About Theme

A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Update: Life

Update: Life
Board: Letterbox Chatter
Jun 11, 2019 3:30pm
Board
I hope this message finds you well. It's been a long time since I've been on this site. This is going to be a doozy for me, so sit back and buckle up!
I want to explain why I've been gone so long from letterboxing. It's actually a mixture of a bunch of things .
First we're going to talk about why it was so hard for me to come back to the site . Somethin that wants head held so much joy had turned into almost a nightmare. I have never felt anxiety the way I had when I had opend atlasquest. I couldn't talk to my friends who had been stamping by my side for many years. I was ashamed of my anxiety and couldn't force myself to come back to the site. It seems silly looking back on it. It's hard even now, but I have a ray of hope. A potential boxing buddy. A new friend who found one of my boxes by accident. I'm hoping to show her the wonders of boxing and reconnect with people I've missed.
Secondly, it's with difficult news to tell you all that MissMo is going in for surgery next month. She's 14 now - hard to believe she's so grown up - but was diagnosed with a low grade brain tumor - a little bigger than a jellybean - and has been through numerous years of tests now. Many of you all were super kind to her as she was often one of the youngest to spend time with us. I'm sure she'll be fine, but to know why she's not been up to joining me. She's endured a lot, but she's using sarcasm and dark humor to get by.
Then there's my son - SuperGav. It's been tough with dealing with his mental issues as well, taking up a lot of free time.
So here I am, I think 4 years after my last boxing attempt, trying to come back. I missed you guys.....
Re: Update: Life
Reply to: #976246 by SeerMeesh
Jun 11, 2019 3:33pm
Board
It is an absolute joy to welcome you back!!!
Reply to: #976247 by wassamatta u
Jun 11, 2019 4:24pm
Board
Thanks. And one of my first acts of business is to check my boxes.
Reply to: #976249 by SeerMeesh
Jun 11, 2019 4:48pm
Board
I don't know you, but I very nearly went looking for a few of your boxes today. Instead I searched in vain for some very old Mathman boxes, but it is still pretty funny to log in here and see your name pop up. Tell me which series is hardest for you to get to and I can make them my goal this week and send you updates, if you want. I'm fairly equidistant to all of your series, which is why I recognized your name right away. :)
Reply to: #976251 by Guinea Pigs
Jun 11, 2019 5:21pm
Board
I'm looking to go to Menomonee Park on the 23rd. Those seem to be bad and there are 4 loops so I'll be there all day. Then I'm looking to check in at Algonquin Park, Kletzch park and Fox River Park in July. Brown Deer's series may be a wash as there were quite a few missing already. Trying to remember what else I have out there.... lol.
Reply to: #976251 by Guinea Pigs
Jun 11, 2019 5:22pm
Board
Always looking for a travel buddy!
Reply to: #976254 by SeerMeesh
Jun 18, 2019 6:46pm
Board
Changing dates to fix routes.
Reply to: #976246 by SeerMeesh
Jun 18, 2019 10:31pm
Board
What was it about AQ that gave you anxiety?
Reply to: #976455 by The Lost Boys
Jun 20, 2019 10:48am
Board
It started with a fight between me and my boxing buddy that dissolved our friendship. Then I didn't want to run into her, so I started to LTC. It wasn't as fulfilling and I still had a lot of time. Then my kids didn't want to go as much, but do other things, so I signed up for more, but my creativity failed me and deadlines closed in. Just bringing out the pink stuff made my heart race and have me hyperventilating and freaking out. I felt like I wasn't good enough and I was letting everyone down, but I couldn't stop. I couldn't talk to anyone on AQ because I was feeling judged even though no one was. It was all in my head. And even though I say all of this out loud, I still have those feelings. I'm just missing boxing enough to try again. Fingers crossed.
Reply to: #976478 by SeerMeesh
Jun 20, 2019 4:05pm
Board
Welcome back! Sorry this hobby brought you anxiety. I’ve been boxing only 2.5 years now and use it as an outlet, it helps get me out in the wilds and have made some friends through it. I hope it starts to bring you joy again.
Jun 21, 2019 3:06am
Board
I totally get how anxiety can get in your head and distort reality. I hope you are able to find joy in boxing again, and I applaud you for taking a deep breath and coming back.

If you ever get to SW OH, let me know. I promise judgement free boxing!
Jun 21, 2019 6:20pm
Board
A few years ago, I had an incident between myself and someone else and almost stopped letterboxing. What brought me back was an LTC tracker and I just was drawn back first into carving and second into boxing again. In the end, I didn't let what happened between us stop me from pursuing a hobby that I love. An additional thing that also helped was that I did a carve that was carthartic for my mental health to let me get past what happened in our relationship. It really worked for me. I hope you can get past what happened so that you can once again enjoy the hobby that you love!!

Lynn
Reply to: #976536 by Phoenix Rizing
Jun 21, 2019 6:31pm
Board
And we are all VERY glad you are still here!!! One of my favorite boxing memories was planting with you in Long Island... at a police kiosk! We were idiots, but had a blast!
Reply to: #976538 by wassamatta u
Jun 21, 2019 7:03pm
Board
I think that stamp is still there!!

Thanks, Wassa, that means a lot. I just love to carve and that stamp was an awesome tribute to you!! And I teach others to carve now and that would never have happened either.

Lynn