Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Don't ask for addresses on the message boards

Crazy LBers (was Re: Don't ask for addresses)
Board: LTC: Trades and Trackers
Reply to: #344065 by preboxed
Jan 28, 2009 7:19pm
Board
Ok.... so I'm not here to agree or disagree with the thread. It just reminded me of a story I thought would be fun to share.

So, in December, I was allotted block leave (I'm military) to go home for Christmas, but parking garage fees at the airport are atrocious. So, I sent an all-call asking if anyone had some extra driveway to spare while I was gone.

Well, Romana (the absolute angel that she [and her whole family!] is) said that not only would she lend me some curb, but she would drive me to and pick me up from the airport as well!!!!! So, she gives me her address, I head on up there, she takes me to the airport, I hand her the keys, she drives off and I fly away. Did I mention that I had NEVER MET Romana before??

Well, I get home and through conversation my husband asks me if I need money to pay for the parking garage fees when I get back. I cheerily say that it's not necessary because "Romana" has my car. *husband looks confused* Who's Romana? Oh, it's a letterboxer who lives near the airport. She drove me to the airport and she's gonna keep my car and then pick me up when I get back. *husband looks rather incredulous* Really.... and is Romana her real name or letterboxing name? Letterboxing name. And what is her real name? Uh, actually, I don't really know. *husband is beginning to look kinda scary/insane* So, let me get this straight.... you gave your car over to some letterboxer who you've never met and whose real name you don't know?! *Infinity looks like she just got caught with her hand in the cookie jar* Uhhh, yeah. Yeah, I did. And how do you expect to explain that one to the police? Uh, gee, Mr. Officer... I'd like to report that my car was stolen by a girl who I actually gave the car to, and whose name I don't know...

That, my friends, is true trust in letterboxing.....

And, needless to say, I did get my car back. And not only did she pick me up and give me my car back, but she did the exact same thing one week later when I had to fly out for a Firefighter's Banquet!! *hugs to Romana, HeartWriter, and Doctor!!!!!*

:-)
Infinity
Reply to: #344076 by Infinity
Jan 28, 2009 8:11pm
Board
So, let me get this straight.... you gave your car over to some letterboxer who you've never met and whose real name you don't know?!

That is great. I am so glad you shared that with us. I don't know whether to laugh, cuz it is funny or cry because it's so awesome.

Janet
Reply to: #344087 by Blooming Flower
Jan 28, 2009 8:19pm
Board
I don't know whether to laugh, cuz it is funny or cry because it's so awesome.

Ditto!

pre
Jan 28, 2009 8:23pm
Board
So, let me get this straight.... you gave your car over to some letterboxer who you've never met and whose real name you don't know?

And who is actually a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. (Bet you didn't mention that :) )

dancing pecan
Jan 29, 2009 4:58am
Board
My family has been the same way. They think it's absolutely crazy to meet someone for an exchange or lunch that you don't even know. You don't know if theyre "serial killers".... or even their real names....Please tell me the kids aren't going.....

I have to laugh at them and tell them don't worry, I'll be back soon....with the kids!!
Re: Don't ask for addresses on the message boards
Reply to: #344039 by peaceful Warrior
Jan 29, 2009 6:37am
Board
but am still failing to see the potential shenanigans

First not saying that anything like happened to me could or would ever happen here, but I had a totally unbelievable thing happen thru ebay.

It got so bad that the main UPS office got involved and ebay itself and they pulled the guy off and he was threatened with being prosecuted.

UPS stopped a package, I think it was in New Mexico, from ever leaving there to get to me.
(Altho I never found out what was in the package.)

The wacko told me it would be a BIG SURPRISE for me...now just that alone doesn't sound like much, but this was after ALOT of extremely nasty emails (after printing out it was over 2 inches high)...and UPS took it very serious and did not want that package to even make it to Indiana.

Now nothing actually happened except ALOT of harrasement, but the possiblity of something far worse could have became real....after all he did have my ADDRESS!

It is just so much easier to be safe than sorry.

kooky kirby
Jan 29, 2009 6:56am
Board
I'm 30 years old and mom to a 6 yr old and my mom who lives about 1200 miles away would KILL me if she knew how I met letterboxers and went on secluded hikes with people I really don't even know. I choose to leave a-lot of stuff out when I talk to her......
Reply to: #344163 by kooky kirby
Jan 29, 2009 7:40am
Board
Wow...I'm really glad you're okay Kooky! What a scary story. Sounds like a road rage story I heard yesterday. Yikes....scariness/craziness does abound.

As for the issue of passing out addresses, I have to side with pW on this one. I understand the point of not giving someone's address out without their permission as a courtesy, but I still feel that while there are crazies out there that we need to be cautious of, the crazies can easily get your (or my) address through a simple internet search, etc. Please understand that I'm not saying there aren't legitimate points being made in this thread but someone's address is not private information...it's public. It's not the same as passing out SSN's. I think it's more appropriate to label not passing out addy's a courtesy instead of a safety issue.
Reply to: #344193 by Sweet n Sassy
Jan 29, 2009 9:03am
Board
the crazies can easily get your (or my) address through a simple internet search, etc. Please understand that I'm not saying there aren't legitimate points being made in this thread but someone's address is not private information...it's public. It's not the same as passing out SSN's. I think it's more appropriate to label not passing out addy's a courtesy instead of a safety issue.

Hey there SnS...here's my take...not sure if it's completely true, but it is my impression:

Some people on AQ don't ever associate their trailname with their TRUE identity--even in swaps. Although I have shared my real name with lots of 'boxers I've met, even many of them have no idea what it is. I haven't intentionally withheld the information, it's just the way it is. I'm sure many people DO intentionally withhold that information. In these cases, looking for an address for someone called, for example, "zess the treehuggers" could be quite a challenge (hhhmmm..wondering about this). I have given my hometown in my profile, which would make it more possible, but not everyone does.

~zess~
Reply to: #344226 by zess the treehuggers
Jan 29, 2009 9:50am
Board
I look at it this way...

while I give my real name and address freely, I like to know who has it. so I prefer that I am the one giving it out. so here, it is a matter of courtesy.

in the case of LTC swaps, everyone needs the leader's address, but I'd rther see it given in email, rather than even in the tracker notes. why? because everyone who comes to AQ can see the tracker notes. even people who are not letterboxers.

yes, the people that letterboxing sucks in are mostly wonderful people, and most of us would never show up unannounced at another's doorstep (although I have heard of this happening), but what we tend to forget is that anyone could see any personal information that is posted on the boards or in the tracker notes, or on our profiles. AQ is a publicly acessible website.

how would you feel if, (for example), you had planted a box where it shouldn't be on national park land, and a ranger found it, and they came to AQ and either by finding it on a message board or a tracker page, or by asking on the boards, got someone to give them your address, then with your address, they were able toget your full name, and the first thing you heard of any of it was that a boxer told you your box was missing, and then you got a letter from some lawyer demanding you pay huge federal fines for littering or whatever else they can think of slamming you with for leaving the box in the park.

not to mention that unscrupulous types could possibly, once they have your name and addy, get your phone nmber, and then more and more info, and there goes your identity.

so it is a matter of both courtesy and safety, and only our group can safeguard the other members of our group.

romana
Reply to: #344226 by zess the treehuggers
Jan 29, 2009 9:52am
Board
In these cases, looking for an address for someone called, for example, "zess the treehuggers" could be quite a challenge (hhhmmm..wondering about this). I have given my hometown in my profile, which would make it more possible, but not everyone does.

excellent point my dear Zess~ *smile*
Reply to: #344248 by Romana
Jan 29, 2009 9:58am
Board
My only point was that if someone wants your identity enough they will find your address and they will likely find it easily. I don't disagree with anything said in this thread but simply trying to bring an alternate perspective. I humbly respect those that feel it's a safety issue and I understand those that want to pass out their address themselves. *bowing out now*
Reply to: #344193 by Sweet n Sassy
Jan 29, 2009 10:01am
Board
Yes, it was scary and opened my eyes a little more....and very thankful that I had the help I did when I really wasn't taking it as serious as it could have become.

the crazies can easily get your (or my) address through a simple internet search,

Isn't that the truth...boy how we have made it so easy for them!

I think it's more appropriate to label not passing out addy's a courtesy instead of a safety issue.

Sounds good to me...one will lead to the other!
Life should be enjoyed...not having to look over your shoulder all the time! (kinda ruined me on 'surprises' tho :)

kk
Reply to: #344172 by Sharkboy and Lavagirl
Jan 29, 2009 10:45am
Board
if she knew how I met letterboxers and went on secluded hikes with people I really don't even know.

How 'bout trekkin' 8300 miles across the country to meet with 'strangers' all along the way? My mom just tried not to think about it too much...

By the way, it was a great ride!

~SHH :-)
Reply to: #344284 by Inky Jedi
Jan 29, 2009 10:50am
Board
Wow! I could never tell my mom that. She would have a heart attack on the spot.
Jan 29, 2009 10:50am
Board
I only did an 1100 mile trek along the way

GG
Reply to: #344248 by Romana
Jan 29, 2009 11:13am
Board
because everyone who comes to AQ can see the tracker notes. even people who are not letterboxers

I don't think that is true. Aren't the tracker notes just for people signed up on the tracker?
Jan 29, 2009 7:17pm
Board
Infinity, I totally understand. You should have seen the look I got from my mom when I told her that my family and I were going to spend the night with Papa Bear and Ladymouse. That was priceless.

Mandy
Jan 29, 2009 7:48pm
Board
quote>How 'bout trekkin' 8300 miles across the country to meet with 'strangers' all along the way?

Yes, it was awesome! We had meets set up in so many places and met some great people - lots of our friends thought it was crazy, but we knew it would work.

We'd do it again in a heartbeat!

TTT :o)