A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Transfer Technique

Re: Transfer Technique
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #289897 by Shadohart
Sep 30, 2008 9:53am
Board
A little further experimentation has revealed that a light dusting of baby powder will get rid of the sticky feeling on the rubber after you transfer the tattoo.

~RW
Reply to: #289898 by RavenWolf
Dec 5, 2008 6:12pm
Board
OK, so I tried this technique earlier. What I have found is that once the tattoo has dried, if your blade is not RAZOR sharp, the image will crumble. How has it worked for you? Do you keep the image damp while carving?

EM
Reply to: #319813 by ElectricMedic
Dec 9, 2008 1:55pm
Board
OK, so I tried this technique earlier. What I have found is that once the tattoo has dried, if your blade is not RAZOR sharp, the image will crumble. How has it worked for you? Do you keep the image damp while carving?

Huh. That's interesting. I've actually never had that problem. The issue I have with tattoo paper is that it is - essentially - medical adhesive and it likes to remain a smidge tacky. A little bit of baby powder takes care of that.

I'm trying to think what would help keep it from crumbling without taking off the tattoo. A thin layer of vaseline maybe? I don't know if that would destroy the image though. Sorry I can't be of more help, I've just never run into that problem. =(

~RW
Reply to: #321342 by RavenWolf
Dec 9, 2008 2:42pm
Board
I got a paper towel and kept is moist. It was one of those tattoos that are mass produced, my mom bought it in a gift store. I wanted to try a few more carves with the tattoos that you get in the machines at the grocery store before I purchase sheets. Thanks for the baby powder idea.

EM