About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: 35mm Film Canisters

35mm Film Canisters
Board: Tools of the Trade
Mar 26, 2020 1:38pm
Board
Does anyone have a good source for 35mm film canisters? I'd like to buy a bunch, preferably with the lids that go over the edge of the canister, not with the lids that you press inside the canister.
Re: 35mm Film Canisters
Reply to: #984906 by nosox
Mar 26, 2020 2:43pm
Board
Check eBay. They have a ton. Keep scrolling. Different prices. Different offers, etc. I believe those lids are on the inside but they have all kinds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50PCS-35mm-Plastic-Film-Canister-with-Lids-Storage-Container-Empty-Bottle-Black/264654357045?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3d9ea10235:g:L6IAAOSwl-hdX6JF
Mar 26, 2020 6:33pm
Board
What are these...”film” canisters you speak of?
Reply to: #984913 by Dawgdok
Mar 27, 2020 5:56am
Board
atlasquest.com/boards/message/post.php?replyTo=984913&returnUrl=%2Fboards%2Fread.php%3FthreadId%3D143483%26startId%3D984906%23msg984913
Mar 27, 2020 6:17am
Board
Do film canisters work well for small stamps? What about pill bottles? I’d like to reduce, reuse, recycle, but no point in using recycled containers if they don’t work well.
Reply to: #984925 by detective
Mar 27, 2020 6:25am
Board
I love them for small stamps. They are inexpensive, and small, so they are easy to hide. I use them for single stamps that are part of a series. The container may not always be waterproof, but an unmounted stamp is certainly waterproof, and if it gets wet it can easily be wiped off before using. I would not use a film canister for a logbook, but I suppose it's certainly possible if the logbook were in a ziplock.
Reply to: #984925 by detective
Mar 27, 2020 7:10am
Board
I tried pill bottles.
I had them hanging on trees off the ground by at least five feet.
Moisture got in and ruined my stamps.
YMMV

I've found exterior snap lid film canister stamps in good condition.
Reply to: #984928 by Grrly Girl
Mar 27, 2020 9:11am
Board
Moisture got in and ruined my stamps.

How did moisture ruin your stamps? I've found a ton of wet stamps and they are always fine after you dry them off.
Mar 27, 2020 9:23am
Board
As a diabetic, I collect the little black containers that my testing strips come in. The lids snap tight and I tested them for leaks but they stay dry inside. They are about the same size as film containers, so I'd suggest hitting up all your diabetic friends...:-)
Reply to: #984937 by Gypsy Fiddler
Mar 27, 2020 10:08am
Board
the little black containers that my testing strips come in.

Those are more reliable than film canisters.

One other item of about that size is a waterproof match container:

https://www.sosproducts.com/product-p/54390.htm

However, if you get one of these, I recommend taking it to AutoZone or some similar auto parts store and replacing the rubber seal with a standard O-ring. The original rubber seal rots in about five minutes and falls off, and then your match container is decidedly not waterproof. A standard automotive O-ring will last much longer.
Reply to: #984933 by MissMoon
Mar 27, 2020 4:14pm
Board
carving medium wasn't good.
it was MasterCarve.
it masterfully disintegrated after two years of freeze/thaw cycles.
Reply to: #984961 by Grrly Girl
Mar 27, 2020 4:38pm
Board
it was MasterCarve.
it masterfully disintegrated after two years of freeze/thaw cycles.

Ahhhh. Thought it might be that.
Reply to: #984940 by Kirbert
Mar 27, 2020 8:09pm
Board
One other item of about that size is a waterproof match container:

https://www.sosproducts.com/product-p/54390.htm

However, if you get one of these, I recommend taking it to AutoZone or some similar auto parts store and replacing the rubber seal with a standard O-ring. The original rubber seal rots in about five minutes and falls off, and then your match container is decidedly not waterproof. A standard automotive O-ring will last much longer.

I endorse this post. I've got match containers that have been in the wild for years - no leaks. Diabetic strip containers too. Fantastic.

35mm film cans are next to worthless waterproof -wise. I don't use them anymore. Even if moisture won't hurt the stamp it can - and will - ruin the log book.