About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Hocking Hills

Hocking Hills
Board: State: Michigan
Sep 7, 2019 5:38pm
Board
Hi All! My Hubby and I are planning a trip to Hocking hills a week from now. Any "must find" boxes? Any other advice/suggestions/must see or do's welcomed. :)
Re: Hocking Hills
Reply to: #979247 by Perfect Pair
Sep 7, 2019 6:01pm
Board
Good for you! I was there in March, 2016 and I just loved the hiking and the scenery. If I were you, I'd look for anything carved by Safari Man.

Another of my favorites was Off Trail by Pioneer Spirit. It was a great hike. I see I'm the last recorded finder, but I doubt that many people have looked for it.

Do you have a place to stay? Also, I remember when we went we had lunch in the lodge the day we got there, and it was good. We were there off-season, so it wasn't open the rest of the time, but I'd recommend it as a convenient, decent place to eat.
Reply to: #979248 by Dawnkey
Sep 7, 2019 8:16pm
Board
It’s been a few years for us too. I remember there were LbNA boxes that we found so check both sites.
Reply to: #979248 by Dawnkey
Sep 7, 2019 9:51pm
Board
The lodge had a fire & has been torn down! Re-build is scheduled for next year but there is a new visitors center & an astronomy park which is neat.
Reply to: #979250 by R gang
Sep 8, 2019 4:02am
Board
The lodge had a fire & has been torn down!

Oh my goodness, I had no idea!
Reply to: #979256 by Dawnkey
Sep 8, 2019 7:09am
Board
they were putting on a new roof-you can imagine the size of that job-when smoke was spotted coming from the roof area.by the time it was done & over with the whole top section had been engulfed?! never did hear the final verdict for the fire but did see the carnage afterwards!! devastating!
Sep 8, 2019 7:48am
Board
There's rumored to be a Mapsurfer box in the area, but that's about as specific as I can get.
Sep 8, 2019 6:21pm
Board
Hey there, Perfect Pair!

First of all, you will love Hocking Hills. I was there with StarGirl and our husbands in 2017 and had the best time. We didn't get nearly as many boxes as we had wished, so I'll share the ones we got that we enjoyed either the box or its location.

The Grotto - great location and carve (Conkle's Hollow)

Conkle's Hollow Lizard - great location and carve (Conkle's Hollow)

Singer and Call of the Wild - (Rock House) Only the second box is available, but this is a Safari Man letterbox; it's an iconic find.

The Goblin King - great location (Ash Cave)

Love, True Love - great location (Cantwell Cliffs)

Cabin in the Woods great location (Cantwell Cliffs) - I had to include this since I planted it while there; it really is the coolest location :).

Kinded Spirits great location (Old Man's Cave)

I hope you have glorious weather while you are there.
AW
Sep 11, 2019 6:44pm
Board
Thank you everyone! We appreciate the tips!!
Reply to: #979393 by Perfect Pair
Sep 11, 2019 6:59pm
Board
Have such a good time.