About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Letterboxes on Interstate/Highway Search

Letterboxes on Interstate/Highway Search
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Aug 12, 2019 8:28am
Board
I recently planted a couple of boxes along interstates, one at a view area on I-17, and two off an exit on I-84 in Utah. I did one on I-11 as well :) I was just wondering how to get the box to show up in the Simple Search -> Trip Search, in the various highways you can choose. I tried I-17 Mile 0 - End of Road, and don't see my box. Same goes for I-84 (West).

Is there anything special I have to do for my box to show up there? I of course am happy when my boxes are found, so it'd be nice to have it show up in the search, since they are intended to be quick interstate grabs.

Thanks!
Re: Letterboxes on Interstate/Highway Search
Reply to: #978285 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 9:13am
Board
I searched on Coconino National Forest and can see your box listing.
Then I searched on Flagstaff and could see that it's about 27 miles south as the crow flies.

Can you put a nearest town name in the location portion of the clues?

just my $.02
GG
Reply to: #978287 by Grrly Girl
Aug 12, 2019 11:01am
Board
For both this one and my Utah one, I used the pin drop for "custom location"

...so now it appears as a blue pin in the map search for "exact location."

But maybe there's something special I need to do to have it included in the route search.
Reply to: #978285 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 11:36am
Board
I recently planted a couple of boxes along interstates, one at a view area on I-17, and two off an exit on I-84 in Utah. I did one on I-11 as well

I-11?
Crap.
*goes to update my profile*
Reply to: #978291 by Eidolon
Aug 12, 2019 11:49am
Board
It's the newest interstate in the US. It's the US-93 corridor between Phoenix and Las Vegas that is being upgraded to interstate. The first section, between the Hoover Dam and Vegas was just completed at the end of last year.

I made a letterbox for it. Hahaha.

I don't see it in the dropdown list of highways/letterboxes in AQ's route search. I guess AQ needs to be updated :)
Reply to: #978289 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 1:29pm
Board
For both this one and my Utah one, I used the pin drop for "custom location"

The problem seems to be that custom locations are treated as mystery locations as the software geocoder does not know where a specific long/lat is located in the human world, as crazy as that sounds. I noticed that I had several boxes listed as mystery boxes because I used custom coordinates as the location instead of a street address and city name. changing the location in the clues to the nearest town and state actually helped get the boxes to show up in the right searches.
Reply to: #978300 by PI Joe
Aug 12, 2019 6:44pm
Board
The problem seems to be that custom locations are treated as mystery locations as the software geocoder does not know where a specific long/lat is located in the human world, as crazy as that sounds.

That would explain why I haven't been notified about the new one in Utah. From the description given I should have been notified.

I look forward to seeing where it is. Then I can plan a trip.
Reply to: #978300 by PI Joe
Aug 12, 2019 10:05pm
Board
The problem seems to be that custom locations are treated as mystery locations as the software geocoder does not know where a specific long/lat is located in the human world, as crazy as that sounds. I noticed that I had several boxes listed as mystery boxes because I used custom coordinates as the location instead of a street address and city name. changing the location in the clues to the nearest town and state actually helped get the boxes to show up in the right searches.

Actually you just need to edit the custom location. I have done this about 10,000 times (or more; Ryan would have to run a query to see my total number of custom locations).

Basically, save the coordinates as 50.655251, -3.977487 then click the pencil then 'Edit Custom Location'. MOST of the time AQ will then successfully look up the city/state information. If not, do it manually.

In either case, you now have a letterbox listed as 50.655251 -3.977487, Okehampton, Devon, England, United Kingdom so it will show up in a search correctly.

The problem is that you first have to ADD the coordinates to the AQ database. Then it will try to match the AQ entry to the online ones. AQ isn't capable of doing both at the same time.
Reply to: #978321 by Eidolon
Aug 15, 2019 11:17pm
Board
Ok, thanks! I didn't know that about custom location. Sometimes I don't know how great my clues are xD so I like to include the pin as a starting point. Haha.