A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Oldest Ohio Traditional Plant

Re: Oldest Ohio Traditional Plant
Board: State: Ohio
Reply to: #979198 by speedsquare
Sep 7, 2019 2:24pm
Board
According to Scoutdogs' logbook, all of her letterboxes are retired. But you are correct that she planted a number of boxes in 2002. I think that the oldest active Ohio plant can be determined (at least of the ones listed on AtlasQuest) if some has enough time and persistence.

I am trying to remember the name of a letterboxer that I met when I first started, but can't think of it. She has since gotten more into orienteering than letterboxing, but may have some real old plants out there. (I remember being impressed that she had 150 finds, which was a real achievement at that time!) -Rose
Reply to: #979246 by Rosmarinus
Sep 8, 2019 3:02am
Board
Gosh, I miss some of those folk! Scoutdogs carved my sig stamp for me! I had an email from Franz not too long ago.

I ran a search using Ohio as location, looking only at active, unknown and unavailable boxes, then sorted by date planted. According to that very rudimentary search, there is a FlyFisher "restoration box" that has been adopted and moved (twice) found in 2017, so 15 years.... Franz has one at 13 years (French Park)

This is such an interesting thread--if I were a bit younger I'd go after some of those oldest plants. Unfortunately, I do not do well in the underbrush, which is where so many of them will be.
Reply to: #979149 by Mama Stork
Sep 8, 2019 4:23pm
Board
And speaking of decluttering ... why do I have two Ohio gazetteers? If anyone has an interest in one of them, let me know.
Reply to: #979255 by Mama Stork
Sep 8, 2019 8:02pm
Board
Mama Stock, bring on the underbrush! If you can locate 'em I'll dig 'em out!

Cheryl / TMD
Reply to: #979279 by Team Mad Dawg
Nov 15, 2019 4:43pm
Board
Hey, franzsolo here. I was just browsing the boards and found this subject.
I started letterboxing in November of 2001.Went back and forth with flyfisher in Dayton Ohio.
My first plant was "pigs" but have no record of where I planted the box.
My first find was "Fort Ancient" by Polly.
My 1st attempt was Nov 5th 2001 It took me three tries ! I asked Polly for a hint but would NOT give me a brake ! :)

All these plants and finds were under "LETTERBOXING NORTH AMERICA" not Atlas Quest.
I joined AQ a few years later.
I had tons of fun meeting Ohio letterboxers . Finding great places to plant and hike also.
I really miss everybody due to there is not much boxing activity out here in the Northwest.But I do have a journal full of great stamped memories !!!
Hope everyone is doing well,

franzsolo...
Reply to: #981143 by franzsolo
Nov 15, 2019 6:51pm
Board
You are so missed! If you ever make it back to Ohio let us know. I miss chasing your boxes the day you planted them, lol.

Most of my finds for those first years were yours. I might just give those old ones out there a shot. I love a challenge!
Reply to: #981144 by Team Mad Dawg
Nov 16, 2019 5:40am
Board
I might just give those old ones out there a shot. I love a challenge!

Guess I'd better buy the industrial strength bug spray.....

We do miss you Franz!

Mama Stork, dreaming of a trip to the PNW
Reply to: #981156 by Mama Stork
Nov 16, 2019 11:36am
Board
I am suprised every time a find comes in my mailbox .
There are still lots of active boxes of mine still out there.
Good Luck !!
franzsolo...
Reply to: #979158 by Rosmarinus
Nov 27, 2019 7:51am
Board
Really??? That makes me happy Rosmarinus!!