About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Hitchhikers

Hitchhikers
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Mar 24, 2020 3:41pm
Board
Just carved some HHs with the same theme. Should I list them individually or as a series? hmmm, what to do, what to do!!!! Anyone have an opinion????
Re: Hitchhikers
Reply to: #984807 by OffCourse29
Mar 24, 2020 3:58pm
Board
Series
Mar 24, 2020 3:58pm
Board
Just carved some HHs with the same theme. Should I list them individually or as a series?

By AQ's definition a group of related HHs is not a series. According to AQ a series is a group of related boxes that one can expect to be able to find in one outing. As soon as you release HHs they are going to scatter to the four winds.
Reply to: #984810 by PI Joe
Mar 24, 2020 4:09pm
Board
While I agree with that definition for traditional boxes... I don't for HH's. Most are not logged when found because people have no idea how to find them... If I have a bunch that are related - I group them together so folks can find them for logging purposes only.

That's my opinion... everyone has one... Ryan will certainly disagree with mine :)
Mar 24, 2020 4:30pm
Board
I tend to list them as a series. Just personal preference. :)
Mar 24, 2020 6:18pm
Board
If I have a group of HHs that belong under the same topic, I list them as a series. For me it is fun to see how they have spread out on one post. That is just my opinion.. and I can check on an HH series that friends have sent to me to release here in Illinois.
Mar 25, 2020 7:50am
Board
Thanks to all for your opinions on HHs. I will list them as a series. NOW, since I’ve never done this with HHs, do I add them as reserved until each is planted or activate them now??
Reply to: #984839 by OffCourse29
Mar 25, 2020 7:57am
Board
You should never list any box as active before it's planted. Same goes for HHs.
Reply to: #984810 by PI Joe
Mar 25, 2020 8:30am
Board
By that logic alone, no HHs could ever be a series, cuz they would never be together, so AQ would not give you the option of making the HH type into a series. But it does, so you can.

K
Reversed status vs Active was Re: Hitchhikers
Reply to: #984839 by OffCourse29
Mar 25, 2020 8:32am
Board
Yes, please use Reserved until you're ready to actually have people looking.
Reserved gets you a box number and allows editing until it's ready to go.

I use Reserved and ask my clue checker to be sure things read correctly and any ambiguity is as intended.
Reply to: #984843 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2020 1:03pm
Board
i have never understood the purpose of a reserved listing. if a box isn't planted it isn't planted. if it is planted then list the dang thing! i can understand large gatherings not wanting finders before the event and having a ton of boxes to list. But for that single box you just planted.....what is the point?
smile
Reply to: #984845 by Kelsung
Mar 25, 2020 1:09pm
Board
You are correct and I had not thought it all the way thru before posting earlier. I'm glad the question came up and has been discussed so we all know better now.
Reply to: #984857 by uneksia
Mar 25, 2020 1:30pm
Board
i have never understood the purpose of a reserved listing.

I actually don't get it either. But I guess if it keeps people from listing a box before it's planted???......:::::shrug:::: I'd rather see them reserving than jumping the gun on listing it.

It's not like people have to reserve a place or they won't be able to plant it. lol "Save my place!" lol

Lots of people list their single box as active before it's planted. There's just no reason to do that.

Plant it ..........*then* list it. What's the big deal? lol I hate doing a search and seeing an interesting box, clicking on the clues and seeing......this will be planted in two weeks or whenever. Then don't list the freaking thing yet.
Reply to: #984860 by MissMoon
Mar 25, 2020 1:40pm
Board
i have never understood the purpose of a reserved listing.

It is so you can know before planting what the box number is. Many people put the box number in the logbook, making it VERY easy to find/log the listing on AQ. By "reserving" the box, the planter gets that number ahead of time, so they can include it.
Reply to: #984862 by wassamatta u
Mar 25, 2020 1:55pm
Board
Well, like I said I really don’t see the need. Still don’t. But it’s no biggie.

Now if you just stop people from actually listing the box as active before they plant it......
Reply to: #984857 by uneksia
Mar 25, 2020 4:36pm
Board
I like to reserve my boxes so

1) I get a box number to put on my logbook
2) I can re-work and fine tune my clues before I actually plant the box

By reserving a box, I get a "work in progress" area on AQ, a place to put down my thoughts. Sometimes I have an idea for a box (perhaps a series), maybe even names for each box, but no location yet. Or perhaps a location, even directions or clues, but haven't decided on the carves yet. Sometimes it takes me half a year, from first thought to planting of one of my boxes.

When we go to plant a box, I print out the clues, and we use it as our final trial run, noting any last minute things, clarifying, re-wording, etc. When we return home, I make those final changes, and "activate" the box.
Reply to: #984866 by JampersandJ
Mar 25, 2020 7:00pm
Board
I like to reserve my boxes so

1) I get a box number to put on my logbook
2) I can re-work and fine tune my clues before I actually plant the box

I agree with everything JampersandJ just wrote. I almost always do reserved listings for boxes I plant because it's so handy to have all my notes and ideas in one place.

Here's another benefit of reserved listings--recently I was sent 18 stamps to plant by a very prolific boxer. I split them into three six-box series, and one of the first things I did was the reserved listings. That way the title of each series is set, the box names are entered, the carvers for each stamp are listed, the synopsis is done, etc. Then when I get each series planted it makes it that much easier to just have to do the clues instead of all the details before activating the listing.
Reply to: #984866 by JampersandJ
Mar 26, 2020 5:47am
Board
I can re-work and fine tune my clues before I actually plant the box

I have the opposite problem. I’m still working on the clue. I planted the box last October.

K
Reply to: #984879 by Kelsung
Mar 26, 2020 9:15am
Board
I have the opposite problem. I’m still working on the clue. I planted the box last October.

Poor little box! It's clueless.