Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Only $14.99 per box! (Compass not included)

Re: Only $14.99 per box! (Compass not included)
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #375418 by Road Junkies
Apr 14, 2009 8:53am
Board
Figured out how to install a shower pan liner gasket in a peanut jar to make it watertight

We came across a few of those a couple of weeks ago and wondered about the gasket. Very effective!

It's very effective when closed securely. Unfortunately, there are many letterboxers who don't feel the need to close screw-top containers securely, so these boxes usually get wet inside sooner or later. Not the place to go commando; baggies are essential.

That's one of the benefits of a Lock&Lock or other latch-top container, and the reason the military used a latch on their ammo cans: You can't half-a$$ close them, they're either closed or they're not. With any screw-top container there's always the question of whether you've got the top tight enough. Even the auto industry had to redesign the gas cap with a "clicker" to make sure people closed it tightly.
Reply to: #375230 by X Marks The Spot
Apr 14, 2009 9:30am
Board
You can't even imagine how much money I have spent just MAKING boxes.

Don't think about it, X!!! Just keep making them!

Wolf *who applauds X for not charging admission to some of his unbelieveable constructions!*
Reply to: #375474 by The Wolf Family
Apr 14, 2009 9:34am
Board
who applauds X for not charging admission to some of his unbelieveable constructions

You may have just given him an idea.

GG
Reply to: #375406 by Gryffindors
Apr 14, 2009 10:10am
Board
My small laminator is one of my bargain shopping coups. I found it at Rite-Aid on the clearance shelf for ten bucks!
Reply to: #375480 by Goofy girl
Apr 14, 2009 11:52am
Board
Insert a quarter...get access to a letterbox...oh it's crossed my mind several times and I have hunted for a couple of really cool "things" on E-bay. That would fit the bill. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.

"X"
Reply to: #375542 by X Marks The Spot
Apr 14, 2009 11:54am
Board
at least you are only charging a quarter.

GG
Reply to: #375226 by SuziLivvi
Apr 14, 2009 1:33pm
Board
Agreed! although I do "Sell" letterboxing by telling people that its not expensive to get started... which is true..... its what happens AFTER you get started that gets expensive LOL
Re: Events, was:Only $14.99 per box!
Reply to: #375248 by Baqash
Apr 14, 2009 3:24pm
Board
I will be going to Ukiah (I think) on my way north. Maybe we can meet in the middle somewhere for a boxing day.

North from where? If you are coming through San Francisco be sure to let us know. We have about 40 boxes in SF alone, dozens more "on the way north" in Marin, Sonoma etc. And now that Spongebobboh is in Eureka I imagine there are some new plants up there too.

PS Thanks for the gorgous patch! Oh- add patches to the letterboxing budget..
Reply to: #375269 by MrDragonfly
Apr 14, 2009 3:26pm
Board
blackberry addiction

Isn't that the little handheld thing we call "crackberry"? Addictive is right! I'm afraid even our president has caught the bug.
Apr 14, 2009 3:27pm
Board
Oooh! At least you didn't get any PARKING TICKETS!!!!

--klk/fw
Reply to: #375274 by deniserows
Apr 14, 2009 3:29pm
Board
TOTAL PRICE:$ my sanity $

Isn't this where the credit card commercial ends "..priceless".

Well denise I for one am awfully glad you are addicted, since we get to find your boxes!! Off to Pacifica this weekend!

Actually I think all these shorter evening hikes after work and weekend longer hikes have done me a world of good. So it's a *healthy* addiction. Much better than sniffing glue, IMHO.
Reply to: #375499 by Funhog
Apr 14, 2009 3:36pm
Board
I found it at Rite-Aid on the clearance shelf for ten bucks!

I am so jealous!
I have been doing OK using "cold lamination" method of the sheets of clear Contact paper. You can get it in a roll, less expensive. I use it for kid's photos (to carry in wallet etc) or to make luggage tags, cover a paperback book I want to keep nice, etc.

I am so glad we have "SCRAP" a warehouse of "recycled art parts" with posterboard, card stock, vintage and new greeting cards, magazines (for themed log book covers), altoids and other metal tins, odd plastic containers and all sorts of craft stuff. Sometimes even magnets! Half used glues, markers.. don't usually see stamp pads, alas. All for just pennies. They even have a big free area where I usually can get card stock or recycled letterhead stationery (nice thick cotton rag stuff, for logbooks)
Reply to: #375668 by SuziLivvi
Apr 14, 2009 3:39pm
Board
Ah.... my bargains of the day: Office Depot's WorkLife Rewards Program sent me a gift card for $16-something (a portion of what I'd spent there in a quarter), and I took it there today, buying 3 stamp pads (red, blue, black) and a Liquid Paper Tape gadget (for my daughter), and it cost me only $1.79 out of pocket! (Now, if I'd bought the HP ink cartridges I need to have on hand, it'd be a different story, wouldn't it?!)
Re: Events, was:Only $14.99 per box!
Reply to: #375663 by SuziLivvi
Apr 14, 2009 3:39pm
Board
Sonoma probably. SF, probably not. Redding is in pencil on the map for Hog Heaven. But, like I said. Only the first three legs are planned. And those only get me as far as Santa Ana.
Reply to: #375438 by Pungent Bob
Apr 14, 2009 3:41pm
Board
What would you have been doing otherwise? I suspect a lot of folks would be happy to leave the Vegas vicinity only down $140.

Oh the whole trip was about $600 for 4 days- airfare, hotel, meals, cab. Believe it or not, I did not gamble one thin dime! Not opposed to it, just broke and busy and had the kiddo with me so we just did all the free attractions on the strip. (and a friend's wedding)

The $140 was JUSt renta a car, gas and admission to the two state parks. But since I went for a wedding I could not fairly charge the hotel and airfare to the LB Hobby line item.

What I would be doing otherwise? Letterboxing at home of course! There are at least 75 boxes within 50 miles we have not hit up yet. Porbably 125 within 75 miles. SF Bay Area is boxing paradise.
Reply to: #375665 by SuziLivvi
Apr 14, 2009 3:41pm
Board
Let me get this right, if I get a blackberry I can search for clues and see them wherever I am?
Reply to: #375675 by MushrooM
Apr 14, 2009 3:43pm
Board
Let me get this right, if I get a blackberry I can search for clues and see them wherever I am?

if you pay for online service and have service where you are.
Reply to: #375667 by FungusWoman
Apr 14, 2009 3:45pm
Board
PARKING TICKETS!!!!

K- You didn't seem so VICIOUS when we met in person last month (and.. I got a parking ticket for using LESS than a whole parking space??! Thanks, City of San Jose!)
Reply to: #375676 by Baqash
Apr 14, 2009 3:51pm
Board
Hummm I have a BIG birthday coming up and I see I can get a blackberry with GPS too! hummmmm..... I see another Letterboxing expense rapidly approching!
Reply to: #375450 by Kirbert
Apr 14, 2009 4:14pm
Board
I have had a Xyron machine for many years.

There are cartridges for laminating, for making items into stickers (permanent adhesive), temporary adhesive, and a cartidge with laminating AND adhesive (laminated stickers).

This is cold lamination: you can cut your laminated item in half and it will not peel. It, however, does not add the extra stiffness that hot lamination does. It is like having something put between 2 smooth sheets of contact paper.

The lamination/adhesive cartridge has been used by Yiker and I for years. We have made homemade bath salts for many years and run off labels on the computer for the tops of the bath salts. We rubber stamp an image on the labels, run them through this cartridge and fold them in half on top. They stick to the sealed bag and are laminated, so they can be around bathtubs with no worry.

Xyron can be expensive but I love mine and use it quite often!

I will rubber stamp blank business cards with holiday stamps, and run them through the adhesive cartridge. They become gift tags for presents: write on the tags, peel off and STICK to the gift. These puppies will not come off so people are not confused on who gets what present.

I will also do up a dozen or so and give them as gifts for other people to use for gift wrapping. My sister loves these!

KuKu
Reply to: #375676 by Baqash
Apr 14, 2009 4:23pm
Board
I have a blackberry pearl and I can't seem to figure out how to do this? Is it just the full size blackberry or is there a progrtam I'm missing?
Reply to: #375701 by Seattle Bound
Apr 14, 2009 4:55pm
Board
I have a Blackberry Pearl, too... couldn't figure out this either. However, I cut & paste the clues I want into an email & send to the phone. NO more papers in hand.
Reply to: #375719 by carolina wine trail
Apr 15, 2009 7:22am
Board
I do that too- but now I carry papers for backup. My phone died about 100 miles out of town one time and I didnn't have the charger. No more hunting for me that day.
Reply to: #375953 by Seattle Bound
Apr 15, 2009 8:00am
Board
Yea... I always carry the car charger... as well as making sure I've Completely charged the phone before leaving home. Otherwise, might have no access to the clues I sent myself
Nov 4, 2011 3:49am
Board
It is a low cost hobby. It's the obsession that gets expensive! :)
Reply to: #375453 by Kirbert
Nov 4, 2011 5:27am
Board
You can't half-a$$ close them, they're either closed or they're not.

I found a L&L lid put on upside down once. For real.
Nov 5, 2011 9:38am
Board
I was keeping the cost pretty low until I hooked up doing events with Slick Kitty and got into making LTC's....The fun is worth the cost though!
Reply to: #652264 by greenmountainhiker
Jan 3, 2019 1:31pm
Board
It couldn't be better put GMH.!!!!!!!
Reply to: #375453 by Kirbert
Jan 3, 2019 1:46pm
Board
It's very effective when closed securely. Unfortunately, there are many letterboxers who don't feel the need to close screw-top containers securely, so these boxes usually get wet inside sooner or later.

I plan on the inside eventually getting wet. That is why I put everything in plastic bags. I use the container as a hard shell to protect the plastic bags. The container also served to keep out bugs.
Reply to: #969959 by Oberon_Kenobi
Jan 4, 2019 1:32am
Board
I plan on the inside eventually getting wet. That is why I put everything in plastic bags.

Unfortunately, those same boxers don't see the need to close baggies properly either. You'd be amazed at how often I've checked on my boxes and instead of the log book in one baggie and the stamp in another, both items are crammed into one baggie where they don't fit and hence the baggie cannot be sealed shut, and the other baggie left empty and just crammed back into the box.