Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Well I guess this is the group...

Re: Well I guess this is the group...
Board: Why Did I Just Do That!?
Reply to: #449369 by koalacat
Oct 10, 2009 8:35am
Board
I lock my keys frequently in the car. It happens at least once a year.

I've locked the keys in my car once in my entire life. Definitely not something I do "frequently," but I did have an unusual way of getting the car unlocked. I was in a busy parking lot at the time it happened--there was a Civil War reenactment going on, and people were everywhere. So I decided to start asking around if someone had a screwdriver I could borrow.

The reason being is because I suspected that there were spare keys hidden behind the back license plate. I bought my car used, and when I moved up to Oregon from California, I had to change the plates. When I took off the old plates, that's when I discovered a set of keys hidden behind them. Interesting, I thought, and I assumed the keys were spares for the car. What else would they be for? I didn't actually try them, however. Just thought it was interesting and figured I may as well leave them there. Why not? They weren't hurting anything.

Fast forward a year or so when I locked my keys in the car. I could call AAA, but wouldn't it be faster to retrieve the presumed spare keys from behind the license plate? I couldn't exactly get the license plate off with my fingernails, though. I needed a screwdriver. So I started asking around if anyone had a screwdriver in their car that I could borrow.

I found someone who did have one, and I explained about locking my keys in the car but that there were spares behind the license plate. He looked at me skeptically--like it was the craziest story he'd ever heard, but went ahead and let me borrow the screwdriver and watched as I started taking off the back license plate of my car. I know he was thinking I was up to no good, but the license plate came off and sure enough, there was a set of keys.

The guy seemed to perk up when he saw the spare keys, saying, "Well, at least I know it really is your car--there's no way a stranger would have known about keys hidden behind the license plate!" All the time I was thinking, "I really, really hope these ARE spare keys for the car and not spare keys for the house of a previous owner or something...."

But it unlocked the door of the car. Whew. =) I screwed the license plate back on and returned the screwdriver, and continued on with the rest of my day.

The irony is that if I had locked my keys in the car before I moved to Oregon, I would have never known about the spare hidden behind the license plate. It's all about timing.

-- Ryan
Re: Well I guess this is the group...
Reply to: #449503 by Green Tortuga
Oct 10, 2009 12:04pm
Board
Good thing they did work for the car. While reading it I thought, oh no, they are going to be the keys for something else.
Re: I locked my keys in the car too
Reply to: #449379 by resQlou
Apr 5, 2012 10:25pm
Board
I once locked my keys in my car when in line for an oil change, ironically I told my friend with me to be sure to get your keys out of his car so he wouldn't lock them in and what do I do, yes lock my darn keys in the car! Talk about embarrassing.