A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Brokeback Mountain - the book vs movie

Brokeback Mountain - the book vs movie
Board: Reading Room
Jul 1, 2019 3:46am
Board
I haven't seen the movie.
Last week I found a copy of the book in an LFL.
Quick read, measured in minutes, not hours.

With all I had heard about the movie, beautiful love story, cherished friendship through the years, etc. I was expecting to like the book.
I find books to almost always be superior to the movie.

I disliked the two main characters. Was I missing something that the movie expanded upon?
Re: Brokeback Mountain - the book vs movie
Reply to: #976848 by Grrly Girl
Jul 1, 2019 6:22am
Board
I'll admit that it's been many years since I saw the movie. I saw two men who were troubled. They knew they shared something powerful but truly believed that it was wrong and disgusting, and that they should be ashamed of it, so they were scared and angry. I didn't find them unlikable at all, more pitiable, as we were viewing them at their lowest and most vunerable. I found it incredibly touching and heartbreaking. I've also been a fan of both actors ever since, because I was in awe of the raw emotions, the agony they made so palpable.

I too have always preferred the book versions over movie versions, but I haven't read this book so I can't compare on this one.
Jul 1, 2019 7:02am
Board
It was originally a short story. That's what you read? I saw the movie but never read the original story or the expanded one. So it's hard to compare.

Ennis Del Mar to me, was portrayed as a very wounded person emotionally, closed up, father was very stoic. The relationship seemed to be very hard for him to accept yet he remained drawn to Jack Twist in spite of that and became angry because Twist had to continue to divide his time between Del Mar and his marriage, family and job.

Twist seemed to always be angry because as the years passed he wanted them to have an open relationship and Del Mar realized that in their world that could be dangerous.

I can't say I disliked their characters for any particular reason. Maybe I'll check out the story.
Reply to: #976852 by MissMoon
Jul 1, 2019 9:16am
Board
Yes, the book is only about 50 pages.
I'm sure it's not the topic that bothered me.
I think it probably stems from all of the hype the movie received.

Your analysis seems closer to the book than what was said about the movie.

I'll stop by the LFL tomorrow morning to see if the book is still there.
I just dropped it off this morning.
I'll send it to you (or meet you on the LG trail) if I can get it back.
Reply to: #976863 by Grrly Girl
Jul 1, 2019 9:31am
Board
I think it probably stems from all of the hype the movie received.

As is unfortunately often the case.
Jul 1, 2019 9:21pm
Board
This movie came out 14 years ago and the response to the subject matter was quite different than what it would be today. I thought the movie was extraordinarily beautiful and was so pleased that this story not only made it to the screen but was distributed so widely.

When I found out it had come from a short story from one of my favorite writers, Annie Proulx, I read it. I was amazed that the screenplay brought the story to life so well.

I own the DVD and will have to watch it again to see how it sounds/looks in this day and age.

DoubleSaj