Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: One phone, one sheet, the police and me. . .

One phone, one sheet, the police and me. . .
Board: Kid Shenanigans
Aug 2, 2008 6:54pm
Board
I work third shift Sun - Thur. So, Saturday mornings are harsh, very harsh. Usually, I jump out of bed when my 7 yo gets up and we head to a restaurant with Granny (my mom). Well, this weekend mom is in the NE quadrant of the country. Basically, she ditched me for a Lobsterfest and cool weather.

So, this morning I knew it was going to be hotter than hades, so I decided to stay home. At about 10am I dragged myself and my sheet out of bed and stumbled to the couch to 'keep an eye on the child'.

She asked if she could call her friend, I said sure. I was secretly hoping that a play date would come out of the call.

A bit later I heard the doorbell. I said, "I bet that's Rileigh, go get the door."

She opens the door and says, "It's the police."

I'm thinkin', "What in the world do they want?" I was hoping for their sake that they weren't wanting donations.

I wrapped myself up in my sheet and went to the door. It doesn't get any worse than that, in my mind.

I said, "Hey what's up guys?" It was so out of the 80s, I was embarrassed for myself.

Very nonchalantly they asked me, "Is everything alright?" Did I miss the gunfire? Tornado? Earthquake? I was sleeping that hard.

I looked at them like they were stupid and said, "Yeah, why?"

They said, still nonchalantly, "Someone dialed 9-1-1."

Immediately I was wide awake. Starbucks couldn't wake me that fast. I said, "I'm going to whoop her behind.

I said I was so sorry and asked if they'd like to talk to her. They said, "No, it's no big deal, it happens all the time."

I can't believe they were so calm about it. I sure wasn't.

I put the guilt trip on her. I asked her how she would feel if they were at our door while someone two blocks over was dying. She burst into tears and agreed that she should be grounded from the phone.

I don't know how I got so lucky to get through the first two without this happening. So, this was a first for me. I asked my 24 year old why her and her 22 year old sister never did it and she said they were too scared of me. Where did I go wrong with this one?

Janet
Re: One phone, one sheet, the police and me. . .
Reply to: #261386 by Blooming Flower
Aug 2, 2008 7:01pm
Board
My daughter did this last year (9 years old) while we are at a laundry mat - washer had broke -YUCK!. The police came in and she denied it and so did everyone else - no one made the call. The officer made such a fuss when he was there, after he left, I got Gwen to admit she did it - so I took her to the police station and made her "confess". I thought he would give her enough of a hard time I would never have to worry about it again - he basically told her the same thing - "no big deal" so I had to be the "bad" guy yet again - I think that 911 wasn't taught in schools until recently - I know we were never taught anything about what ifs like I see in school now...I guess it is a good thing though, at least she will know what to do if there is a real emergency.
Aug 2, 2008 7:25pm
Board
don't know how I got so lucky to get through the first two without this happening. So, this was a first for me. I asked my 24 year old why her and her 22 year old sister never did it and she said they were too scared of me. Where did I go wrong with this one?

Same way in our home growing up. Us three older ones were scared of what would happen if our parents found out. No so with our youngest sister. She was always in trouble at home and in school. She had figured them out and knew they had mellowed over the years.

Good luck.
Reply to: #261397 by Hale s Angel
Aug 2, 2008 8:00pm
Board
Sherlock Mike did this as a toddler (barely 2). . . it was thanksgiving, during a time police knows that domestic violence is high . . . the dispatcher called back and asked if everything was okay . . . it was . . . irony of the story, I went to work for police department as a 911 call taker a few years later. ;o)

slick kitty
Aug 2, 2008 8:18pm
Board
My boys are age 23, 20 and 15 years old.....

My oldest son asked me one day "Mom, when did you stop rising kids?" His youngest brother did something that I didn't think was that big of a deal... The oldest said he would have been grounded for a month had he done the same thing. I guess we lighten up as we go.... hmmm sorry older kids!
oceanwinds
Reply to: #266793 by System
Aug 13, 2008 8:50am
Board
This happened to me right after my daughter had gone through one of those little smoke houses the fire dept sets up. I was called back though. My kids were upstairs and had gotten into my room. My daughter told the dispatcher "I don't want there to be a fire" She called back after my daughter hung up and asked if there was a fire.

Alaska HSM