A Letterboxing Community

Search Edit Search

Read Thread: Safari Man Quest

Safari Man Quest
Board: State: Ohio
May 28, 2019 4:50pm
Board
Hello Ohio!

This past weekend, the MI4 (separately known as 4EyesMcGee, Dawnkey, LaLaBirds, and Angel Winks) spent 3 solid days letterboxing on the eastern side of Ohio with the goal of finding as many Safari Man letterboxes and doing maintenance and providing updated clue comments, if needed.

THE RESULT: Finding 40 amazing letterbox carves, including several that hadn't been found in many years. One highlight was being first finders on a plant that had been "in the wild" for almost 10 years.

We did run into a few parks that were just too overgrown to investigate (early spring/late fall would be a better season for these parks!). Rats.

In the end, the MI4 wished we could have found and checked on more of Safari Man's OVER 150 active or unknown letterboxes. We love that we, in a sense, resurrected some of these iconic plants. And we'd like to encourage others to do the same...these letterboxes are worth every effort and it's a letterbox road trip of a lifetime. Or, if you are blessed enough to live near some of his letterboxes and can check them, update the clues, and let others know they are alive and well, how wonderful that would be for this hobby!

We look forward to making more memories in Ohio, whether it's attending an event, visiting one of your wonderful cities, or finding some of the many, many letterboxes you have placed for others' enjoyment. Carry on!
Re: Safari Man Quest
Reply to: #975603 by Angel Winks
Jun 15, 2019 1:27pm
Board
Thanks so much for the maintenance work and glad you had a good time. I am SUPER jealous about the first find, I must have been among the masses that missed it! I took a niece to find some of his plants at Mountwood Park east of Parkersburg, W. Va. yesterday and several had been "relocated" out in the open. Grrrr!
Re: Safari Man Quest
Reply to: #975603 by Angel Winks
Jun 21, 2019 5:29am
Board
Wow, how exciting! I'm hoping to do the same sometime soon! His boxes are most definitely worth the time!