A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Code of conduct

Re: Code of conduct & Brownie Scouts
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #979345 by Grrly Girl
Sep 13, 2019 6:35am
Board
As a Lifetime Girl Scout, previous Brownie leader, avid letterboxer and facilitator who teachs a letterboxing class to adults and girls - I can tell you that the badge requirements are such that the girls are to create their own stamp not purchase one. Perhaps 1. the folks on Etsy should not market these items and 2. troop leaders should know better than to buy them.
Reply to: #979361 by Wry Me
Sep 13, 2019 6:38am
Board
When I teach this to adults, I suggest 1 troop stamp instead of 12 individual stamps. My troop had 1 troop stamp!

It's an education issue.
Reply to: #979345 by Grrly Girl
Sep 13, 2019 7:03am
Board
Apparently I need to set up an etsy shop and start selling these!
Reply to: #979411 by NLW
Sep 13, 2019 8:46am
Board
When I teach Girl Scouts, I always have them make their own stamps (woodblock and foam) and encourage exchanges. And I do suggest to leaders they have a single troop stamp for boxing in the wild. At camp I let them all stamp in and limit the number of boxes with logbooks (one per series), but at the camps I keep up a pretty good maintenance schedule! I also put ink in all the boxes at camp (letting them know this is not typical in the wild) - I think it prevents more problems that way, but again only because I do regular maintenance (and buy ink pads by the gross/case).

LL
Reply to: #979410 by NLW
Sep 13, 2019 8:47am
Board
I’ve been shopping on Etsy for years and it’s not like it used to be. It’s gotten much bigger with I think different owners than the original people. Many shop owners are unhappy and many have left. You see items that clearly have copyright issues and unless a shop gets reported Etsy allows it to continue selling. They allow sales of lots of stuff that should not be listed and a ton of stuff that is clearly not handmade or original.
Reply to: #979366 by photopam
Sep 13, 2019 11:20am
Board
Haven't been in Girl Scouts in maybe 10 years or more. I had been enrolled in GS for 34 years. I stopped volunteering as a trainer just after the new journeys program started... but I did help teach a mini event for the service unit we are in about letterboxing. Code of conduct was 1st. It went well and we short term planted boxes for them to find. One of the PIA mom's got mad at the Service Unit Manager (my kid) and told the council that we were teaching kids to sneak and hide things from the community. Oh and lie too. She ended up being a campfire leader...LOL
Reply to: #979412 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Sep 13, 2019 2:23pm
Board
Seems to me that letterboxers other than Brownie Scouts might be interested. It looks like a good package for any letterboxer who's put off by carving, painting, etc., and just wants to try planting.