About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Have you ever...

Have you ever...
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jul 10, 2019 11:35am
Board
returned to the same out of the way spot multiple times to spend hours and hours looking for a particular box, been pretty sure you found the spot but no box appears, sat down on a rock in abject despair to read the clue for roughly the thousands time, wandered around retrying the clue a couple diffrent ways, given up, returned to the rock of so-close-sadness to pout, only to discover the box was right where you poked around for it a half day ago...
...because I have.
Re: Have you ever...
Reply to: #977151 by Quarry
Jul 10, 2019 11:59am
Board
Sounds familiar. Actually I did go to St. Louis (100 mi drive) with someone and we looked and looked for a box and couldn't find it. Swore it was missing. I went back a long time after that by myself and walked right to it. We must have been blind.
Jul 10, 2019 12:21pm
Board
I've read clues totally wrong and gone the wrong way until I read them again, thought back to a particular point, called myself an idiot, walked back and then walked the right way. I tell myself "It's exercise".

Let's see.....found a box by accident in the right spot on my way back from searching the wrong spot.

Been with another boxer and we walked WAYYYY further than we had to, gave up, walked back , saw the landmark we missed, found the box where we should have looped back.

I could probably go on but you get the point! lol I think we all feel your pain. lol

I always say "What happens on the trail stays on the trail". heh
Jul 10, 2019 12:29pm
Board
Just last week! I poked in a certain stump about a thousand times. I would go look in other stumps and then return to this one, certain this was it, but no box. Less than a week later someone else found it, so I returned to try again. Sure enough, it WAS in the stump. Still not sure how I missed it, I poked all over in the decomposing wood and dirt, right where it was. Sort of embarassing, really. :)
Jul 10, 2019 12:36pm
Board
There's a box I've gone to twice so far, and I know right where it should be but, cannot access it due to poison ivy / thorn bushes. I tried hacking my way through last time to no avail. There was one last week, like you say, I was just about to give up on after poking all around and then I was like, "Well, let's try THIS." Bingo. Adventures in letterboxing 101.
Reply to: #977156 by Guinea Pigs
Jul 10, 2019 1:17pm
Board
Speaking of stumps. Recently the tree I had hidden a box in fell, leaving a huge stump. The boxer who discovered the fallen tree looked all over for the box, including among the cut up debris waiting to be hauled off. I drove 45 min. to the town to check it out myself, looked in the stump and all around and couldn't find it. So I recarved the large stamp and another boxer and I again drove to the park to find a new hiding spot. She reached in the stump and pulled out the original box--right where it was supposed to be.
Jul 10, 2019 4:05pm
Board
I've had people follow my clues, sit down to mull it over/pout, and then remember Estella's rules. Usually within 30 seconds, they find the box.
Jul 10, 2019 6:08pm
Board
I was looking for a box that no one had found in nearly 10 years. Then we figured either our math was off, paces were too short.... something. Went back several times. Figured out the phone number might have been changed on the sign and nearly gave up, but I though, eh, a branch that looks like a knee.... went down a bunch more and found it. Actually in good condition too. Hidden for 10 years untouched.
Jul 11, 2019 4:30am
Board
Actually the first box we ever went after was just like that. We tried couldn't find it the first time, tried couldn't find it, the third time realized years later what we had done wrong went back and found it.
Reply to: #977167 by Public Hand
Jul 11, 2019 12:09pm
Board
Years later! Whew. That gives me hope, because I have one that I've visited twice now and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I've been told it's a tricky one, so I believe it's still there and I'm just not getting the last clue. I'll stew on it a little longer.
Reply to: #977171 by Guinea Pigs
Jul 12, 2019 2:18pm
Board
My partner went on a trail that had 4 boxes. When we came to the first spot, we both looked & looked at every tree and rock in the immediate area - no box. We found the second one and because of time, gave up for the day. We went back two weeks later, tried the first one again and failed. We found the other two and in one last attempt we finally found the first one - right where we had been looking all along. If it was a snake, it would have bitten us.
Jul 12, 2019 4:05pm
Board
Yes. That is all I will say. <ashamed>