About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Medicine Bottles

Medicine Bottles
Board: Tools of the Trade
Jul 10, 2019 10:43am
Board
Do I need to add anything to medicine bottles (for pills) to make them water resistant?
Re: Medicine Bottles
Reply to: #977148 by The Lost Boys
Jul 10, 2019 11:26am
Board
I have used a coat or two of rubberized spray paint, more to camafologe the bright orange than for waterproofing. All plastics degrade and become brittle when exposed to sunlight so a coat of paint or tape can extend the life of your box quite a bit.
Jul 10, 2019 12:11pm
Board
Do you mean the orange-ish pill bottles from pharmacies?
I tried several times to get them waterproof.
No matter what I did, over time they leaked and ruined the stamps.
They were hanging on tree trunks, not sitting on the ground.
I finally gave them away.
Back to LnL style boxes.
Jul 10, 2019 12:38pm
Board
Some people add desiccant packets to their boxes to attempt to keep stuff drier .... it's hard to add much into a pill bottle due to their size tho .... best to use them somewhere off the ground to avoid water seeping in.
Jul 10, 2019 12:57pm
Board
I have some that have been out in the wild for over four years now they seem to be doing alright for the most part. Big part is location of the hidden bottle, because nothing that I have tried makes them water proof only water resistant. If you can find a small bag, that fits inside, that is water tight, you might be good to go.
Jul 10, 2019 5:12pm
Board
I tested them a few years back. The bottles with a push-and-twist childproof cap leaked. The ones with a screw-on top, sometimes the same top flipped over, leaked. The ones with a cheap snap-on cover didn't leak.