About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: box stamp versus travel stamp

box stamp versus travel stamp
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Sep 9, 2019 5:35pm
Board
Hi - I'm brand new to letterboxing and wondering if we take our own stamp with us on searches, then do we choose a different stamp to put in our own box if we decide to actually place a letterbox somewhere?

thanks!
Re: box stamp versus travel stamp
Reply to: #979323 by ca29
Sep 9, 2019 6:17pm
Board
If you hover your cursor over the word "Home" you will see links to extensive information and help on how to letterbox, FAQ, how to, glossay, etc. There is a lot of information to be had at these links. Also hover your cursor over "Toolbox" and see the Tutorial link there.

Each person has a personal stamp representing them. It is their "trailstamp". :::That stays with them:::. The image is inked into the logbook of the letterboxes you find.

When you decide to plant a letterbox you will then carve (or buy) a stamp that goes into the letterbox you plant. It will represent the subject matter or location , etc of your letterbox.

Please read the help sections and tutorials here on AQ. Most of your question will be answered there.

You should go letterboxing, find some, and see how others are planted, how clues are written, etc before planting yourself.

Please rehide the boxes well so they cannot be seen.

Welcome to letterboxing!
Sep 9, 2019 8:14pm
Board
Go to an event and learn the ropes that way. Most fun way, for sure.
Sep 10, 2019 5:39am
Board
Welcome! Hope you enjoy letterboxing as much as I do. It’s a great way to get a souvenir if your travels, even traveling for work or kid soccer games! I’ve visited lots of neat spots I’d have never seen if there wasn’t a letterbox there.

It’s exciting to plant a box but I agree with others that you would benefit from finding a bunch first. You’ll see the ways they are hidden, what kinds of spaces are too obvious and should be avoided, different types of boxes and pouches and how durable they are, etc. For example, I donated a stamp to a casual boxer who has left the hobby. From the comments of its finders, it sounds like it was hidden in a garden behind a tree under some palm fronds in a public park. Needless to say, the groundskeepers got it within a month. Also avoid places that invite investigation from “muggles” - interesting clefts in rocks, hollows in trees facing the trail, etc. If it catches the eye someone will look inside! Also, label your box do the geocachers don’t take your stamp and so that well-meaning muggles know to leave the box alone.

Have fun!!!!