A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: LTC question

Re: LTC question
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #983460 by Damselfly
Feb 14, 2020 8:12am
Board
Confession time- I have an obsession with my ink pads in that every time I buy one, I HAVE to buy a re-inker for it. If it doesn't have one available, then I just don't buy it. It really extends the life of the pads, and also keeps you going through a project. Distress Ink Pads can be "refreshed" with a spray that Ranger sells as well. Also, you can use ink from the re-inkers if you want to paint on any of your projects or if you want to create a background paper. 😊
Reply to: #983462 by LROSEM
Feb 14, 2020 3:25pm
Board
No I do not. Just a spray I borrowed to try out... clearly I need to buy a reinker. Sounds like the right product. Thanks everyone all the positive feedback. Super helpful:)
Reply to: #983472 by Damselfly
Feb 15, 2020 4:20am
Board
Bring your ink pad over to house today. Now that I'm thinking about the question and what you need, I may have a large bottle of black ink in the craft closet that might work.

Question: Does it matter if the brands match or the age of the re-filler bottle?

How often should you need to refill a pad once you start doing it? Can you refill markers as well?
Reply to: #983477 by Tri-Colored Paws
Feb 15, 2020 4:24am
Board
Will do. Thanks! 😁
Feb 15, 2020 4:26am
Board
I use the refill brand that matches the ink pad because the inks are different. Some are thicker than others. Maybe the type of ink in the original question is part of the problem. Versafine is one of the best inks - pads last a long time, and refill bottles are available from Stampeaz. The extra cost is totally worth it!
Feb 15, 2020 6:43am
Board
How often should you need to refill a pad once you start doing it?

That depends on how much stamping you're doing, how long you leave the pad open/uncovered while you work, etc. As soon as you see that the stamped image seems less than crisply saturated, add some ink to the pad. And yes, match the refill to the brand and type of ink for best results.

Can you refill markers as well?

Copic markers are refillable, and that is by far, the most economical way to go if you color with them regularly.
Reply to: #983482 by Wise Wanderer
Feb 15, 2020 6:47am
Board
How about Marvy markers or Tombow? Can you refill those and how do you do that?
Feb 15, 2020 7:20am
Board
I prefer to re-ink as needed. Different stamps require differing amounts of ink due to how much uncarved surface there is on the image.

I find trying to load the pad up too much causes my stamped image to be less crisp. I would prefer to ink up a little at a time throughout the run if needed.
Reply to: #983483 by Damselfly
Feb 15, 2020 7:50am
Board

I have some rarely used Marvy markers in my backpack for that occasional stamp in the wild that needs multiple colors. They have not dried out on me yet, and I don't use them often enough to use up the ink, so I have no idea if they are refillable. Haven't used Tombow at all.
Reply to: #983483 by Damselfly
Feb 15, 2020 8:04pm
Board

Someone (Deniserows?) once told me that she pulls the "cap" off the back of her markers when they have dried out and added a few drops of water. I have not tried it myself yet as my markers have "tips" at both ends.
Reply to: #983499 by PI Joe
Feb 15, 2020 10:14pm
Board
Interesting. Thanks for the tip.
We use markers a lot while “Seeking” boxes, so if we can find a way to keep them longer that would be nice.
Reply to: #983499 by PI Joe
Feb 15, 2020 10:35pm
Board
ers when they have dried out and added a few drops of water. I have not tried it myself yet as my markers have "tips" at both ends.

I have been doing this for years. Still using the same set of markers because of it. I have double ended Marvy. I use a small pair of pliers to remove the black plastic cap on the small end and take the cover off the large end then have the water going at a very slow drip and drip in about three or four drops from the sink, basically enough to allow color to come out the big end. Then I put the lids back on leave them sitting big tip down in a cup for a while to let the water soak through and continue using them. They are at least 10 years old now
Reply to: #983500 by Damselfly
Feb 16, 2020 4:20am
Board
If you store your markers tip down (And ink pads upside down) that also helps extend the life, I believe.
Reply to: #983504 by Mama Stork
Feb 16, 2020 4:39am
Board
If you store your markers tip down (And ink pads upside down) that also helps extend the life

I agree but when you use them constantly, they run out steam. I notice the cold weather bothers them as well. Come on spring!
Reply to: #983510 by Tri-Colored Paws
Feb 16, 2020 2:16pm
Board
I notice the cold weather bothers them as well.

If I'm boxing in cold weather, I'll keep my ink pad and markers in my jacket's inside breast pocket. Body heat keeps them a little warmer.