A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: What the heck?

What the heck?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Mar 22, 2008 1:04pm
Board
Y'all,
What the heck is McBoxer up to? With all his sneakiness, secrets, and general untrustworthiness towards letterboxing...I want to know what the heck he and his megaconglomerate employer up to? I feel that we, as a letterboxing community, are about to be bamboozled , overwhelmed, and generally tossed to the wolves by corporate america.
I say NO MORE secrets McBoxer...out with it or out with you, sir!!!...Chevy/General Motors has taken us for granted and abused us...what is the McNasty corporation going to do to us...come clean sir...
just my two cents...
be safe...
BR1
Re: What the heck?
Reply to: #202061 by BigRedOne
Mar 22, 2008 1:08pm
Board
I say NO MORE secrets McBoxer...out with it or out with you, sir!!!...Chevy/General Motors has taken us for granted and abused us...

You get the pitchforks and I'll light the torches.

Shiloh
Mar 22, 2008 1:27pm
Board
Could you explain what the heck you're talking about please.
Reply to: #202066 by A Son of Liberty
Mar 22, 2008 1:28pm
Board
I see nothing strange on his profile.
Reply to: #202067 by A Son of Liberty
Mar 22, 2008 1:31pm
Board

Oh boy, are YOU in for a treat pretty soon!
I can't really go into details yet, but we have developed a REALLY great carving tool that is VERY safe for kids. It does require a very soft carving material, but we have that covered, so it is a great combination, and I think kids will really enjoy carving with it. Stay tuned!!
McBoxer

i believe that this is what is being referred too.

~Aurora
Reply to: #202066 by A Son of Liberty
Mar 22, 2008 1:32pm
Board
and this

Well I can't really say anything more for now, but if all goes according to schedule, you will have no trouble getting your hands on some next month.
McBoxer

Hmmmmm.....
Reply to: #202069 by The hicks from the sticks
Mar 22, 2008 1:37pm
Board
Ok I gotcha. Is that really different from talking about a patch to promote it without giving enough information to steel the design though?
Reply to: #202072 by A Son of Liberty
Mar 22, 2008 1:41pm
Board
look at this thread : and decided for your self
Reply to: #202073 by The hicks from the sticks
Mar 22, 2008 1:45pm
Board
Ahhhh. A little under-handed maneuvering there. I doubt it was malicious but still an unnecessary use of sneakiness.
Reply to: #202062 by shiloh
Mar 22, 2008 1:51pm
Board
I'll bring the bloodhounds in case we have to tree him!

Knit Wit
Reply to: #202077 by A Son of Liberty
Mar 22, 2008 1:53pm
Board
A little under-handed maneuvering there. I doubt it was malicious but still an unnecessary use of sneakiness.

Believe me, it is neither malicious or underhanded. And in fact, it IS "necessary sneakiness" since we are not allowed to discuss upcoming test promotions. How's THAT for underhandedly tipping my hand more than I should?
McBoxer
Reply to: #202083 by McBoxer
Mar 22, 2008 2:11pm
Board
Okay...I read through most of the thread. McBoxer I'm not exactly sure what the great clown is up to but if it's a ploy to get us LBers to give him money (the only logical use of a promotion) we won't go for it.

By reading the thread I did get a little insight as to why there were so many people who didn't go for my standard logo idea. The difference between that and what people like Chevy do is that the product I'm making with my logo is designed to help LBers find LBers. Also, the money I make from the hats will go into buying supplies for more boxes (all things that enrich the community not exploit it).
Reply to: #202083 by McBoxer
Mar 22, 2008 2:19pm
Board
Whatever the case may be...I hope you intend to find more boxes if you're going to continue with your test promotion plan. At LEAST 20.

A son of liberty
Reply to: #202082 by knit wit
Mar 22, 2008 3:25pm
Board
Where are the feathers and tar?

Brings a whole new meaning to McChicken...
Reply to: #202120 by scraphappy
Mar 22, 2008 3:27pm
Board
LOL...Good one! BBG
Reply to: #202120 by scraphappy
Mar 22, 2008 3:28pm
Board
I just hope it doesn't come in a Happy Meal....not too many LBers would be too Happy ;)
Reply to: #202122 by snapdragon
Mar 22, 2008 4:14pm
Board
I just hope it doesn't come in a Happy Meal

Even if the Happy Meal was packed in a L&L and came with a stamp and logbook in it? I can think of at least a few people who might have a hard time resisting that... ;)

Sunnyside Seeker
Reply to: #202122 by snapdragon
Mar 22, 2008 4:21pm
Board
we are not allowed to discuss upcoming test promotions. How's THAT for underhandedly tipping my hand more than I should?

First, we can't tell if you are tipping your hand or not. We don't know what's IN your hand. What the heck!? If you are not supposed to tell, then you shouldn't be posting anything anywhere. Where I come from, teasing isn't appreciated.

My personal take on this issue ~ there will be a new "toy" with which kids can carve with some "thing". A gazillion kids and some of their parents in the test market area may "discover" letterboxing. No further comment needed here - I don't want to cause any nightmares.

We letterboxers don't exactly own letterboxing, since it operates the way that it does, but we DO control it, after a fashion. We plant the boxes - we can pull them, if necessary. We provide the clues - we can distribute them differently, if necessary. IF, and only if, this "secret", which as been dangled but not shared (?manners?) turns out to be disruptive, THEN …

I'm with A son of liberty on his point -- if McBoxer is a "real" letterboxer, and not just a corporate shill, then he will get out of Oakbrook and find some other boxes (there are lots and lots in his neighborhood), and his boxing career will continue long after this thread is just digital lint. Better yet, he will get to an event and let someone claim that PT.

I, too, sense that we're being used, or set up, or something else unpleasant.

BUT I trust Webfoot, if in fact, her secret is the same secret. Who knows, maybe there are two (2!) big deals in the works. Meanwhile, wait and see what happens, and then call the firing squad.

Save panic for last.

Maude
Reply to: #202137 by sunnyside seeker
Mar 22, 2008 4:35pm
Board
Even if the Happy Meal was packed in a L&L and came with a stamp and logbook in it?

But the food, not to mention being kept inside a Mickey D's ( i mean have you ever smelled your clothes when you come out of that place???), would ruin the L&L for boxing. Hmmm maybe if you soak it in vingar over night.... (insert unintelligible mumbling here)

Tee who's seen Joey's box furr-ggled twice by critters.
Reply to: #202137 by sunnyside seeker
Mar 23, 2008 7:25am
Board
Even if the Happy Meal was packed in a L&L and came with a stamp and logbook in it? I can think of at least a few people who might have a hard time resisting that... ;)

Sunnyside Seeker

SHHH!!! Don't encourage him!!! :oP

:o)
3H
Mar 23, 2008 1:37pm
Board
Oh so that's what you are up to...are you???...I say down with the McCorporation, down with McBoxer, and we should let Ryan eat the remains while happily walking thru the woods of FLA...He wouldn't stand for his website being used for malicious intent by McMalcontent's...
I am with a son of liberty in the fact that you shouldn't be a poseur and you should get out of your lil cubicle...McDilbert...and find more boxes...
QUIT fattening up our kids...
ya dirty bugger...
DON'T BE SAFE...
BR1
Reply to: #202356 by BigRedOne
Mar 23, 2008 2:27pm
Board

Corporations ARE NOT TO BLAME for that. The responsibilty for what a child eats falls squarely on the shoulders of their parents. If you don't want them to eat it, don't feed it to them! When I was a kid, I got Happy Meals two or three times a year, and then always with a milk and not a soda. I was never a heavy child and I am not a heavy adult.

Corporations are not evil and people need to start taking more personal responsibility.

TG *who feels like remaining on her soapbox until people start to wise up*
Reply to: #202366 by Trekkie Gal
Mar 23, 2008 2:36pm
Board
Corporations are not evil and people need to start taking more personal responsibility.

"Personal responsibility" is quickly fading into obsolescence. People want to been spoon-fed everything that our parents and grandparents had to earn... on silver spoons, no less.

But, back on topic... if I think about it, I might guess that McD's has contracted some manufacturer IN CHINA to provide cheap plastic gouge carving tools and has also contracted with somebody to provide copious quantities of carving material.

If I think a little harder, I might guess that McD's and McBoxer have developed a "treasure hunt" or "art creation" Happy Meal theme, perhaps a combination of both. Maybe there's something good in it. Maybe they're going to get you moving outside.

Whatever it is, I'll just wait and see before passing judgment rather than condemn something I know nothing about.

*S
Board
BigRed said...

Oh so that's what you are up to...are you???...I say down with the McCorporation, down with McBoxer, and we should let Ryan eat the remains while happily walking thru the woods of FLA...He wouldn't stand for his website being used for malicious intent by McMalcontent's...
I am with a son of liberty in the fact that you shouldn't be a poseur and you should get out of your lil cubicle...McDilbert...and find more boxes...
ya dirty bugger...
DON'T BE SAFE...

I generally stay out of the drama but this really upset me. I understand that IF (we don't even know if this is happening) letterboxing got a lot of coverage it would be at least at the beginning really bad for LB'ing. But if you want to protect our lovely hobby the way to do it is to be accepting, show this person our ways before we go off being inappropriately nasty.

I have been LB for just over a year now, and thus far I have had all good experiences with LB’ers, I have come to love this group of people (especially here in FL) as a diverse community. So it really upsets me to see that a fellow LB (a group I hold to a higher standard) being so nasty and telling people to NOT be safe? That is a horrible thing to say to someone.

I agree maybe Mc-whatever should find some more boxes—heck we all should! And I have no problem with people expressing their opinions, I encourage it and I often do it myself. But there is no need to be malicious.

I hope you are ALL safe this Easter Weekend. Happy Hunting.
Board
Whoa!! The man actually has a good idea!! Let's not kill him before we hear him out. *muttering to self* thank God for the legal system *end muttering to self* If you look at what he's told us so far....1. He found a box. 2. Instead of throwing it away he decided to look into the activity. 3. He found us and started talking with us. 4. He then asked a question about renting space to companies on AQ (he is a marketing person after all. It's a good thing he's doing his job.) and he got a NO. period. 5. He also made a statement that implies that McDonald's is working on developing kid-friendly carving materials. What's the big deal?? Do you really think that yelling at the guy will keep him from doing whatever it is he's doing? I hope it doesn't....it seems like he's doing what he's doing out of qppreciation for the hobbie. We should encourage that....mabey try to give a few guidelines but that's it.

I officially retract my statement about having to find 20 boxes.

A son of liberty
Reply to: #202369 by BrewHiker
Mar 23, 2008 2:38pm
Board
But, back on topic... if I think about it, I might guess that McD's has contracted some manufacturer IN CHINA to provide cheap plastic gouge carving tools and has also contracted with somebody to provide copious quantities of carving material.

OF COURSE... we all know what happens to Happy Meal trinkets...

They become geocache trinkets... which means there might be a bunch of geocachers who start carving stamps...

How ironic...

*S
Mar 23, 2008 2:42pm
Board
Star Seals....I agree. If McDonald's played there cards right they could turn this into a huge promotion that showed they were all for outside activities (a healthy generation). Integrate hikes and baseball and letterboxing into there commercials....put stuff that would help kids do all those things in their happy meals....I think it sounds like a good idea. As long as McDonald's doesn't try to take letterboxing over (and from what I see there is no evidence of that) but instead try to let people know about it and enrich it, it would be a GOOD thing.

A son of liberty
Mar 23, 2008 2:50pm
Board
Whatever it is, I'll just wait and see before passing judgment rather than condemn something I know nothing about.

I am concerned, but I agree we better find out what is going on before we panic - I will be super ready to up my counts on my boxes should letterboxing become a happy meal promo.

I have found some local letterboxes the last few weeks that were not hidden well, and last visited by kids. My son letterboxes with me, he well understands that it is a secret, he understands that rehiding a box more important then finding it (I have been complimented by other boxers how well he rehides, but I am always sure to check behind him).

I think it is great to get kids out an moving, on a treasure hunt, fresh air, exercise, off the gameboys and Xboxes, but I hate to have someone's box go missing because it is being hunted by some children with little adult supervision.

I am concerned, but will wait and not panic till we are slapped upside the head with it !

Holly
Reply to: #202373 by A Son of Liberty
Mar 23, 2008 2:56pm
Board
I would also like to point something out. One of the main issues we're discussing here is growth. If a whole bunch of people started letterboxing because some corporation talked about it that would do something to this community and the activity.........change it.

Right now AQ is pretty big but we are all pretty familiar with each other's screen names etc. 1. If lots of people joined and started letterboxing, the enviroment on the boards would change because with more people online the diversity of the discussions would change. I don't see that as really being a bad thing personally. 2. There would probably be a major surge in the number of planted boxes...also a good thing. 3. Now there would also be a surge in the number of box/stamp thieves.....well that's bad. I don't know exactly how to fix that but (I'm sorry Ryan) there would probably have to be a major overhaul on how the website is run i.e. the capability of banning members in a way that would not allow perps to view clues. With more people there is a greater need for structure.

Now, before I get run out of town, I'm not saying that it will happen whether we want it to or not...worst case scenario we could put it up for a vote....what I am saying is that we need to look at what is REALLY bothering us about it and determine whether it's worth putting up this big of a fuss over it.

A son of liberty
Mar 23, 2008 2:58pm
Board
Debuting the McDonald's McBoxing Backpack Meal containing:

1 slice of American Cheese (carving material)
5 baby carrots in the smallest Lock-n-Lock Container
1 juice box
1 McBoxer carving tool --- plastic knife individually wrapped
1 1"x1" square ink pad in pink or blue (girl or boy)

neatly packed in white paper bag printed with backpack clipart and a photo of Ronald McDonald with Marjorie sitting on his shoulder.

No more secrets. No fancy kid friendly gouge cutting tool. No quality. No family outings -- just riding around in a minivan cutting cheese.

C
TCC