Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Age or Inactivity to Attempt?

Re: Age or Inactivity to Attempt?
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #978401 by Brown Wolf
Aug 17, 2019 4:18am
Board
I like to look for those classic boxes!! As I live in an area with lots of boxes and we get lots of visitors, most seem to go for the more recently found boxes, so a lot of older boxes haven't been found in the last many years. Every so often, I take a few hours and see if I can find one of those treasures. I love to see the stamps of old friends--and those I never knew. And the rush of success is fantastic!!

So, no cutoff although I do choose base on history and time available.
Reply to: #978434 by Brown Wolf
Aug 17, 2019 8:21am
Board
I'm just a bit gun-shy I suppose. Because the last 2 boxes I attempted were somewhere around the 7 year mark, one was missing from where we supposed it should be, the other had missing landmarks to even get to it.

I envy you that you live in an area that’s so rich in available boxes. Around here we’ll be lucky to find 50% of searched for boxes on any given excursion. We’ve had days where we’ve only found one on our list. And those aren’t the necessarily 7 year old type, just plain old everyday hides.

If not finding 2 boxes discouraged me, I would’ve quit this game long ago.

I think it comes down to expectation and mind-set. Just know that a long unfound box probably won’t be there and the surprise of finding it will be that much sweeter.

So relax and enjoy the zen of the hunt, grasshopper.
😄
Aug 17, 2019 12:59pm
Board
City boxer - generally after no one finds it after 3-4 years. They just are so likely to be destroyed.
Reply to: #978445 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Aug 17, 2019 1:58pm
Board
Just know that a long unfound box probably won’t be there

You’re assuming it won’t be there? Too many people hunt for and find old and rarely found boxes for the word ‘probably’ to be the case. I think broad statements like that discourage people from making the effort.
Reply to: #978458 by MissMoon
Aug 17, 2019 2:46pm
Board
Too many people hunt for and find old and rarely found boxes for the word ‘probably’ to be the case.

I think there’s a correlation to the location. A box on a short walk in a high-traffic area or an urban box that hasn’t been found in years, is “probably” no longer there. But a box at the end of a long hike into a remote area, is quite likely to still be there, with long periods between very few finders.
Aug 17, 2019 4:54pm
Board
Too many people hunt for and find old and rarely found boxes for the word ‘probably’ to be the case.

Maybe, maybe not. I bet stats would bear me out if they were kept... at least in my case they do.

But as Wise Wanderer points out, it depends. If your goal is to find every box you search for you have to use a little common sense.

Personally, I don’t use long ago “last found” dates as a prerequisite for my searches. From what I read that’s a common attitude around here.

YMMV.
;~)
Aug 17, 2019 6:33pm
Board
I once went after a box that was planted in 03/05, found a couple times, then reported missing after an attempt was logged in 8/05. The planter had/still has it tagged MISSING next to the box name on LbNA, which was where I had printed my clues. Not sure how I didn't notice all that, but I went looking for it anyway. I found it in Feb 2016, right where the clues said it would be, missing the pile of sticks because the tree had grown around the box. That was the best.
Reply to: #978434 by Brown Wolf
Aug 17, 2019 6:38pm
Board
one was missing from where we supposed it should be, the other had missing landmarks to even get to it.

I feel your pain. I struck out many, many times recently. Even worse because I was showing my noxer friend how we do it. Ha!

Because I often seek older boxes with no luck, and because many times the landscape has changed significantly, I have evolved in how I plant boxes now. I rely less on landmarks that will inevitably change in favor of compass headings whenever possible, and I'm not in a hurry. I don't plant in stumps or fallen logs (except maybe close to home if I were going to maintain it). At least this way, you stand a chance of knowing which stump-that-used-to-be-a-tree is the one you're looking for.
Reply to: #978463 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Aug 18, 2019 2:05pm
Board
Personally, I don’t use long ago “last found” dates as a prerequisite for my searches.

Neither do I. But on the other hand I don’t dismiss a box because of it. And I think far too many people do. But then that may leave more old boxes safe and sound for me and others who want them. HEHHEHHEH
Reply to: #978460 by Wise Wanderer
Aug 18, 2019 2:09pm
Board
I think there’s a correlation to the location

Valid point. But that correlation wasn’t made in the statement I responded to. :)
Aug 18, 2019 4:54pm
Board
I recently found a box on my second try - the first try was 5 years ago with no luck. This time, I brought a friend who viewed the clue just differently enough to make the box findable. This isn't always the case, but sometimes.....
Aug 18, 2019 6:09pm
Board
No cutoff for us, either. We've found boxes with 8, 10, even 14 years in between finds for a whole host of reasons. If the area's pretty remote, it's typically more likely the box is still there somewhere. Even a couple of attempts won't discourage us for bringing the clues along with us on this type of hunt. We've also found that there's a significant correlation between length of hike and frequency of finds, so a lack of a recent find date on longer hikes would not bother us. We enjoy the added challenge of finding an older box.
Reply to: #978516 by Juanita Rojas
Aug 18, 2019 7:14pm
Board
That’s very cool. It’s just so weird how people can see it differently. And some clues can be interpreted in such different ways.
Reply to: #978523 by Nairon
Aug 19, 2019 2:53pm
Board
All this thread has shown is that the “old last finds” setting on AQ searches is bad, very bad. I’m not opposed to it being there as an option, but I think the default for new players should be “off” because far to many people are unaware those preferences even exist. Perfectly good letterboxes are being forgotten, and since new people don’t know they are there to find, that old last find just gets older.

Whenever I’m in an area where I remember finding boxes before, I check up on them for maintenance. I have an alias I use explicitly to log new finds to keep them in searches, but I can’t “refind” every old box that is still viable.

K
Reply to: #978573 by Kelsung
Aug 19, 2019 3:44pm
Board
All this thread has shown is that the “old last finds” setting on AQ searches is bad, very bad. I’m not opposed to it being there as an option, but I think the default for new players should be “off” because far to many people are unaware those preferences even exist. Perfectly good letterboxes are being forgotten

I didn’t even know that was a default setting. I joined so long ago I don’t remember if it was then or not. Wow. It’s been shown over and over by the questions asked on the boards that new boxers often don’t explore the site and see their options. So you make a great point!
Reply to: #978576 by MissMoon
Aug 19, 2019 4:12pm
Board
It’s been shown over and over by the questions asked on the boards that new boxers often don’t explore the site and see their options.

They are too busy basking in the Glory of The Wassa Widget. All other thoughts and plans fall by the wayside once one dives into that rabbit hole. I should have named it "The Wassa Hole" instead. Oh wait... Maybe not...
Reply to: #978576 by MissMoon
Aug 19, 2019 8:11pm
Board
Well before I stir up something unintentionally, could Ryan or another admin confirm whether those search options are “opt in” or “opt out”? When someone new signs up, do their searches automatically hide 3 strikeouts, 12 month old last finds and 12 month old abandoned listings?

K
Reply to: #978577 by wassamatta u
Aug 20, 2019 6:02am
Board
They are too busy basking in the Glory of The Wassa Widget. All other thoughts and plans fall by the wayside once one dives into that rabbit hole. I should have named it "The Wassa Hole" instead.

Speaking of Wassa’s Hole, maybe you could toot your own horn a bit and explain where one goes to get this wonderful widget and what the virtues of it are.
Reply to: #978593 by DarkZen and Evil Cow Pie
Aug 20, 2019 7:11am
Board
Let's not talk of "Wassa's Hole" and tooting in the same sentence please
Sep 1, 2019 9:01am
Board
I don’t have a cutoff here in FL if there aren’t any attempts. In CT, if it hasn’t been found in years and isn’t a mystery, then I might keep that for later on when I need something to do.