About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Schitt's Creek

Schitt's Creek
Board: Television: After the Show Ends
Nov 6, 2019 10:23pm
Board
Last week I was told that I remind a few coworkers of Moira, of Schitt's Creek. I have seen the advertisement on Netflix but did not think much of it. One of them showed me a video dubbed "the best of Moira" and we laughed, so I was intrigued.

I am now on the fifth season, having binged watched this show.

The premise is as followed:

The Rose family household gets raided by the FBI as they are told that their money manager not only failed to pay their income taxes but that he absconded with their 500 Million dollar bank account. They are given a few meager minutes to collect their personal belongings and as they are deciding their options, the FBI agent reminds them that Johnny Rose, the dad, played very well by Eugene Levy, bought a town called Schitt's Creek. Johnny bought the town as a prank gift for his son David years prior.

So off the Rose family goes to Schitt's Creek . . . which is a small town, with a grungy hotel. Thanks to Roland Schitt, the town mayor, they are given lodging there and there, whereas the Roses who were used to jetting off at the spur of the moment, struggle with their new lives.

As previously mentioned, there is Moira Rose, who is very self involved and actively chooses to disengage in any not important to her or unpleasant. She is also obnoxious in asserting herself, especially when not even asked. She is played by Catherine O'Hara.

David Rose, the son, is struggling to find himself, as he quickly learns that he is lacking skills he never had to learn because being rich meant he never had to learn. He is also shallow and pretentious but he becomes immediate friends with the clerk of the hotel, Stevie, played very well by Emily Hampshire. Stevie helps us see that David, though shallow, has great depth. David is Dan Levy, Eugene's son in real life and you can see that they are in fact related.

Stevie, our strange little clerk, is lonely and a bit of a recluse but thanks to David, she not only gets accepted by the Rose family but she finds herself in interesting scenarios. And she is a bit of a "goader", as she is very perceptive and likes to trigger people. But she is also fun loving. And there are some great awkward moments between Stevie and David, especially when they learn they are dating the guy.

The fourth Rose family member is Alexis. She is kinda the ignored one. But despite her obviously spoiled life, she has great compassion and is very good at making the best out of a bad situation, even for other people.

Then there are the extremely tolerant, average town's people who put up with this formerly rich, but still currently pretentious family.

Having said more than enough, on to my Kitty Paws:

One Kitty Paw for it's characters. This is a character driven show, and it's easy to dismiss newly poor formerly rich people, but watching them, they are pretty funny. But you have to actually watch and hear them.
So, also One Kitty Paw for it's comedy. More on that later.
One Kitty Paw for it's surprising deepness. Moira excluded, every family member evolves very well and begins bringing actual meaning to other people. My favorite moment for Johnny is the season finale for Season 2.
One Kitty Paw for it's supportive cast. My favs are Jocelyn, Ronnie and Patrick. But not Bob. Not a fan of Bob, like, at all. He annoys the crap out of me. It's a like a trigger, really.

Moving on.

My one complaint is that each episode is about 21 to 25 minutes and they kinda start down a path of a story line but they don't really follow it up. And it's because you like the characters, you want to see that path for them.

But I struggle taking a Kitty Paw point away for this.

Thanks to this conversation, several people in my department are now watching this show. And trust me, at 4 Kitty Paws, there are some very good reasons why.

A bit of caution. While there is no actual adult related scenes, there are references, and background indications of adult related scenes. However, there is swearing- as in the "f" word. Not a lot. And as the show progresses, they use it a bit more. Not too much though.

Currently there are 5 seasons, with a 6th season pending release. I not looking for to seeing this final season but I understand. Nothing good lasts forever.

However, from the moment you see Alexis and David throwing their luggage back and forth on each other's beds, declaring:

David: "Well, I am taking this bed because I am not getting killed first."
Alexis: "No, I am not getting killed first."
David: "No, you get killed first."
Alexis: "No, David. This time, you get killed first."

as they struggle with having to live in a dingy hotel, I promise, you will laugh, smile and shake your head in disbelief at them.

csk
Re: Schitt's Creek
Reply to: #980898 by Captain Slick Kitty
Nov 7, 2019 4:43am
Board
Oh, and Moira with her wigs!

...and David with his black and white.

...and Chris Elliot with his mullet.

...and...and...and....
Nov 7, 2019 8:44am
Board
Catherine OHara is Amazing! I was introducing my sister to the series so was rewatching season one. We were laughing so much. Love the episode where she does the wine commercial. And isn’t it the “bad parents” episode when no one knows Alexis’ middle name? Moira keeps suggesting different names. So many funny bits in this series. And Stevie is awesome!!! You also know that the waitress at the diner. I forgot her name at the Moment. She is a Levy also Daniels sister, Eugenes Daughter.

Ananda from Seattle
Reply to: #980916 by Amanda from Seattle
Nov 7, 2019 9:32am
Board
Yes! Correct! Twilla, the waitress at the cafe is Eugene Levy's daughter and she looks like her dad. She has a small role as a town's person. And there is a Fred Levy, who I think produces the show. So, it's a family affair.
Nov 9, 2019 12:30pm
Board
The first two minutes of season 3, episode 1 are, by far, my favorite. David being caught having a 'guest' "Nobody was supposed to be home. NOBODY WAS SUPPOSED TO BE HOME!" and David to Alexis as she was eyeing up David's guest "Step outside and let him change. You're like a predator."

We found this show about two years ago and have practically wet ourselves over some of the lines. Season 5, episode 10 when Moira and Johnny accidentally hit a cat while driving and have to tell the owners. While sitting in their living room, she turns around and whispers to Johnny, "How far do you think we'd get if we just started running?" Given her choice of absurd footwear? We were dying!!!
Reply to: #980971 by thndrkttn
Nov 9, 2019 12:57pm
Board
Haven't gotten to that episode yet . . . lol!

But speaking of Johnny and Moira, as I have been for the last week and half, aka Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara are no strangers to character driven projects. In fact, one of my favorite character driven movies is Best in Show, which Eugene and Catherine play a married couple who are the complete opposites of Johnny and Moira. In fact, they are nothing like them. Eugene plays nerdy, homebody guy with two left feet, literally, while Catherine is now a tamed, but once floosey, house wife. And everywhere they go, they would run into someone Catherine's character had an encounter with in some seedy or odd place. Catherine does get a bit Moira at the end of the movie with her cd for Terriers "Bow-wow" song, but I digress.

Best in Show is shot documentary style, following the pet owners of the dogs who are participating in a dog show. It's low key, but all character driven and if that is something you can appreciate, then I do highly recommend it.

To this day, I will quote this movie, like "get the buzzie bee!" or "we both love soup."

In fact this clip is actually used in Adult Protective Services training to kinda lighten the mood while underlining a point in the real world, though it's funny in the movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8PnRM-m7Dg

csk
Reply to: #980972 by Captain Slick Kitty
Nov 9, 2019 8:03pm
Board
Best in Show, the Bloodhound guy from Pine Nut, NC....LOVE it...."Pea nut, Hazel nut, cashew nut, macadamia nut!"
"Pistachio nut, red pistachio nut....natural white pistachio nut"

https://youtu.be/xf-oitGkGEw

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #980971 by thndrkttn
Nov 9, 2019 8:08pm
Board
This might be my favorite ---

https://youtu.be/jVojhvifruk

"This Wine Is Awful Get Me Another Glass"

all Moira

-Amanda from Seattle
Reply to: #980982 by Amanda from Seattle
Nov 11, 2019 10:08am
Board
"If you say fold in the cheese one more time..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NywzrUJnmTo Bahahaha!

And here's the one that I was referring to earlier when "nobody was supposed to be home"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUfwDjvXv4o