Skip to Content
Register · Login
About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Wrong stamp in box...Solutions?

Re: Wrong stamp in box...Solutions?
Board: Letterboxing Help Desk
Reply to: #978290 by Mama Dee
Aug 12, 2019 12:35pm
Board
I found a box recently where a previous boxer accidentally took the letterbox stamp & left their signature stamp in the letterbox.

How would you know that? Isn't it just as likely that the original stamp went missing and the letterbox owner put in a replacement stamp so that people who found the box had something to find?
Reply to: #978297 by Wronghat
Aug 12, 2019 1:26pm
Board
How would you know that?

If I had to guess, it would be from looking at the logbook.
Aug 12, 2019 5:00pm
Board
The person who left their sig stamp in the box & probably mistakingly took the real stamp isn't listed on AQ.

Did you try LBNA? Could you tell from the logbook what date they stamped in? Maybe it's someone who has since changed their trail name. If you reveal the name that you think belongs to the stamp, maybe someone will recognize it as a family member of another boxer, or a scout from a troop of newbies, or . . . (?) It seems unlikely they would have a trail stamp and not be registered somewhere.
Aug 12, 2019 5:40pm
Board
See if they are listed on LbNA.
Reply to: #978297 by Wronghat
Aug 12, 2019 7:36pm
Board
In the letterbox logbook, the stamp signed "The Christians", dated & city/state is the stamp that was left in the letterbox. That led to me concluding they probably mistakingly left their sig stamp & put the real stamp in the box.

Would someone stamp a replacement stamp & sign their name like that?
Reply to: #978312 by Mama Dee
Aug 12, 2019 7:46pm
Board
The box is "The General's Bag" #255065 hidden in Nathan Bedford Forrest SP, Tennessee.
The owners are BrothersStamp and
KC Explorers.
The assumed sig stamp (according to logbook) belongs to The Christians, dated October 14, 2018, from a local city.
Yes, I checked LBNA, and no, the box isn't listed there, nor is the member (The Christians).
Reply to: #978312 by Mama Dee
Aug 12, 2019 8:28pm
Board
In the letterbox logbook, the stamp signed "The Christians", dated & city/state is the stamp that was left in the letterbox.

Yikes. Maybe they thought that in letterboxing you exchange the stamp you have with the stamp you find.
Reply to: #978314 by Mama Dee
Aug 12, 2019 8:34pm
Board
There's a boxer named Christian's Christian on AQ. Only 20 or so finds, but logbook is private, so no way to see what they've found recently. There's three other names that include "Christian" also.
Reply to: #978316 by Wise Wanderer
Aug 12, 2019 8:51pm
Board
Thanks! I did check all those. There are always possibilities, but what info were on those 4 pages mostly excluded them (1 active was from wrong area, the other had a viewable logbook). The other 2 haven't logged anything since 2014 which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't still boxing.

I messaged the owner & planter as RDHG suggested.

Any thoughts?
Reply to: #978316 by Wise Wanderer
Aug 12, 2019 8:55pm
Board
There's a boxer named Christian's Christian on AQ.

They haven't had any logged finds in almost a decade, and nothing even remotely close to that box, so... highly unlikely to be them. Nice sleuthing, though! It seemed, based on the info you had, to be a good possibility.
Aug 13, 2019 12:47am
Board
Did you reach out to Birdwell? They might have done a little digging, too. https://www.atlasquest.com/showinfo.php?boxId=255065