Search Edit Search

Read Thread: SoftKut (sp?) ??

Re: SoftKut (sp?) ??
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #319883 by Suzy Lou
Dec 6, 2008 10:00am
Board
I think Nasco makes it.

Nasco offers at least two products. Their Softoleum is gray (no whitish about it) and it's awful. I haven't tried their other stuff, I think it's called Safety Kut and I understood it was white, and we've had a couple of reports that it's not bad.
Reply to: #320026 by Kirbert
Dec 6, 2008 10:27am
Board
Okay, I thought Nasco made it, but they don't.
Here's a picture:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz404/01/
Reply to: #320041 by Suzy Lou
Dec 6, 2008 10:34am
Board
Here's a picture:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz404/01/

I tried one gray stuff that I was told was Dick Blick's Soft-Kut. It was awful; the razor knife would tug and grab trying to cut it. But others have reported being reasonably happy with Soft-Kut, which would be unfathomable with the stuff I was using, so I guess it wasn't Soft-Kut after all.
Reply to: #320048 by Kirbert
Dec 6, 2008 10:48am
Board
huh. well, I guess I'll find out on Tuesday.
Safety-Kut Was Re: SoftKut (sp?) ??
Reply to: #320061 by Suzy Lou
Dec 6, 2008 4:02pm
Board
The Nasco product is Safety-Kut. I've used it before and the quality is pretty good. It's softer than PZ Cut, not as soft as Master Carve, about like Speedy Carve but grayish/tan in color.

It seems to take ink pretty well, doesn't seem to degrade as rapidly as Master Carve if you're coloring in images and is fairly affordable. It also comes in pre-cut 2" and 4" circles as I just discovered on the Nasco website. Might have to do something with that. :-)

Knit Wit
Safety-Kut Was Re: SoftKut (sp?) ??
Reply to: #320163 by knit wit
Dec 6, 2008 5:02pm
Board
The Nasco product is Safety-Kut. I've used it before and the quality is pretty good. It's softer than PZ Cut, not as soft as Master Carve, about like Speedy Carve but grayish/tan in color.

It seems to take ink pretty well, doesn't seem to degrade as rapidly as Master Carve if you're coloring in images and is fairly affordable. It also comes in pre-cut 2" and 4" circles as I just discovered on the Nasco website. Might have to do something with that. :-)

Good review of Nasco's Safety-Kut. I've been using it for 10 years and agree with your findings.