A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: mounted stamps

Re: mounted stamps
Board: Stamp Carving and Mounting
Reply to: #4676 by speedsquare
Jun 5, 2005 9:01am
Board
I have a page of the carving tutorial about mounting stamps for ideas as well as the suggestions others have used.

Warped wood isn't a huge concern if you take a couple of precautions to help seal out the water. And if you use a thin layer of foam between the stamp and the mount, it'll compensate for at least a small amount of warpage.

Someone had mentioned using rubber cement for the mounts--I've seen stamps mounted with rubber cement and they've all fallen off over time, so I'd avoid the stuff myself.

But I will also go on record that mounting steps is not required. The vast majority of my stamps are unmounted. Mounting them takes up too much time to do and too much space in my letterboxes. One of my first stamps I mounted just to try, and a few others I created just to create the tutorial. But some people like mounted stamps since it means less-inky fingers and others have done it to make a box seem "nicer." Nothing wrong with that either. =)

Happy trails!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #4673 by the domedreamers
Jun 5, 2005 9:36am
Board

We have started mounting out stamps on peel and stick linoleum tiles(3 for $1 at our local dollar store), and have had success with that.  Only time will tell if the glue lets go or not, but it is easy to cut with a pair of craft scissors and not glue necessary.  We do however, double the thickness.

jen

Reply to: #4681 by Green Tortuga
Jun 5, 2005 9:37am
Board

Until the past year, I mounted all of my stamps.  My father-in-law is a carpenter and his scrap 3/4" oak pieces made excellent stamp mounts.  I've tried several different adhesives but have found rubber cement to be the most permanent bond.  I've never had it let loose in 3 years, even on stamps that had been subjected to MI cold, heat and humidity.  The thing with rubber cement is doing it correctly & letting it "cure" before putting the pieces together.  If you do that, it bonds permanently immediately and isn't going anywhere, even when placed in a tub of water.

That being said, I haven't been mounting many stamps lately because I've been using much smaller containers and there is not room for a mounted stamp.  My stamps have gotten a little smaller over time also and I don't think it is as important to mount a smaller stamp.

As far as which gives a better impression -- I think that has more to do with the quality of the carving than whether the stamp is mounted or not.

SpringChick

Reply to: #4684 by The Wolf Family
Jun 5, 2005 10:26pm
Board

Of the few stamps I have mounted over the years, I've used a variety of materials.

First, I started with scrap material left over from a 100 year old home that we renovated over the past several years.  I used small scraps of picture railing and cherry wood scraps that were leftover and mounted tiny stamps to the flat areas of those pieces.  It worked well and certainly proved 'unconventional'--but I learned in time it wasn't necessary.

I've also used wooden paint stirrers cut down to size (carve rectangle/square stamps and you don't have to worry about 'excess' overlap).

Other times I mounted stamps to DIY 'formica countertop' sample chips from the home improvement stores (about 1"x2" in size).  Not because I was in to 'stealing'/'knicking' them from the store but only because I had them leftover from our kitchen and utility room renovations.  Again, I cut the carving material and the images to the exact size of the formica chip so I wouldn't have to trim the formica at all.  These stamps are still nicely adhered.  Definitely my 'unconventional' way of recycling.  ;)

I used either outdoor or household Goop glue in all instances.

Then--after all that 'devotion' to the hobby, I got lazy and haven't mounted a stamp in over 2-1/2 years.  Those stamps are also doing fine.  They easily 'flex' to stamp in logbooks with/without strong 'spines' or 'rigid covers'. 

I don't carve exceptionally large stamps as I find it difficult to find hiding spots for larger letterboxes.  I generally keep my LB stamps around 1"x2" and have only carved larger stamps for the many gatherings for which I created the 'event' stamps.  Now, those are more like 3"x5"-4"x6" range.  Again, I never mounted any of those either.  Totally due to laziness and too many other things going on in life (like intercepting iur kids' attempts to tear our house down) ...

dvn2r ckr

Reply to: #4673 by the domedreamers
Jun 18, 2005 7:33am
Board

I like to use (well, I don't know what it's called) this type of thick posterboard.  I got it from Hobby Lobby and it's a center of foam sandwhiched between 2 pieces of posterboard.  Tacky glue has worked well for me, but I don't know how the stamp will hold up when wet.

-CatGirl

Reply to: #4999 by CatGirl and 00
Jun 18, 2005 7:40am
Board
I've always called that "foamboard." I don't know if that its official name or not. I've seen the directions for mounting stamps on it, but I was worried about the wetness factor. Here in Florida, wetness happens . . . a lot!

I was gluing my stamps to blocks of wood, all sanded and varnished and with an image of the stamp on it. Looked great in the beginning, but I'm finding that the wetness tends to --not ruin them, but definitely lower the quality. The wood hasn't warped or anything, so the stamp still works, but the finish deteriorates, and the image vanishes after a year out in the wild. So I must ask myself why I'm putting all that work into it.

Now I'm trying just gluing the stamp to a thick piece of foam--the kind those doorknob hangers are made from. I'm hoping this will provide a little stability, so the stamp won't break, but it'll still have flexibility, so the image can be made even on someone's lap with a soft-cover logbook. Time will tell.

DebBee
Reply to: #5001 by DebBee
Jun 18, 2005 7:48am
Board

I'm hoping this will provide a little stability, so the stamp won't break, but it'll still have flexibility, so the image can be made even on someone's lap with a soft-cover logbook.

I just did a very thin one for a microbox and glued it to a piece of a gallon milk container (the heavy section near the handle that has some texture to it).  It's flexible and allows the stamp to remain thin for the box and give it some stability.  I'm waiting to see how well this will work.

Reply to: #4681 by Green Tortuga
Sep 24, 2014 8:21pm
Board
Where is the page about mounting stamps? It's MIA....
Reply to: #869951 by iSignASLily
Sep 25, 2014 3:51am
Board
Toolbox-Tutorials-Stamp Carving 101-Mounting the Stamp

http://www.atlasquest.com/tutorials/carving/mounting/
Reply to: #869951 by iSignASLily
Sep 26, 2014 10:52pm
Board
It might be easier to find by looking under "help" rather than clicking a link in a nine-year-old post. Very few things on the internet stay in the same place for nine years.

K
Reply to: #870256 by Kelsung
Sep 26, 2014 11:24pm
Board
Here you go under toolbox, tutorial stamp, carving 101. Welcome back~~