A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Letterboxing clue notebook

Re: Letterboxing clue notebook
Board: State: Maine
Reply to: #978706 by angel treads
Aug 23, 2019 6:18am
Board
I still have mine and I use them. I set up watched box notifications when changes happen on AQ, then print the updated clue, (retired, unknown, unavailable, clue change) and replace the clues or pull them out of the book. I've got a book for each county in Maine, and books for parts of NH and MA that we visit the most. I also have an event binder with my checklist, the event box listings, PT listings and local traditional clues. Oh, and I have a binder for mystery clues so I go through that every now and then to see if I can figure them out.

Sometimes organizing my LB stuff motivates me to box, so I keep doing it this way.
Reply to: #978704 by Tri-Colored Paws
Aug 23, 2019 8:26am
Board
If you have clue tracker on your phone, you can do an advanced search for whatever area you area heading to and save the clues. That way there is no need to waste paper and the time to print. You can also find lbna clues on it as well. I use it all the time since I end up in places with no cell service regularly.

Only problem is rarely the clue does not load completely so good idea to check it out before you lose service.
Aug 23, 2019 8:36am
Board
Trails do not always allow me to use my phone for clues.

We were on vacation visiting family, and found ourselves having an unexpected free afternoon. Family did not have a printer, so I screen-shot the clues on my phone beforehand, and also texted them to &J.

Same situation visiting more family, but this time I screen-shot my iPad, and that worked out even better (old eyes need bigger font). It was unlikely that we would run across others on the trail and wonder about us and our iPad.

I still prefer paper, though. Beforehand, I highlight key landmarks, directions on how to get there, etc. and during/after I write notes about the clue, box needing maintenance, HH found, and things I would like to remember about the find.
Aug 23, 2019 8:58am
Board
What do you think is the most efficient way to set up a printed letterboxing clue notebook? Trails do not always allow me to use my phone for clues.

Set up? Just print out the clues for any planned boxing trip. Map it out and put the clues in the order you want to do them. If it's a last minute trip locally and I'm too lazy to walk into the other room to the printer I'll just do screenshots of the clues so no wifi needed at the box location. I don't have the luxury of this most of the time. Not much boxing locally so it's usually a planned trip of some kind.

To quote another post....

I just print the clues I need for any given trip. Once found - the individual sheets get tossed in the back seat! lol

Or I stick the found clues between the seat and the cup holder. lol

Technology is a wonderful thing but I'm not going to depend on it for boxing.
Reply to: #978705 by mudflinginfools
Aug 23, 2019 9:19am
Board
ah yes, depending on length of our boxing excursion, my back seat gets buried. :)
Aug 23, 2019 5:26pm
Board
I keep my printed ones for an outing/event on a clipboard. It usually works pretty well.
Reply to: #978709 by Jiffy
Aug 24, 2019 4:23am
Board
Thank you everyone for your responses on a notebook. I think your ideas will get me past my organizing block that is keeping me from being efficient.

I love the idea of county, town and then hike. I already use my phone and computer when I can. I will also try to set up new searches on AQ by "area" and see what happens.

Happy Boxing everyone!