A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Hitch Hiker Hostel

Re: Hitch Hiker Hostel
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Reply to: #978284 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 12, 2019 6:38pm
Board
I've seen in the geocaching world that some airports have Travel Bug Hostels near them, [...] thus encouraging them to get around. Not sure if that's an idea for letterboxing or not.

This would be the advantage of the area that I was considering for a HHH. It is about a mile (as the crow flies) from the Ogden Airport; it would be about two miles driving. This airport is a regional airport so I don't seeing it getting a lot of letterboxing traffic. Maybe this won't actually be an advantage.
Reply to: #978309 by Oberon_Kenobi
Aug 15, 2019 11:22pm
Board
That's why I'm thinking a major passenger airport. Have you considered somewhere around the SLC airport? I know airports are tricky because they're pretty crowded, and then there are security concerns about hiding unmarked boxes around... but maybe somewhere off of Redwood Rd. or North Temple or somewhere nearby - a spot where someone to/from the airport with a few minutes of extra time could conveniently stop.

One disadvantage of letterboxes compared to geocaches is that they tend to be bigger, since they need room for the stamp. HHHs need to be even bigger to be able to host multiple stamps, thus the camo bag solution wouldn't work.

I lived in SLC about 10 years ago and am not too familiar with that area today, but just a thought I figured I could suggest.
Reply to: #978391 by Worlds Wolf
Aug 16, 2019 6:45am
Board
I don't live close enough to properly maintain it. I also don't know where a good place would be. Perhaps one of the boxers in SLC would do it.
Reply to: #978102 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Aug 16, 2019 6:55am
Board
If you send me the link to the HHH in San Antonio I can check up on it.
Reply to: #978396 by Hotcakes
Aug 19, 2019 9:07am
Board
I saw it so long ago... I will look again. I'm not sure where it was.
Reply to: #978561 by Fantastic Mrs. Fox
Aug 19, 2019 9:36pm
Board
I'm pretty sure this is Mosaic Butterfly's; I'm also pretty sure she maintains it. Go for the fun of it, though. All the planting out that way makes me want to move!
Reply to: #978582 by Wry Me
Aug 20, 2019 6:11am
Board
Yes, you need to move to Austin!
Reply to: #978098 by Boingochick
Aug 20, 2019 7:20am
Board
I was thinking about starting a HHH but not sure about proper protocol. I think one stays in as the main stamp for the box and maybe rules on taking all at once? any tips/advice anyone wants to share?

Go ahead and plant the HHH if you want to. See how it goes. After a reasonable amount of time, if it isn't as active as you want it to be, retire it, and send any remaining HHs on their way in other boxes.

Just cause it doesn't work for some, and just cause some people don't like HHs and/or HHHs, doesn't mean that you shouldn't try it for yourself, and have some fun with it.

Go for it. I'd love to hear your results. I'm not as active anymore, but I liked HHs and HHHs. Gave me a chance to see others' artwork.

Sometimes I visit a local HHH just for the heck of it. Last time I checked, there weren't any HHs in it. I was disappointed.

You'll never know if you don't try. :^)
Reply to: #979272 by BelladonnaTook
Sep 8, 2019 4:38pm
Board
Probably better to not post your phone number. Even though letterboxers are a friendly lot, there may be some other lurkers that aren't so friendly. It would be better to post a message and have Adventurous Acorn contact you via email for your phone number.

You can edit the message to remove the phone number.
Reply to: #979275 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 8, 2019 9:23pm
Board
Probably better to not post your phone number.

I deleted the post and copied it to Acorn's AQ mail. Who knows if Acorn would see it on the message boards, after all? And who knows if Belladonna will log in to see your reply!

-- Ryan
Reply to: #979275 by Oberon_Kenobi
Sep 9, 2019 4:39am
Board
Thanks so much, I appreciate it.
Ruth