Skip to Content
Register · Login

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Vegan, Environmentally Friendly Stamp Carving?

Re: Vegan, Environmentally Friendly Stamp Carving?
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #311695 by dancingpecan
Nov 17, 2008 8:23am
Board
Well, there you go! You could also get thin cork sheets and cut shapes out and mount them with the vegan glue on wood. The whole thing would be biodegradable then.

Knit Wit
Reply to: #311671 by MisterSnarky
Nov 17, 2008 8:34am
Board
have you considered old-fashioned linoleum? Linoleum is made from flax seed oil - no animals - and I believe you can even find ORGANIC linoleum flooring. We recently put Linoleum click-tiles down in our kitchen, my husband researched the flooring. Click-tiles are already mounted on 1/2 inch of board.

If you find a source, you could get a free sample. I could even send you a piece if you like, but I don't think we got the organic kind; it would be recycling, though. The linoleum part is rather thin, but how deep to you need to cut, really? I thought about trying this a while back, just haven't yet.

KV
Reply to: #311671 by MisterSnarky
Nov 17, 2008 8:49am
Board
I'm a meat eater who doesn't recycle all that often, so I am not up to speed on these issues at all.

People will believe what they are told. (example; political contests)

Use white PZKut and tell folks it is made from_______.

#A. recycled chicken lips.

#B.Non poluting whale sperm.

#C.Natural organic ingredients.(Webfoot is nodding)

Change ink pad labels to reflect that it is made from________.

#A.Rare earth from the Napa Valley. (Wine colored)

#B.Oregon Blueberries.

#C.Reclaimed Pinesol.

Don
Reply to: #311703 by knit wit
Nov 17, 2008 9:05am
Board
Or, for that matter, just use old corks. Spring Chick is, as usual, an inspriation.
Reply to: #311372 by MisterSnarky
Nov 17, 2008 9:23am
Board
The very first letterboxers to plant in east TN carved the stamps from wood. It was a series of three and one of them was my first find. :)

The image was block letters, and would have been a breeze to carve into rubber, but was probably more time consuming to carve into wood.

Still, I thought I'd add this as an option and let you know it has been successful in the past.

-Quiet Place
Reply to: #311695 by dancingpecan
Nov 17, 2008 11:33am
Board
I love carving stamps from cork. You can have a bunch of simple designs and have sophisticated combinations. Like a bunch of different flower and leaf stamps to make big garden. My friends save their wine corks for me for this reason.
nrgkat