A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Mooky & Dipper make the Pepe site

Re: Mooky & Dipper make the Pepe site
Board: Region: Southeast
Reply to: #4550 by Mooky
May 31, 2005 4:26pm
Board
We got MA. RI. ,and CT. this weekend, making it 24 total state highpoints. Now we need to revisit some highpoints so we can continue our series.

What about the high points located in National Parks? Off the top of my head, I can think of at least five state highpoints that would be off limits.

-- Ryan, proud to have beaten you with a letterbox to the high point in Virginia. ;o)
Reply to: #4553 by Green Tortuga
May 31, 2005 4:58pm
Board

What about the high points located in National Parks? Off the top of my head, I can think of at least five state highpoints that would be off limits.

And unless they're very careful, the high point of NC won't keep a letterbox long. The rangers at Mt. Mitchell are most LB-unfriendly.

Knit Wit

Reply to: #4557 by knit wit
May 31, 2005 5:18pm
Board
Perhaps, a box could be placed at the Low Point (away from the ocean) just to get the point across in North Carolina.
Reply to: #4553 by Green Tortuga
May 31, 2005 5:56pm
Board

Why would a national park be "off limits"?

Virginia's highest point was absolutely beautiful.  Did you see any ponies?

Reply to: #4560 by speedsquare
May 31, 2005 5:59pm
Board
When it comes to "unfriendly" high points... We'll need to find the nearest friendly spots to plant LB's. We've already had to improvise with Rhode Island's privately owned highpoint.
Reply to: #4561 by Mooky
May 31, 2005 6:18pm
Board
Why would a national park be "off limits"?

The NPS isn't fond of letterboxes. *shrug*

Virginia's highest point was absolutely beautiful.  Did you see any ponies?

Absolutely! =) But you know, the actual highest point is rather anti-climatic. Just a bunch of trees around blocking the view....

-- Ryan
Reply to: #4562 by Mooky
May 31, 2005 6:25pm
Board

Yep, I was thinking that, too.  Texas and Washington's highest points are both NPS territory.  It'd definitely be interesting to try to plant those LBs--the one in WA would require year round crampons, ice picks and a can of deicer just to open the container once you're there.  ;)

dvn2r ckr

Reply to: #4564 by daelphinus
May 31, 2005 6:41pm
Board
Texas and Washington's highest points are both NPS territory.

So is California, Alaska, and Tennessee. I'm not sure about Colorado, but I have a hunch it might be too. And while Maine's is not in a national park, I'd be completely shocked if they allowed it! They take "leave no trace" more seriously than even national parks to, which I think is commendable.

National parks are bad about building services for visitors which attracts more visitors and damages the environment they want to protect. Baxter SP in Maine is the only place I've ever been where nature comes before people! No paved roads, no running water, no potable water for that matter--it's quite commendable in my book, but for that reason, I'd seriously doubt they'd allow letterboxing. In fact, I hope they don't! =) It's nice that there is a place where people are second class citizens to the environment.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #4561 by Mooky
May 31, 2005 6:48pm
Board
<> Those danged ponies ate my first aid kit when I was there. I have never forgotten this, and someday will have my revenge. ;-) DebBee