A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Stamp suggestions...

Re: Stamp suggestions...
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #313138 by The hicks from the sticks
Nov 19, 2008 8:08pm
Board
Anything is possible! The sky is the limit. Take what you love the most and turn it into a stamp or series. The biggest battle is finding the image itself. If you can go to a library or get your hands on some old books, a lot of the illustrations are in black and white. I've carved under 20 stamps, 15 of which were negative and once I starting carving positive a whole new world opened up with endless possibilities. This is what I was able to achieve on my 4th positive carve http://www.atlasquest.com/gallery/viewphoto.html?gPhotoId=57085..

You can doooo it ;-) XXOO
Nov 19, 2008 8:32pm
Board
I wish more stamps were related to the location in which they are planted. Those are my favorite, especially when I'm on vacation. There are so many interesting places out there, and so much that people can learn about those places.

I just placed a series on a trail that most people would probably just call the "blue" trail. It's actually called the Pomperaug Trail, and it's been around probably since the 1930's, worked on by the CCC during the Depression, overlooking a lake and river with a lot of history - bald eagles, shad runs, dams and fish ladders.... I incorporated some of this into my stamps. It was also fun learning about the location (I had never been there before I planted the stamps, so I had to do some research).
Nov 20, 2008 4:38am
Board
I've seen series' based on local history or legend, nursery rhymes, local wildlife, movies, tv shows.
You could do local plants: wildflowers or trees. You could pick a series of books and do something related to the series, for example, if you lived near where a famous author once lived you might do a series commemorating his/her books. You could do places you'd like to visit. Different types of fish: this could be three series'--freshwater, saltwater, and aquarium :). If you've moved around a lot, places you've lived could make a series. Dogs, cats, horses, cows (Fluffy or otherwise).

dancing pecan
Nov 20, 2008 5:36am
Board
How about things to do with your state? Like state bird, flower, fish, flag, etc. Usually your state has several things that are their own symbol/emblem. If you look online it's an unusual list and everyone would likely learn something by finding them....
Wood6 (who might do that herself...already have the bird planted...Hmmmm)
Nov 20, 2008 6:04am
Board
These are all good suggestions. Please keep them coming. They are starting the creative juices to warm up. I like the idea of a theme. Hmmm....

~Aurora
Reply to: #313228 by The hicks from the sticks
Nov 20, 2008 7:25am
Board
Is there a favorite show of yours? I adore Battlestar Galactica and am working on a series from that show. Favorite books? I'm starting to gather artwork from my favorite childhood books to maybe create a series. You could create a stamp "library" of images or characters from your favorite books and tie in hints in your clues about who/where they are. Places you've lived, places you'd like to live? Local history (even if its personal history)? If you have a favorite color you could make a series of stamps of items that are that color. Favorite country? Your favorite magazines/vegetables/coffee shops/museums/roller rinks/parks around town? Pick something that gets you fired up, something you like. That's what I do and then I get into carve-o-matic mode and start cranking out stamps. No one will mess with a person with an exacto and a crazed look in their eye. Not if they know what's good for them.
Reply to: #313163 by GreatBigSabres
Nov 20, 2008 8:29am
Board
Very nice. That's a great idea about going to the library to find old illustrations. They were most likely originally wood or metal block prints so they translate very well into stamps.
Positive vs. Negative Carving?
Reply to: #313163 by GreatBigSabres
Dec 6, 2008 9:14am
Board
I've carved under 20 stamps, 15 of which were negative and once I starting carving positive a whole new world opened up with endless possibilities.

Ths image you posted is stunning! For someone with no artistic talent or training, can you please explain negative vs. positive carving?

Thanks!!
Re: Positive vs. Negative Carving?
Reply to: #320006 by Road Junkies
Dec 6, 2008 12:05pm
Board
For someone with no artistic talent or training, can you please explain negative vs. positive carving?

I didn't see any answer to your question so here goes.

If you have an image transferred to the carving medium. Let say it is a circle. If you were to carve the line of the circle it would make a negative image. Everything other than the line would be dark and the line would be the color of the paper you are stamping on.

If you carve everything other than the line , removing all the material inside the circle and outside of the circle it would make a positive image of the circle on the paper when you stamped it.

Most new boxers start with negative images as they are less labor intensive and easier. Once you start carving positive images then you can do more complex images.

Don
Reply to: #320099 by Don and Gwen
Dec 6, 2008 5:35pm
Board
Thanks! I sort of thought that might be the difference but wasn't at all sure.
Reply to: #320099 by Don and Gwen
Dec 6, 2008 6:31pm
Board
The easiest way to think about positive vs. negative space is: That which will NOT be inked when the stamp is inked is negative space. Aka, the part the stamp maker carves away is negative space.

I'd just like to say, that even my own carving with the simplest of images/earlier efforts just seem to "pop" more and IMHO are better stamps when more, rather than less negative space is used. When I was starting out I looked for very binary images to use, meaning really easy to see what I'd carve and what would be left. This is not hard really, it just means carving away more. Negative space can be very interesting once you can see its effects - then work from there for many possible combinations.

For the best, well-known example of negative space that most you have no doubt seen, take a look at the FedEx log

Can you spot what I mean re: the use of negative space? Most never notice it (except perhaps subconsciously) - making it a simple but effective logo.

pre
Reply to: #320200 by preboxed
Dec 6, 2008 6:45pm
Board
Thanks so much Pre, for clarifying this question. Yeah, right! I have been carving for quite some time now, and I still don't know the difference, even with your so enlightening explanation. It boggles my mind each time I hear an explanation. I think I am carving more postitive, but when asked I go blank. Even with the explanation of holding an old fashioned negative of a picture in my hand and looking at it, I get confused. Soooo, I just keep on with the way I am doing it, postitive/negative, it still gets done. ha. Lets just say, there is lots more white when printed with a black ink pad, than when I started. And this is just me! And I like to color!!!! Yes!!
OD
Reply to: #320200 by preboxed
Dec 7, 2008 5:22am
Board
Wow, I never noticed the arrow in the FedEx logo before!!! I even pointed it out to my kids! I can't believe I never noticed it! I'm blown away.

KV
(again, wow!)
Reply to: #320284 by Sheep Thrills
Dec 7, 2008 7:47am
Board
Wow, I never noticed the arrow in the FedEx logo before!!!

LOL KV--you are not the only one! I looked at the logo, then said "big deal" then read your message and said "what arrow?" Went back and there it was!!! Too cool! DOH! TErrio--logos are lost on me!
Reply to: #320284 by Sheep Thrills
Dec 7, 2008 8:26am
Board
OM, I had to look at that logo about four times, turning my head this way and that, in the process, before I saw that arrow. Very nice!! Thanks for pointing this out Vogt Family.

And cool example, Pre. So much to still learn, always. Sometimes its even to know when to shut up, lol. Do you remember the song, Pre, I talk too Much? I'll worry you to death? Forgive me, my mouth! You were teaching us something and it went totally over my head. [hanging head in shame].

Now, will hear from those who don't like it when someone writes to two people in the same message. :~[ You see, I know better, but the lazy boxer in me, chooses to ignor. Sorry.

On an up note, the negative side of me wants to choose to smile, for "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood". :~]
OD
Reply to: #320213 by Okie Dog
Dec 7, 2008 1:31pm
Board
Here is an example of a simple carving that I think is just so funny. Even a beginner can make me LMAO.
http://www.atlasquest.com/images/gallery/06/42/60342lg.jpg

I don't remember where I found this, so pardon me if it is yours. I'd like to hear from you.