About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: They laughed at my SPOR

They laughed at my SPOR
Board: State: Ohio
Oct 23, 2008 6:39pm
Board
I took some items to the annual hazardous waste collection. While they were unloading the paint thinners, batteries, etc., from the back of my car, I noticed the guys smiling and pointing to something. Finally one of them said "Hey lady, do you want to keep those rocks or are you recycling them?"

I forgot that there was a pile of rocks in the back of the car for when I plant a letterbox and there is nothing to hide the box under. I was so embarrassed.
Re: They laughed at my SPOR
Reply to: #300944 by Rosmarinus
Oct 23, 2008 6:57pm
Board
I noticed the guys smiling and pointing to something. Finally one of them said "Hey lady, do you want to keep those rocks or are you recycling them?"

I hope you told them that, yes, you will be recycling them. =)

-- Ryan
Oct 23, 2008 6:57pm
Board
Rose---I was really worried you had a bunch of camo-taped containers back there! =}
Oct 23, 2008 7:01pm
Board
Ok, in the interest of helping Rosmarinus with the embarassment factor, and because I have a theory:

Press "agree" if you also have some rocks in your car for "just in case" when you want to plant a box.

pre
Reply to: #300956 by preboxed
Oct 23, 2008 7:07pm
Board
Press "agree" if you also have some rocks in your car for "just in case" when you want to plant a box.

I do not, never thought of it until now, but...sounds like a great idea!
I bet you thought of a lot of funny things you 'could have' said, after you left.
Oh well, No need to be embarassed, I bet you had them thinking all day.
Oct 23, 2008 7:12pm
Board
if you also have some rocks in your car for "just in case" when you want to plant a box.

I carry bark in the van....;-)

MLR
Reply to: #300962 by Maple Leaf Red
Oct 23, 2008 7:17pm
Board
I carry bark in the van....;-)

Actually, now that you mention it...

Ditto!

pre :-0
Oct 23, 2008 8:03pm
Board
I forgot that there was a pile of rocks in the back of the car for when I plant a letterbox and there is nothing to hide the box under.

ROTFLOL!! You have places with no rocks?! Your soil doesn't grow them each season? I get ornery if I have to look farther than 20 feet for rocks...(Connecticut)
Reply to: #300981 by Trailhead Tessie
Oct 23, 2008 8:26pm
Board
Actually, yes we do.
Oct 23, 2008 8:38pm
Board
Well, even here in Rock-i-sha (AKA Waukesha) County, we do have places without rocks, which amazes me. This area in Wisconsin was right at the edge of the glacier in the "olden days", so we have lots of interesting geological formations like kettles, moraines, drumlins.... Yet I've found boxes without rocks on them - and no rocks to be had in the woods close by. Go figure. And just so you know we had some yard excavating done this fall - DH estimates the dirt was 40% rock!
Oct 24, 2008 3:50am
Board
Hopefully you will be planting a driveby with the aforementioned SPOR, unless you are interested in building strength and stamina.

LB
who has carried SPOR through the woods
Oct 24, 2008 8:09am
Board
Press "agree" if you also have some rocks in your car for "just in case" when you want to plant a box

I don't, but only because I had to clean my car out recently. They're piled next to the garage.
Reply to: #301128 by Mama Stork
Oct 24, 2008 8:34am
Board
I don't, but only because I had to clean my car out recently. They're piled next to the garage.

Hey Mama Stork---does that mean you're gonna give us WOM clues to that pile 'o rocks in your garage?? Does-it? Does-it? Paaa-leeeease?! =D
Oct 24, 2008 8:40am
Board
You have places with no rocks?!

They ain't got no rocks in Florida, except in a few places where old limestone quarries have been turned into parks (such as Lakes Park in Fort Myers). There's a small quantity of Stone Mountain granite residing just off a few trails in SW Florida... ;-)

I'm *S and I approve this post.
Reply to: #300998 by Sunny Side Up
Oct 24, 2008 10:49am
Board
Where I grew up in MN there were no rocks. If we saw rocks while on vacation we would put some in the car for our garden back home. Here in CT they are everywhere. You think you have them out of the yard and next spring there are more. Trying to dig a hole is torture.

When I was boxing down south this spring there weren't many rocks, but lots of pine needles to put the boxes under.
Reply to: #301221 by Trailhead Tessie
Oct 24, 2008 10:56am
Board
We've hunted woods many times looking for a rock to secure a box with, or to fill in a hole that allows the box to be visable. Sometimes it's tough to find one. Or when you do, it burried so deep in the ground you can't budge it.
Reply to: #301225 by The Cats Meow
Oct 24, 2008 11:15am
Board
Be vewwwy vewwwy quiet... I'm hunting gwanite...

~Elmer Fudd
Reply to: #301242 by kilroy
Oct 24, 2008 11:35am
Board
Wow that's just a slight color variation from SPAM. ;-)
Reply to: #301244 by The Cats Meow
Oct 24, 2008 11:38am
Board
Is anyone else getting a charge, laughing at the title of this thread alone?
Reply to: #301246 by MoWizLiz
Oct 24, 2008 11:42am
Board
Is anyone else getting a charge, laughing at the title of this thread alone?

Yes! And who all is weighing in on this thread and that it's still going?! Only in letterboxing!
Reply to: #301246 by MoWizLiz
Oct 24, 2008 12:45pm
Board
I chuckle every time I see the subject line. And Rose, shame on them. They shouldn't be laughing at your SPOR. I for one, think you have a very nice SPOR. The nerve of them. (smile & hug)
Reply to: #301225 by The Cats Meow
Oct 24, 2008 4:31pm
Board
WE wished in FL we had filled a couple buckets to secure them. Great sand to hike upon...but nothing but saw palmetto around for cover!!!