About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Paradox

Paradox
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Mar 25, 2020 6:00am
Board
Florida has closed all State Parks. Yet getting out in the fresh air is suggested. Yesterday we found two letterboxes by sneaking in. One we were able to access on a bike path which was "legal". But the other we snuck in around the closed gate.
Cabin fever is getting to us. Now I fear our state may make all over 65 to self quarantine for 2 weeks. If I am caught walking outside will I be made to show my ID?
Re: Paradox
Reply to: #984827 by KatieKat
Mar 25, 2020 6:15am
Board
Here in MA, all Mass Audubon properties are now closed, and a number of other open spaces have closed parking lots to limit the number of visitors. Thanks to letterboxing, though, I know of a lot of places to hike that aren't well-known.
Mar 25, 2020 6:19am
Board
Because there are so many people on the trails around Salt Lake City the city is threatening to close the trails unless people maintain "social distancing".
Mar 25, 2020 6:32am
Board
I am putting together a nice drive for driveby boxes. With wildflowers now in bloom in Texas it will make for a nice outing. Where possible I’ll hike a bit.
Reply to: #984829 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 25, 2020 6:54am
Board
Several towns in Connecticut have had to close their trails due to groups of people hiking together. I work for a town as the Natural Resource Manager and I've spent a lot of my time lately imploring people to follow the social distancing guidelines so that our trails stay open. There are a couple trail spots where everyone in town goes because they are familiar with that one big trail and just don't know the other trails, so I've been posting maps to other locations and asking people to go to those spots instead.

And I created an "Out and About Challenge" where participants go to a series of our lesser-used locations, take a photo of an avatar they choose for themselves, and when they complete all ten in a series, they email the photos to us for a reward. There are 30 sites in all. I still need to write up directions to those sites, and I have to say my extensive experience reading and writing letterboxing clues is a huge help in that regard.
Reply to: #984832 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 25, 2020 7:36am
Board
Trailhead Tessie, You are doing a great public service. The avatar challenge sounds like great fun. Bicycle Dave and I have gone walking in our local city parks, and we rarely see anyone else. The bike trails are very busy, as are the golf courses. Not a golfer, but driving by I did notice the golfers are standing close together.
It is truly a shame that the few who are ignoring the precautions are causing officials to close public venues, spoiling it for the rest of us.
Mar 25, 2020 7:38am
Board
Now I fear our state may make all over 65 to self quarantine for 2 weeks. If I am caught walking outside will I be made to show my ID?

Have the officials in Florida mentioned this at all?

You'd probably get a good answer by contacting them directly.
Reply to: #984834 by KatieKat
Mar 25, 2020 7:45am
Board
Not a golfer, but driving by I did notice the golfers are standing close together.

That’s probably why our three courses were closed two weeks ago. When it first happened we had no idea why but now we are thankful they did that.
Mar 25, 2020 7:48am
Board
I fear our state may make all over 65 to self quarantine for 2 weeks.

I haven't heard of anyone talking about quarantining older people for 2 weeks, and while these are extraordinary times, it seems unlikely. Talk about discriminatory! And how will all of them get their groceries? Why is it okay for everyone under 65 to go around and infect everyone? According to the statistics I see, half the people (maybe slightly more?) who end up in the hospital are younger people and seem to be much more reckless (as a whole) than older people.

No, I really can't imagine quarantines being applied strictly based on age. It's too discriminatory and won't fix anything. Keep in mind, older people are also much more likely to vote. I don't think politicians will want to do anything to piss off the older generation.

But... I could be wrong. *shrug* If you told me that everyone would be hoarding toilet paper when there wasn't even a real shortage a month ago, I'd have laughed at you! Logic does not always seem to apply in these times.

-- Ryan
Reply to: #984828 by Rocklun
Mar 25, 2020 7:52am
Board
I know of a lot of places to hike that aren't well-known.

There are a lot of trails here in Westchester that people never go on.

It seems like cemetery boxing is a socially distancing way to box. You're in your car and in cemeteries that are probably empty except for you looking for the box. You can also get exercise by walking around.
Reply to: #984835 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2020 7:54am
Board
On the news last night the surgeon General was making the proposal, but so far it has not been enacted. Our governor says many counties in Fl. have no cases as yet. My county has had a few.
Reply to: #984841 by KatieKat
Mar 25, 2020 8:02am
Board
On the news last night the surgeon General was making the proposal, but so far it has not been enacted.

Are you talking about quarantine or social isolating? There's a big difference. Quarantine means don't leave the house. Social isolation means only going out for essentials and keeping the 6 foot distance when out.
Reply to: #984844 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2020 9:31am
Board
I admit I am confused. It seems literally hour by hour, state by state, county by county there are new directives. I try to stay up to date, and try to practice social distancing, etc.
Reply to: #984847 by KatieKat
Mar 25, 2020 9:52am
Board
Agreed. Having a hard time with Florida's new regulations. I'm trying to get out your way this week, and just hoping that we don't all of a sudden get forced to stay home. Orange County already has some sort of curfew in place, but not sure if it's all day or just from 11pm to 6am.

BB
Reply to: #984829 by Oberon_Kenobi
Mar 25, 2020 9:57am
Board
Our local Mountain Bike club that maintains the two bike/hike trails in our county, have closed both trails until this is all over. They are afraid that everyone from the neighboring areas will congregate here.
:(
Mar 25, 2020 10:03am
Board
If I am caught walking outside will I be made to show my ID?

I don’t think that it can be enforceable to make anyone stay inside/ not congregate right now.

I’ve heard from my police friends that many are calling 911 because so and so left the house, or so and so is at a restaurant with his girl friend and his family.
There is nothing that the police can do about it.

The county is now “shelter in place” as of last night, so I hope to hear how they are going to be dealing with that. They were not sure what that means for them, and how to handle the “he left the house!” Calls.
Reply to: #984840 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2020 11:23am
Board
It seems like cemetery boxing is a socially distancing way to box.

It's easier to remember "6 feet" when you're there.
Reply to: #984856 by Trailhead Tessie
Mar 25, 2020 1:18pm
Board
It's easier to remember "6 feet" when you're there.

And if you don't remember, you get the permanent 6 foot social distancing yourself
Reply to: #984840 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2020 7:28pm
Board
It seems like cemetery boxing is a socially distancing way to box. You're in your car and in cemeteries that are probably empty except for you looking for the box.

Then where did they put all the bodies?
Reply to: #984851 by Bungalow Boxer
Mar 26, 2020 10:24am
Board
Florida's rules are all either county by county and even city by city. I live in a county with a curfew, but work in one with out (counties vary in Florida on how the mayor of the county can issue encompassing rules) as well as work in a city on a barrier island where you can't get on unless you either live, work, or study on it. Plus, I live in the county, not a city, so all around me are cities with stricter rules than the county has right now. It is a lot to keep up with.

I just to get back to some sense of Florida normalcy, where Florida Man isn't spreading the Rona and we can leash walk our pet alligators without being quaranshamed. More importantly, I want to not have to worry about my mother, thankfully neither of us is exposed to the public too much right now even though we're both reporting for work, but still, we've had to go to Publix and Petsmart and a vet two counties over (I'll go post THAT story on an off topic board).
Reply to: #984895 by DM Scuba Brat
Mar 26, 2020 10:43am
Board
we can leash walk our pet alligators without being quaranshamed

Hate it when that happens.