Search Edit

Read Thread: Dozier School for Boys

Dozier School for Boys
Board: Stamp Swap
Jul 17, 2019 3:42pm
Board
Get a hanky ready and read up:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article231763513.html

There are zillions of other articles online; just do a Google search for "Dozier School for Boys".

To summarize: The Dozier School for Boys was where boys were sent when somebody didn't want to deal with them any more, and a great many of them were brutally murdered and never heard from again. Over the past few years, the official cemetery there was dug up and the remains studied to try to identify the lost children. Now it appears there may be more gravesites hidden elsewhere around the property, so another investigation is soon to begin.

The site is in Marianna, Florida. This is a couple of hours' drive from me, and it'd probably be a lousy place to plant anyway since there is an investigation going on. However, the remains that were exhumed during the first investigation have now been reinterred in a cemetery in Tallahassee -- just down the road from me! We drive past that cemetery regularly.

I have no idea what sort of stamp image would be appropriate, if any. If anyone has any ideas, let's talk about it. Perhaps someone can carve something suitably respectful and send it to me, and I can plant it.

When and if the investigations end for good, we can talk about planting something at the site in Marianna. It's a drive for me, but I'm still perhaps the closest active letterboxer.
Re: Dozier School for Boys
Reply to: #977382 by Kirbert
Jul 17, 2019 6:00pm
Board
That's really tragic and so sad. The only thing that came to mind immediately was the little poem we used to say as kids, a LONG time ago - "little boys are made of nails, and snails, and puppy dog tails". I know such gender-specific cliches are no longer considered 'politically correct'. But I still think some things traditionally associated with little boys would be a sweet and respectful tribute to the childhood they missed out on. I'm thinking a bicycle, a basketball or baseball & bat, a dog, a fishing pole (with a fish held up by a little boy) and so on, give them the innocent joys of days long ago, that they never got to experience.
Reply to: #977383 by Wise Wanderer
Jul 18, 2019 5:35am
Board
My thoughts were similar - focus on what these lives that were cut short could have contained if these boys were only given a chance. When you have settled on a theme I would be happy to contribute - I may be in CT, but have followed the story for a number of years.

LL
Reply to: #977382 by Kirbert
Jul 18, 2019 7:54am
Board
Peter Pan and the Lost Boys came to mind.

What a sad story. :(