Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit

Read Thread: Boxing on my birthday or....

Boxing on my birthday or....
Board: Yakking It Up
Oct 16, 2019 12:29pm
Board
a tale of how I am a sucker.

So my 27th (again) birthday was on the 8th. Mom and I both took the day off in anticipation of doing something fun. It decided to rain instead. By the mid morning it cleared up enough that we were willing to run out to try finding some boxes in a local park (Tribute to Amelia Earhart if you're wondering). So we head out in sneakers, since flip flops would have been moist. I should have worn Wellies. That park floods and bad. Did not dissuade me from my boxes, as tough as they were to find, they were all there, I have the red ant bites to prove it.

After lunch we decided to head east to the Miami Cemetery, as there are 7ish new boxes and new boxes are a rarity in Miami. We get out there and turn into the cemetery, as it has a drive up the middle of it. I'm looking for a confederate flag, as that is mentioned in the first clue, but do I see stars and bars? NOPE. As we're pulling up around the Tuttle grave (in a round about) I look to the Belcher tomb and there is something small and white behind a column. Something moving.

I jumped out of our Wrangler and yelled to Mom "BUNNY!"

There was a small white and grey rabbit sitting on the tomb, damp from the day's weather. It wasn't too scared of me but wouldn't let me pick it up. Now, I know marsh rabbits are native to Florida and belong in our ecosystem to serve a purpose, and I love seeing them at my job, but this was no native bun. This rabbit was probably dumped or escaped being a sacrifice, as there are folks who practice this sort of thing down here. Well, 20 minutes of chasing this bun around the tomb we finally got him cornered between an above ground crypt, a headstone, and a plant. Mom scooped him up and we carried him to the car, all while I was talking to a rescue up two counties north, trying to get advice on catching him, going "no, we don't have an x pen, or a carrier, or bunny approved food! we came to the cemetery to, uh, visit family!" "well, it's going to be hard to catch a rabbit without a bribe for him to come to you," "GOT HIM!"

We sent some pictures of him up to the rescue, discovered he most likely has a touch of mange on his nose, so I called my vet to get some kitten Revolution for him (one tube, and now I'm trying to find more to retreat). Checked his bottom, determined he's a he, and borrowed a crate from my mother's boss to put him in, as now he must be in quarantine away from my other rabbit, Alice and my dog.

It is now a week and a day later, Mr. Bones is looking better, eating hat and pellets, learning how to use a litter box, has an appointment for getting neutered, and hopefully I can get some more Revolution Monday when our dog goes in for her yearly vet visit. I have since learned he is Vienna marked, as he has blue eyes. He must have a blue eyed white rabbit in his history somewhere.

So, I'm pretty much a sucker. Went boxing, ended up with a second rabbit instead, since I can not, in good faith, leave an abandoned bunny alone to fend for itself. Figured I'd share how letterboxing has brought me a new pet (and yes Alice, too, is a rescue, I found her behind my car one evening about two years ago).
Re: Boxing on my birthday or....
Reply to: #980359 by DM Scuba Brat
Oct 16, 2019 12:43pm
Board
Great name for your Bunny!
Reply to: #980360 by BinoBoxer
Oct 16, 2019 2:35pm
Board
When we type it out it has the femur bone emoji with it.like this Mr. Bones 🦴, If emoji work on the board.
Reply to: #980364 by DM Scuba Brat
Oct 16, 2019 9:36pm
Board
Oh, please, let this space remain emoji-free, (with all due respect to Mr. Bones, which I bet is super cute.)

anna one anna two anna. . . eggplant eggplant eggplant heart heart winky

all I want for Christmas is the smite button back.
Oct 16, 2019 10:26pm
Board
I am going boxing for my birthday in 2 weeks (only it's my BIG birthday...40!)
Maybe I can get as lucky as you did & bring home another bunny to join our 2.
Congrats on the bunny & the finds. Oh & happy birthday!
Reply to: #980386 by Mama Dee
Oct 18, 2019 11:26am
Board
What sort of buns do you have? My other rabbit, Alice is a Hotot who has black ears and the spine markings, but I have no idea what Mr. Bones is, he's mostly white, blue eyes, and grey splotches all over, but maybe 2lbs. He makes Alice look like a chungus at 5lbs!
Reply to: #980434 by DM Scuba Brat
Oct 18, 2019 4:32pm
Board
This opening question was full of promises but they turned into rabbits!
Reply to: #980450 by BEBO BEAR
Oct 19, 2019 2:10am
Board
This opening question was full of promises but they turned into rabbits!

There's just one explanation: Infinite Improbability Drive.
And it could have been a whale and petunias.
Reply to: #980464 by Grrly Girl
Oct 19, 2019 9:26am
Board
There's just one explanation: Infinite Improbability Drive.
And it could have been a whale and petunias.

"Oh no! Not again!"
Reply to: #980471 by Snark
Oct 19, 2019 12:52pm
Board
42!

KuKu
Reply to: #980464 by Grrly Girl
Oct 19, 2019 6:14pm
Board
It’s the petunias that will get you.....
Reply to: #980434 by DM Scuba Brat
Oct 19, 2019 7:25pm
Board
Both of ours are supposed to be checkered giants (however I don't think they are pure bred...weigh about 5-6 lbs each). They are both dark eyed, have colored ears & body is white with spine markings & spots (one has black markings & the other has light brown markings).

But you hit the jackpot with boxing & bunnies!
Reply to: #980471 by Snark
Oct 21, 2019 10:28am
Board
"Oh no! Not again!"

How will I operate by digital watch?
Reply to: #980501 by Wry Me
Oct 21, 2019 11:42am
Board
Don't worry.
Hactar and the white killer robots of Krikkit will "guide" you.
Oct 24, 2019 8:48am
Board
The poor bunny! I'm glad you were able to give it a new home. I love your story!
Reply to: #980537 by Knits
Oct 25, 2019 7:11am
Board
Poor bunny is certainly licking his wounds today. Mr. Bones was neutered on Wednesday. After paying for it, guess he is mine for sure now!