About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: PCT

PCT
Board: Camping, Backpacking, and the Great Outdoors
Mar 26, 2020 7:11am
Board
So, Ryan, as one who has hiked the PCT, what do you think about someone hiking it with an 8-mo. old baby. Some of your experiences seemed harrowing to me--I can't image doing it with a baby in tow. (I read about it on Yahoo news today).
Re: PCT
Reply to: #984882 by Topcollector
Mar 27, 2020 3:37pm
Board
what do you think about someone hiking it with an 8-mo. old baby.

I think it's pretty extreme, but good for them. Let the kid get enjoy some nature and fresh air at an early age. =)

Depending on the section of trail (like the Sierra Nevada in a heavy snow year), it might be better if they skip it. Just depends on the current conditions, experience of the people doing it and the support teams they have in place.

I definitely wouldn't sign up to do it with a kid that couldn't walk yet, though. It's hard enough already without carrying a baby and all their needs.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #984957 by Green Tortuga
Mar 27, 2020 11:43pm
Board
Packing in/packing out diapers. Ug. And if you're nursing, it would be really hard to consume adequate calories. Your whole backpack would be wet wipes! Not really. . .
Reply to: #984972 by Wry Me
Mar 28, 2020 1:20pm
Board
And if you're nursing, it would be really hard to consume adequate calories.

It's hard to do that if you are NOT nursing!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #984882 by Topcollector
Mar 28, 2020 3:07pm
Board
In one of the Barefoot Sister’s books, I think it’s the sobo one, they hike for a while with the “family from the north” who have a nursing babe in arms. It’s pretty scary, mainly because it’s winter. If you like AT books I’d recommend them both—they do a yoyo.