About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Our new 'boxing horror story

Our new 'boxing horror story
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jan 3, 2009 10:26pm
Board
So, we wanted to check on our newest out of state box before we left. When we pulled up to the nice city park in my mom's upscale town, we saw a police car parked in a school parking lot about 100 yards in front of us. The lights were on, but no siren. It looked like they'd made a traffic stop.
While my friend and I were walking through the park with our two kids, my husband stayed at the van with our youngest. After a few minutes we got a call from my husband telling us that he had watched the suspect get away from the police. We thought it prudent to gather the kids and head back to the van. When we were almost back to the gate of the park I could see the police car and the activity. I heard "drop your weapon!" and then gunshots! I grabbed my daughter and pulled her to the ground, all the while telling her about the beautiful humming bird I had just seen (She's 5. She bought it). After a few minutes on the ground we decided to beeline it to the van. As we ducked out the gate I saw a man climbing toward us up the hill. He was not in uniform, so could have been undercover or a suspect. I may never know. But all I could think of was that he may try to take one of us hostage. You've never seen me move so fast to get back to the car!
Never expected an experience like that on a letterboxing adventure!
Wild Rose (of PBandJ)
Re: Our new 'boxing horror story
Reply to: #331523 by PBandJ
Jan 3, 2009 10:31pm
Board
Holy smokes! Where did this happen???? I'm glad you all are okay.
Reply to: #331524 by The Cats Meow
Jan 3, 2009 10:36pm
Board
It was in Manhattan Beach, CA.

Trust me, I said an extra prayer that night!

Wild Rose
Jan 3, 2009 10:46pm
Board
I am SO glad you and your daughter are safe!!! hugs!
Jan 3, 2009 11:46pm
Board
When we were almost back to the gate of the park I could see the police car and the activity. I heard "drop your weapon!" and then gunshots!

Sounds like extreme boxing. I am so glad y'all made it out safe and sound. I can't even imagine the horror you must have felt while it was happening. That's the kind of stuff you expect to see on TV, not in real life.

Hugs to you all,
Janet
Reply to: #331530 by Blooming Flower
Jan 4, 2009 2:58am
Board
Hopefully the Meet and Greet, all my new boxes, and the holidays with the family made your visit good enough to not let that shocking ending ruin it.

Kelsung
Jan 4, 2009 7:59am
Board
Maybe a new subset within the "extreme" category?? heyokah man
Jan 4, 2009 8:13am
Board
BIG SEEKERS HUGS to you !!!
Thank the Lord you are OK !!

Dina B.
Charlie
The Seekers 1108
Maiden, NC
Jan 4, 2009 9:28am
Board
OMG! Hugs to your whole family. I am so glad you are all safe. Your poor husband must have been in horror watching all that too. Knowing you were still out there and there wasn't anything he could do to protect you both. Your Angel was working double time.

humngbrdwchr
Jan 4, 2009 9:49am
Board
PBandJ--that is some story! I guess you better go and change your answer on your profile question, that has got to be the scariest thing to encounter! (and with one of your babies too!) Good thing you were close to your vehicle. Stay safe! Terrio
Reply to: #331539 by Kelsung
Jan 4, 2009 3:37pm
Board
Couldn't ruin our visit. We had a great time, especially with the Meet and Greet and all the great boxing. Oh yeah, and a birthday and Christmas thrown in for good measure.
=) Wild Rose