A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: (sigh) Seriously, Spain???

Re: (sigh) Seriously, Spain???
Board: Sports Emporium
Reply to: #267154 by IrishRef
Aug 13, 2008 7:32pm
Board
On the complete opposite end, I was talking with a frustrated Comedy Sportz troupe member from the UK team. He was white and lived near London, but said a lot of people grow up in tiny towns where they've lived for generations without growing up near a single black person. Because of this, they tend to form these elaborate ways around saying the word "black". One was to do this thing where they look like they're quickly brushing something from their face with one hand without touching it and WHISPER the word "black". I'm guessing the idea is that they don't want to offend anyone by telling them that they have dark skin, or mentioning in some way. We all had to laugh, including my UK friend, who said it was ridiculous...it was almost the way my older Southern relatives talked about cancer! They'd whisper the word like they were afraid to catch it if they spoke too loud!

The disappointing one was that he mentioned the other way that older people did it was to sort of pinch your nose, then spread your fingers apart. It took me a minute to get it, but I finally realized it was a gesture to show a broad nose! Anyway, I could understand his frustration...you feel like you're swimming upstream with some folks and will NEVER make headway when the difference in understanding is so huge. The conversation with him was VERY refreshing, though. I find people tend to get defensive in conversations with me about racism, but he (having not been privy to much American history) didn't feel strange talking about prejudice at all with me.
Reply to: #267138 by knit wit
Aug 13, 2008 7:34pm
Board
Yeah, I wasn't sure about posting it because I was afraid of passing it on. I did that once with a different pic and found out that a friend (ex-friend now) had posted that same pic to friends as a sort of joke...it's terrible to look at someone and realize you really know NOTHING about them...!
Reply to: #267204 by Sprite and Highlander
Aug 13, 2008 7:41pm
Board
Quote I was afraid of passing it on.

I saw it yesterday as a headline on Yahoo news so passing it on is probably not something to worry about. I got the impression that the newscasters had been talking about it a bit during the basketball too, but since I haven't been watching much of the Games this time around I don't know if that's true.

Knit Wit