A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: What Luck!

Re: What Luck!
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #205821 by Kirbert
Mar 30, 2008 7:19pm
Board
Interesting.......it sounds like you create boxes and then find places to plant them. So far......we have found places to plant boxes and then created the box/stamp for the spot....so----what do the rest of you do?

I actually batted 0 for 3 in plant attempts today; nuthin' was workin' out
Reply to: #205827 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Mar 31, 2008 7:39am
Board
Both!
Reply to: #205965 by TRH N T
Mar 31, 2008 9:57am
Board
I have only planted two boxes. Both stamps were made after I had the location. I have 4 more boxes ready to plant: 2 are with a location in mind. 2 are cool images that I felt obligated to carve and now I need to figure out where to place them--it's hard. One I may turn into a HH since I can't think of an appropriate location for the image. The other, I have some ideas but have to scout out a suitable resting spot.

SJ Honey Bunny
Reply to: #205822 by mstrwndl
Mar 31, 2008 11:16pm
Board
Quote You wouldn't happen to be in Missouri at the moment would you?

Nope. Alabama.

Quote There is a statue of a bird dog on the square in Warrensburg, Missouri. Maybe you could interest someone there in planting it for you. I mean if that is something you are interested in doing...

Sure, that'd be cool -- if there's any possibility of planting a box where the bird dog stamp would make some sense. He's actually a generic huntin' dog, I guess -- I've been expecting to plant him in some hunting area. I'm in those a lot, actually.
Reply to: #205827 by QueenMother'n'CloudWalker
Mar 31, 2008 11:23pm
Board
Quote Interesting.......it sounds like you create boxes and then find places to plant them. So far......we have found places to plant boxes and then created the box/stamp for the spot...

On average, it probably takes me a full day to make a stamp. Doing it on the spot is totally out of the question. I do, on occasion, note where I'm going and carve a stamp I expect will be appropriate. And sometimes I visit a place, go home and carve a stamp, then return to the place later.

On planting trips, I usually carry a whole bunch of containers -- big ones, little ones, square ones, round ones. Each one has a log book in it, but no stamp. And I carry a bag of stamps. If I find a place I want to plant a box, I select a container that will fit in the hiding place and put a suitable stamp in it.

I went to New Hampshire last summer. Before the trip, I started carving some stamps that I expected would be usable up there -- a snowmobile, a skier, etc. Then I realized that if I didn't find places to plant them, I'd be in trouble! Can't bring them back to Florida with me! I stopped carving that type stamp immediately, and had no trouble planting the ones I had already carved.
Reply to: #206423 by Kirbert
Mar 31, 2008 11:24pm
Board
Quote There is a statue of a bird dog on the square in Warrensburg, Missouri.

Holy full cycle!!!!

I was born in Warrensburg, MO on this date....some # of years ago.

Ooooh a letterboxing hunting dog. Now that's just cool! :-)

pre
Reply to: #206425 by preboxed
Mar 31, 2008 11:40pm
Board
Oooh and no one believe me, with this post, of course, but No Fooling it IS true.

That was back before email, cellphones, and AQ, (gasp) but mom had to telegram pop while he was onboard a US Navy ship to tell him the news. Took his shipmates all day to convince pop it was true.

I have the birth certificate to prove both the when and where. Maybe before I'm 50, as I live and breathe, maybe I'll make a 'box of some sort for those who care to see if foolish trivia CAN mean "what luck."

For those who pay attention, of course.....

pre