadn't won, but nothing beyond that. Of course, that player had been voted out before the end. So in this case, I'd guess that they told everyone Russell made it to the final 3, but that's all. Speculation, though.

And in case I ever ended up in a tie with that person at a tribal council, they'd have more votes working against them.

Unfortunately, they don't use that as a determining factor in ties anymore. Ties near the end (final 5 or so) are determined by a fire-making challenge between the tied people. Before that, they're given a chance to re-vote and break the tie. If they don't, then the two tied people are now immune and everyone *else* draws a rock. Whoever gets the purple one goes home.

In the early seasons, alliances weren't considered nearly as important and you'd see a lot more votes like you're describing. (Hell, in the first season the dumb doctor voted alphabetically!) But now people are afraid to bring a fight they don't have the backup to win, and especially early on they want to make sure they're not making anyone mad, or that they're not on the outs with everyone else (ie, they want to make sure they know who the vote is going to be).
Reply to: #494802 by Ursa Major
Feb 26, 2010 7:47pm
Board
But now people are afraid to bring a fight they don't have the backup to win, and especially early on they want to make sure they're not making anyone mad, or that they're not on the outs with everyone else

I get that, and I'd feel the same way. Except that the vote is cast in privacy. You can still vote any way you want, then lie your butt off and tell everyone it must have been someone else. =) I'd never cop to being the one throwing the one odd vote, but I'd certainly encourage the paranoia in everyone else trying to figure out who it might have been. =) Put some doubts into their minds about how strong "their" alliance really is, and maybe they'd be better off sticking with me. ;o)

Just saying... that's what I would do. Seems so logical, but I'm surprised that nobody else seems to have thought to do that.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #494807 by Green Tortuga
Feb 26, 2010 9:31pm
Board
Heck, they don't shake up the cannister that the votes are put into. If they want to know who voted the first few votes, all they have to do is watch who goes first and down the line. Or that was my impression, anyway. We don't see Jeff walking to the podium, however. He may well shake it up. ?
Reply to: #494817 by Okie Dog
Feb 26, 2010 9:46pm
Board
Jeff always says "I'll go tally the votes."

He goes back to the voting area and he (and production) decide what order to put them in for maximum dramatic effect.
Reply to: #494807 by Green Tortuga
Feb 27, 2010 6:41am
Board
In the first season, when Sonya was the first one voted out, Rich threw a "pointless" vote Stacy Stillman's way. Randy just did the same thing to Rob Mariano on the way out. There have been other examples. Doesn't seem to do much in terms of suggesting a future vote to people who know what they are doing. They will stick with their allies regardless.

The problem with deviating from the plan is that you will be found out. Unless you cause the "betrayed" target to alienate enough people before the next vote, you will be the next voted out because rats are always the first to go (Candace, Jonathan Penner) once they are no longer needed. Kelly Wiglesworth voted the other way in the first season when her alliance no longer needed her to ingratiate herself with the Pagong jury. The rest of Tagi saw straight through it and Rich immediately wanted her gone. Had Colleen won the balancing challenge against Kelly, Kelly was the one who was going to be voted out, not Dr. Sean "Alphabet" Kenniff.

It's not so much people being "lemmings" as them not wanting to take risks and also being too fatigued to get creative.
Reply to: #494571 by Hands on Fun - family
Feb 27, 2010 6:45am
Board
Parvati is a really good player at the game. She knows how to work it. I just don't get why they are letting her do so either. James was still frustrated with so much losing and I guess wanted to prove something (which they already did). He needs to chill soon or he isn't going to last very long. I am also glad Randy is gone. I never cared for him and his wonderful personality.
Reply to: #494849 by Otis' Friends
Feb 27, 2010 9:49am
Board
Rich threw a "pointless" vote Stacy Stillman's way. Randy just did the same thing to Rob Mariano on the way out.

I can't say that I remember anything about that first "pointless" vote, but the vote Randy threw on Rob doesn't really count. He did that because he already knew he was on his way out. Not like he was going to vote for himself or anything. The person who gets voted out always votes for someone else!

In regards to that first season, though, anything from that isn't really a good example. They were still still "figuring out" how to play the game. It was still new, and most of the players on that first season were too ignorant of the back-stabbing and "play to win" mentality.

The problem with deviating from the plan is that you will be found out.

Not necessarily. Maybe if you can't lie convincingly, or your stupid enough to throw your vote at someone everyone knows you hate. For it to work, you really need to throw your vote at someone you genuinely like. They won't believe it was you, and they'll think someone is "out to get them," and they'll want to work that much harder to be in your alliance, yadda, yadda, yadda. If nobody knows who cast the vote, they'll assume it's the person who likes them the least.

It can work, if used in the right situations. *nodding*

-- Ryan
Reply to: #494873 by Green Tortuga
Feb 27, 2010 9:53am
Board
It's sounding more and more like our friend Green Tortuga should try out for Survivor. You've got this game figured out, Ryan!
Feb 27, 2010 10:02am
Board
Not necessarily. Maybe if you can't lie convincingly, or your [sic] stupid enough to throw your vote at someone everyone knows you hate.

To put it in game theory parlance, Survivor is a "multiple iteration" game, not a "single play" game. Even if you lie convincingly, people will ultimately figure it out. You are around them too long. More to the point, they know someone must have voted for them that they thought was in their alliance. That makes them want to seek out other options, not stay in the alliance.

Voting for someone who is supposedly on your team will cause them to draw the correct conclusion that they are not. That's not an effective strategy.
Feb 27, 2010 11:53am
Board
For it to work, you really need to throw your vote at someone you genuinely like. They won't believe it was you, and they'll think someone is "out to get them," ...

It can work, if used in the right situations.

Hey, dear friend Ryan, have a GREAT hike on the PCT! Really, have a FABULOUS time, and don't worry about ANYTHING here... you and I have such a good alliance, I will totally watch out for your interests while you are gone! I like you SOOOO much! AQ will be waiting for you when you get back, honest! *batting eyes*
Reply to: #494878 by Otis' Friends
Feb 27, 2010 12:40pm
Board
Even if you lie convincingly, people will ultimately figure it out.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. =) I think it can be done in such a way that nobody would ever figure it out.

Speaking of which, is it possible to vote for yourself? There could be a strategy in throwing a vote for yourself if it means it'll convince people that you aren't the one casting out out-of-the-line votes.... Also gives you an excuse to throw a tantrum, make accusations, or switch alliances convincingly. "I know it was you, so I'm going with THEM!" kind of thing.

So many options..... I'd so be a villain if I were ever on Survivor. =) I'm not sure if there's a rule against voting for oneself, but it's probably not the kind of rule most people would even think would need to be made. =)

-- Ryan
Reply to: #494897 by Green Tortuga
Feb 27, 2010 1:14pm
Board
You can't vote for yourself. That comes up every time there's a vote in the final three or a tie.
Mar 4, 2010 5:57pm
Board
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it ain't so?!?!?!

I am sooooo bummed over tonight's show?!?!!!!
Reply to: #496100 by Trailtracker
Mar 4, 2010 6:02pm
Board
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH
So not laughing at you Trailtracker, just laughing at the show!!
Mar 4, 2010 6:44pm
Board
Bummed?? Why?? 'Cause Cirie is gone? She's another of those people that I never understood why she was so popular.

Personally, I'm soooooooo glad it wasn't Tom!! I just don't understand why it wasn't Candice. No one seems to care for her.

TG
Reply to: #496111 by Trekkie Gal
Mar 4, 2010 6:53pm
Board
If nobody likes Candice who's gonna give her a million dollars? Let her stay and work her butt off.... she can always be the next head on the block.
Mar 4, 2010 7:01pm
Board
I loved Cirie, but it was definitely the smart move to make. They might win a couple of challenges by keeping Tom/Colby, and those two don't have a dangerous social game.

Of course, I don't know if anyone is really getting that with Cirie gone, JT is the biggest social threat they have.
Mar 5, 2010 1:00am
Board
Well, I would say that the new immunity idol threw a wrench into everything. Sounds like Russell is sure to go next time the Villians lose. And I think it changed the thinking on the Heroes side too. It was funny how that came to be that everyone got to see the clue. Funny, ha ha, not strange.
Mar 5, 2010 4:13am
Board
I am SO glad they got rid of Cirie. She was already playing the individual game, voting out the strong players - when the heroes can't win a challenge. You need to keep the strong dudes around, sweetheart, or the heroes team is going to dwindle to nothing before the merge. So I was glad they sent her packing. Not to mention that to a middle-aged woman, Tom and Colby are both WAY better eye candy than she is.
Reply to: #496147 by Okie Dog
Mar 5, 2010 4:28am
Board
I was surprised how clues to the Idol were revealed. Russell does seem to be in a little bit of trouble now. Can't wait until next week!
Reply to: #496155 by TrailTroll
Mar 5, 2010 4:29am
Board
I loved that move!
Reply to: #496159 by R2L2D-J
Mar 5, 2010 4:34am
Board
Russell is so smart and shifty. He's definitely not going anywhere for a while. But it doesn't look good for Tom next week. He seems to be the next going home with that target on his back. There are just too many people against him and he doesn't have the numbers.